Flat pedals shoes

Chumi

I’m new to cycling and have been enjoying it massively. Still learning bike handling and adding mileage every week. I got the gravel bike but so far only riding on tar. 

Question. Are there specific shoes for flat pedals? Coming from running background I thought I’d grab any of my many running shoes but I can’t seem to get my feet steady on the pedals. Seeing that I’m new to the sport and still learning I don’t see myself going clipless for another year. Or am I doing something wrong 

Thanks in advance. I love this forum though I never saw myself posting. Not yet anyway. 

Get Stoked have some pretty decent specials on RideConcepts shoes if there's something in your size. Otherwise Ryder have a pretty decent pair available.

Proper flat pedal shoes have stiffer soles, better grip and a reinforced toe box for when you inevitably kick a rock. Well worth the investment (and they are an investment) compared to skate shoes or cross trainers.

Also try Leatt , the 2022 range seems to be on special at most stores. 

Not sure what type riding you do but you mentioned gravel.

The Leatt 1.0 might be up your alley but the 2.0 and 3.0 have a more solid and offer more protection.

Pedal and shoe combination is important to note

I've got a couple pairs up for sale in the classifieds if you have a UK 9.5 sized foot. Specialized 2FO and FiveTen Freerider Pros

Thanks fellas. I am getting an idea of what I need. I’m liking the Leatt range I came across. The style is right up my alley. I’ll get shopping. The five ten I like as well but I have had bad experience buying shoes overseas. But maybe with more prodding I’ll find local seller. 

29 minutes ago, thebob said:

I've got a couple pairs up for sale in the classifieds if you have a UK 9.5 sized foot. Specialized 2FO and FiveTen Freerider Pros

I’m UK10. I’ll look through the ads though. Thanks

FiveTens and decent pedals will change your life!

I've had about 8 pairs (6 different models) over the years. My 2 favourites (the ones I bought doubles of) were Impact VXi's and Red Barons. Sadly neither are still produced, but Impact Pro and Freerider's will be the closest equivalents respectively.

My recommendations would depend on the type of riding you do.

For more gravity orientated riding (downhill or enduro), the Impact Pro's. More rigid sole, better foot protection.

Five Ten Impact Pro Shoe Review

For more general trail riding, the classic Freerider, Freerider Pro (if you want something less "2000's skate shoe" or the Sleuths (what I currently run)

N1-01.jpg

Freerider

Five Ten Freerider Pro - MTB Shoes MTB Flat Pedals | Bike-Discount

Freerider Pro

Five Ten Sleuth DLX Shoe Black/Grey/Gold | Biketart

Sleuth DLX (ideally the suede, not canvas versions)

FiveTens are pricey, but Stealth rubber is magical and they led the way for many of the other flats on the market today.

6 hours ago, patches said:

FiveTens and decent pedals will change your life!

I've had about 8 pairs (6 different models) over the years. My 2 favourites (the ones I bought doubles of) were Impact VXi's and Red Barons. Sadly neither are still produced, but Impact Pro and Freerider's will be the closest equivalents respectively.

My recommendations would depend on the type of riding you do.

For more gravity orientated riding (downhill or enduro), the Impact Pro's. More rigid sole, better foot protection.

Five Ten Impact Pro Shoe Review

For more general trail riding, the classic Freerider, Freerider Pro (if you want something less "2000's skate shoe" or the Sleuths (what I currently run)

N1-01.jpg

Freerider

Five Ten Freerider Pro - MTB Shoes MTB Flat Pedals | Bike-Discount

Freerider Pro

Five Ten Sleuth DLX Shoe Black/Grey/Gold | Biketart

Sleuth DLX (ideally the suede, not canvas versions)

FiveTens are pricey, but Stealth rubber is magical and they led the way for many of the other flats on the market today.

I have a pair of free rider pros but unfortunately they are not easy to get to SA these days. They aren't available here, and even if they were…im sure you’ll only get them im children's sizes like everything else here these days (max 11)

Unicorns i tell you. I got my size 14 ones on a flash 50% off sale at some italian online store and full well knew that import tax will add that 50% back on and then an additional 25% and then some haha. So in the end i paid what you would for them at full retail….but the sale meant i wasn't going to pay double atleast. Hey, and i got some in my size…im looking at you Leatt! (Local my gat!)

I have some bike spicific etnies with a Michelin sole (only because they also make bigger shoes and have local stock), and the 5-tens are almost too grippy. Once you are stood on them its hard to adjust your foot without lifting it. They feel a bit less sticky on some crappy spank pedals on another bike which i actually slightly prefer. I might take some pins out to get some of that ‘float’ back

but yes, i fully agree why people say they are the gold standard. When you get them, put them on straight out of the box and try and drag your foot over a tiled floor. You basically cant😅 

Loads of sage advice in the replies above.

To address a detail from the OP, about clipless and the type of riding you do (road and gravel).

Go clipless ASAP.
Get the learning curve done and dusted as soon as you can.

For road and gravel, to be as energy efficient as possible, clipless is the best way, in my opinion.
Everyone struggles with clipping in and out in the beginning, regardless of how long they've been riding.

Once you are comfortable with it though, it's a game changer as you'll feel way more connected with the bike and you'll be way more confident a rider too.

11 hours ago, MajG said:

Also try Leatt , the 2022 range seems to be on special at most stores. 

Not sure what type riding you do but you mentioned gravel.

The Leatt 1.0 might be up your alley but the 2.0 and 3.0 have a more solid and offer more protection.

Pedal and shoe combination is important to note

Yes, another thumbs up for Leatt from me. Grippy, well priced and good quality.

Which Leatt flat pedal shoes do you guys recommend and how do they fit?

I generally wear a 45EU UK 10,5 in most shoes...but I need to order them online so need to get the sizing right....I have a narrow foot:)

Etnies are great!

They have been around for decades. Making quality skate & BMX shoes and they are now making proper MTB flats. Some of the worlds best are riding for them (Semenuk, etc).

I have the Culverts now and I really like them. My previous 3 pairs were Fiveten so my standards are high.

Go MX has them in stock at really good prices. If you are in CT they have a nice shop worth checking out, otherwise online. 

https://www.go-mx.co.za/collections/mtb-gear/Shoes

Edited by Brawler

1 hour ago, Brawler said:

Etnies are great!

They have been around for decades. Making quality skate & BMX shoes and they are now making proper MTB flats. Some of the worlds best are riding for them (Semenuk, etc).

I have the Culverts now and I really like them. My previous 3 pairs were Fiveten so my standards are high.

Go MX has them in stock at really good prices. If you are in CT they have a nice shop worth checking out, otherwise online. 

https://www.go-mx.co.za/collections/mtb-gear/Shoes

they look good, however when I tried them on they abit narrow and have no real toe protection on the culverts.

Is the Semenuk different?

1 hour ago, guidodg said:

Which Leatt flat pedal shoes do you guys recommend and how do they fit?

I generally wear a 45EU UK 10,5 in most shoes...but I need to order them online so need to get the sizing right....I have a narrow foot:)

I'm the same. Normal shoes 10,5 but my Leatt shoes fits me perfect in size 11,5 (47 EU). I have the 1.0 and 2.0 flats. 1.0 for casual wear and 2.0 for MTB.

Thanks Neill...so you are saying that if I normally wear a 45EU i would need a 47EU in the Leatts?