Silverback lifetime warranty

Dirkie1981

Bought a soft tail silverback mtb from a place in the west rand in 2018. Was told there was a lifetime warranty. In 2019 the frame cracked near the seat post. Took it in. Silverback replaced the frame. A few months ago the frame cracked again but on the back section. Took it back to original place and was told cycle lab are the only ones that deal with silverback brand and I must go there. So took it to CL fourways - 2 weeks later get told that silverback only had lifetime warranties on their hard tails and my bike only had a 3 year warranty on it. So after giving it some thought I asked them what could I do and the guy there said they could get it welded. I asked for a quote so I could decide. Anyway - 1 weeks later in get told the bike is ready and that it’s R2000. No quote was sent. Told the guy it wasn’t on - he then agreed to go 50/50. So one grand. Picked it up today and it wasn’t even repainted. Eish. But the more I think about it the more I feel like I have had a bike post shoved up my rear end with no lube.
1. Does anyone know anything about silverback warranties and  if the above is true. 
2. I don’t know what to think or say about cycle lab to be honest. 

I just feel hard done by….

42 minutes ago, babse said:

@Jbr are you winning with you claim? 

Cyclelab wants to inspect the fork, I only got the bike back from my local mechanic yesterday, so not sure when I'll find the time to go have it checked. I rode the bike today and it felt alright though... Might just monitor that line see if it develops as a crack or not

Had a similar thing happen to me on a TV. Salesman told me 2 year warranty. On month 13, it gave problems. Took it back only to be told it was a 12 month warranty. 

I dug out my documents and sure enough, it was one year. 

The moral of the story, don't always take the salesman's word for it. Read the docs that came with the bike. 

Silverbacks warranty if purchased before 1 January 2023 is 3 years on carbon frames and dual suspension bikes. Alloy hardtail has life time.

Bought after 1 January 2023, carbon frames and alloy dual sus have a 2 year warranty. Alloy hardtail still has life time.

Silverbacks warranty is strictly from date of purchase and does not restart if a frame or part has been replaced.

Edited by Bl4d3

2 hours ago, Bl4d3 said:

Silverbacks warranty if purchased before 1 January 2023 is 3 years on carbon frames and dual suspension bikes. Alloy hardtail has life time.

Bought after 1 January 2023, carbon frames and alloy dual sus have a 2 year warranty. Alloy hardtail still has life time.

Silverbacks warranty is strictly from date of purchase and does not restart if a frame or part has been replaced.

Does this mean that CL were wrong? If so they owe the OP a new frame....

1 hour ago, love2fly said:

Does this mean that CL were wrong? If so they owe the OP a new frame....

Unfortunately not. OP's warranty expired in 2021 with Silverback.

Im not sure what what the legalities are, but I think OP might have a leg to stand on with the store he bought it from as OP was given the impression that it had a life time warranty. That would be a difficult case to prove though as OP would need to give evidence that the store said it came with a lifetime warranty.

Edited by Bl4d3

2 hours ago, Bl4d3 said:

Unfortunately not. OP's warranty expired in 2021 with Silverback.

Im not sure what what the legalities are, but I think OP might have a leg to stand on with the store he bought it from as OP was given the impression that it had a life time warranty. That would be a difficult case to prove though as OP would need to give evidence that the store said it came with a lifetime warranty.

Yip, unless he's got it in writing or on video then no chance