Is a Bike Fitter Enough?

Ncayi

11 hours ago, ChrisF said:

True enough ...

In fairness, I give them a 2nd even a 3rd chance .... we all have a bad day ....

Now I ask Mark if he can fit in my bike for a major service .... he will then either take it, or ask that I bring it after the next big event as he is working late into the night to service bikes for the next event.

On the flip side .... when I pop in with an urgent repar I get my bike that afternoon.

Chris thanks for the coffee again 😁. What job do you do again? How many times do you go back before you get paid? A bike is pretty simple. Not saying I know it all don't get me wrong. The shop should have a checklist they run off for every job. It eliminates crappy work. Ask the customer to have a ride before they drive off. It is not hard to get it right. There are a lot of complaints here about bike shops. They need to improve to get my money. As mentioned I have my guy now. He is good. He doesn't like me coming back so he gets it right first time 🙈😂

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Lynskey said:

Yes. You are correct. I have now found the right mechanic for "me". I sit and talk to him while he works on my bike. No *** no story. I am happy to pay for good service. I am not happy to pay for stupidity. Seems there is a lot of that around here. You do you boss. I will do me. I fall out with a lot of people. I don't like lies either. My world is small but the people in it are pretty much all my best friends. 

I didn't need a justified story, I just felt you have had a lot of bad experiences or people are not up to your expectations. Nothing else. 

Just now, J Wakefield said:

I didn't need a justified story, I just felt you have had a lot of bad experiences or people are not up to your expectations. Nothing else. 

You got it for free. Free Friday. I don't do feelings or opinions. There are too many of them out there. Enjoy your Friday. #freefriday

7 minutes ago, Lynskey said:

You got it for free. Free Friday. I don't do feelings or opinions. There are too many of them out there. Enjoy your Friday. #freefriday

Yes, I got that on the 1st story.

51 minutes ago, Lynskey said:

Eeerrrmm maybe it’s just me but I sense a lot of emotion (also known as feelings or passion) projected in your posts. 

#justobserving

ps: nice forum handle btw, one of my favourite brands 

6 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Eeerrrmm maybe it’s just me but I sense a lot of emotion (also known as feelings or passion) projected in your posts. 

#justobserving

ps: nice forum handle btw, one of my favourite brands 

Nope. But you are correct. My opinions. And yes correct best kept ro myself. Thank you for your observation. Out of here for the day.

Some people will never, as in never be satisfied.

Also people gullibly fall for anyone who talks a big game, or builds a hype around themselves, yet they don’t have enough experience, taking the gullible ones hard earned cash without giving them what they paid for.

To add, bike fitting is also not the mystical hard science many make it out to be, maximum power transfer and comfort is what makes a bike fit well.

Another thing to bear in mind, no amount of bike fitting will ever fix poor body conditioning, such as core upper body strength and a regular post ride stretching regime.

Lastly, if I visit 10 car mechanics and I’m not happy with any of them, they may not all be the problem.

There, shoot me now.

It’s Friday.

Wow… so a guy asks about recommending bike fitting options and then by natural twists and bumps we arrive with a dude who finally found the best mechanic? Sounds like a Netflix series in the making? 🤭

Love U guys. Just keep pedalling.

The nature of the beast.... you know it's a good thread when you have a globally relevant coach throwing in chirps along with the 'local' articulate velominati, it makes for informative and entertaining distraction.

And while the question of bikefit could probably eventually be solved mathematically, the nuances surrounding 'the client's physiology and their needs in being comfortable on a bike (or is there more to it than this, fundamentally) may sometimes be lost in pursuit of (the fitter's) sweetspot. By comfortable I mean being able to ride, for example, a road bike in the drops for some time without undue perineal pressure, sore wrists etc etc. 

My own experience in coming back from a pelvic fracture induced asymmetry was 3 months of biokinetic therapy after 2 months of physio. After that I was still prone to injury because I believe of muscle compensating (eg overusing tibialis anterior on the downstroke).

Maybe Ncayi (he may already) could try throttling back for say 4 weeks to z1 riding on flat roads, focusing on say a cadence goal of 90, while continuing with, and maintaining the habit of, therapy or exercise to strengthen his posterior chain. Maybe finding a less quad dominant position. Lots of maybes. Maybe taking what he's learnt so far, actively learning more, and tinkering will be his solution. Just maybe

22 minutes ago, buckstopper said:

Maybe Ncayi (he may already) could try throttling back for say 4 weeks to z1 riding on flat roads, focusing on say a cadence goal of 90, while continuing with, and maintaining the habit of, therapy or exercise to strengthen his posterior chain. Maybe finding a less quad dominant position. Lots of maybes. Maybe taking what he's learnt so far, actively learning more, and tinkering will be his solution. Just maybe

Thats exactly what I am doing at the moment but indoors for now.

I also plan to go back to a 50-34 chainring as I can maintain 85-90 rpm on any terrain. When I moved to Gauteng, I installed a 52-36 with an 11-28 at the back and I immediately noticed a drop in my cadence to 78-82 rpm. I lived in the Vaal, and it was pancake flat so there were no major issues.

When I moved to JHB I kept the gears the same which was a mistake because the terrain here is less forgiving. The amount of abuse I have got from that hill from republic road to the top of Bryston has been hectic.

I've just come back from a follow up session with my bike fitter.

I thought I was pretty close on my setup after having changed my saddle a year or 2 back, but some slight changes from his side and I'm so much more relaxed on the bike.

Will give it a good test tomorrow morning.

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

I've just come back from a follow up session with my bike fitter.

I thought I was pretty close on my setup after having changed my saddle a year or 2 back, but some slight changes from his side and I'm so much more relaxed on the bike.

Will give it a good test tomorrow morning.

“just came back”……. Jinna boeta its still early days.

I’ve been trying to find a comfortable saddle since 1989, a few “professional” bike fits and a few online connections…. I still live in hope 🙏

5 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

“just came back”……. Jinna boeta its still early days.

I’ve been trying to find a comfortable saddle since 1989, a few “professional” bike fits and a few online connections…. I still live in hope 🙏

yes only a decent length ride will reveal the full impact, but from the short ride I did post changes its already felt better.

And it was very visible in the before and after videos.

9 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

yes only a decent length ride will reveal the full impact, but from the short ride I did post changes its already felt better.

And it was very visible in the before and after videos.

Please share what changes the fitter made

16 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Please share what changes the fitter made

Dropped saddle height

changed angle of saddle

move saddle backwards.

makes sense. The only thing to have changed (setup wise) on the bike since my last visit to him was the saddle.

Even though I had spent alot of time trying to get it as close as possible to how the old one was, I did not get it just right.