Wear on Wahoo snap2 roller - apparently only cosmetic says Wahoo HQ

Maniax

Hi guys

My roller is 10 months old.  Has about 500km on (only more serious riding the last two months).  

After replacing my older Zaffiro trainer tyre I noticed the wear on the roller as per below.  So I sent a support ticket to the suppliers (who were very helpful). They sent a warranty request to Wahoo HQ.  Wahoo's reply was "The wear on the roller is normal/cosmetic in nature and the roller can continue to be used without issue for a number of years to come."   hmmm.. not so sure.

IMG_20230904_125141.jpg

IMG_20230904_125144.jpg

IMG_20230904_125147.jpg

they must be mad saying thats normal. while i do not think it will impact riding, that is absolutely not normal wear.

i'd throw my toys and let them know you'd taken the matter to public forum.

let the pressure from this thread hopefully make them do the right thing.

I've had the Wahoo Kickr Snap 2 for more than 5 years with thousands of miles on and mine doesn't even look remotely like that!

Do you clean\wipe your tyre of any excessive dirt after an outride? Looking at that "chip" marks something is eating that roller for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

That is definitely not normal wear. Even running a mountain bike tyre shouldn't do that to the roller. I ran a mtb tyre for about 10 months and only saw speckles of rubber on the roller. No chipping of the roller surface. 

I have a dedicated bike and tyre that's permanently on the roller.  No dirt, no bike on and off.

5 minutes ago, Maniax said:

I have a dedicated bike and tyre that's permanently on the roller.  No dirt, no bike on and off.

That roller will make short work of any tyre, dedicated or not. Not ayoba. Be better Wahoo.

Out of interest, how long did it take for that to happen and how did you notice?

I bought the roller in Oct last year.  But have only ran it seriously the last two months.  from strava stats I have 500 and some change, Km's on it.  Noticed when I saw my trainer tyre was perishing on the running surface...  contacted the support in wahoofitness the next day.

Difficult to see here, but this photo of my wheel on trainer, after 6 years’ use, has what I consider normal wear ‘n tear. About 9k indoor Km 

5aa6aad2-6e3e-4240-84a5-81f0e43cf394.jpeg.f2531a76dd00e55bc9a23eda15ad92c2.jpeg

Hi all 

Got feedback from Ikhambi (the Wahoo distributors) - great guys, excellent support.  They, took my feedback (after I got clarity from the Hubbers) back to Wahoo HQ, and got them to authorize a replacement.  Got this response today

(iKhambi Distribution)

13 Sept 2023, 09:31 SAST

Good day Daniel

We will be assisting with a replacement unit for you. 

Please assist me with your complete delivery and collection address

For the replacement please ensure the following: 

- Prepare the Faulty WAH063 WAHOO KICKR SNAP 2 in a Box for collection
- We will send a new working WAH063 WAHOO KICKR SNAP 2 - as this is where the fault is at. 
- You will be notified by email by our courier partner regarding the Date and Time of Collection and Delivery.

Thanks for your patience with us as we assist here.

Kind regards