[Event] Durbie Dash Road

Jacques|DurbieDash

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Start was very disorganised but there was a person on a megaphone calling out the groups so if you tried to skip the line then you deserve the dq. 

I started in C group and there were literally people riding into the start area from the oncoming side. And the marshals/security were just allowing them into the area. Was crazy. 

Not great to hear, wasn’t the case last year. But I guess people also behaved so there wasn’t much chaos, this was in B group if I recall.

13 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Not great to hear, wasn’t the case last year. But I guess people also behaved so there wasn’t much chaos, this was in B group if I recall.

Worth mentioning ... just the start shute that could have done with some more order ...

The event, the ride, the vibe between riders ... LEKKER DAY !!

14 hours ago, ChrisF said:

The event, the ride, the vibe between riders ... LEKKER DAY !!

And the chill on the fields at the finish with a chocolate milk. 👌

15 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

And the chill on the fields at the finish with a chocolate milk. 👌

Yeah that was awesome, that is definitely something that makes the end of a horrible day on the bike more pleasant ! the war stories afterwards ;)

Just now, bleedToWin said:

You should have skipped MTB and joined us on the road in the crosswinds. We had lots of fun! 😉

Funny I told everyone the day before to watch for the crosswinds, everyone was like "meh, on the forecast there's like 10kph".... 

Last year was also not supposed to be windy and meanwhile it got completely crazy with gutters very quickly ! Yeah, looks like I missed out on a nice hard race, but needed to learn a bit about MTB before W2W, I'm so wrecked now I don't even want to do it anymore 🤣

15 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Funny I told everyone the day before to watch for the crosswinds, everyone was like "meh, on the forecast there's like 10kph".... 

Last year was also not supposed to be windy and meanwhile it got completely crazy with gutters very quickly ! Yeah, looks like I missed out on a nice hard race, but needed to learn a bit about MTB before W2W, I'm so wrecked now I don't even want to do it anymore 🤣

A bit of wind and everyone all of a sudden poep scared. I got pushed in because someone refused to pass a rider who was clearly suffering ahead of him. Guy just refused to go on the right for 5 seconds in the wind. I ended up getting boxed in, went over a cat eye and next thing wheel is flat and basically ended my race.

When I got back on, had to solo for 60km and actually got to witness all the social guys suffering in the wind. Man I felt so sorry for them.

I thoroughly enjoyed the ride, sure beats a day in the office, even with the wind 😊

I recently got roped into Land Rovers DC team and they decided to do the event as training for the DC. In true Offroad fashion, they insist on doing the DC on Mtbs every year so we did the road event on mtbs as well. Took it lekka rustig and had plenty okes to share pulls on the front in the wind.

We even got to meet the lovely Liezel vd W out on the road on her gorgeous Colnago C60 🤩 and share a few cold ones at the finish. Awesome day out, wrapped up with a good braai and great rugby 🤙

LR1a.JPG

LR2a.JPG

LR3a.JPG

LR4a.JPG

LR5a.JPG

2 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

A bit of wind and everyone all of a sudden poep scared. I got pushed in because someone refused to pass a rider who was clearly suffering ahead of him. Guy just refused to go on the right for 5 seconds in the wind. I ended up getting boxed in, went over a cat eye and next thing wheel is flat and basically ended my race.

When I got back on, had to solo for 60km and actually got to witness all the social guys suffering in the wind. Man I felt so sorry for them.

I lost a tyre a few weeks back due to a sidewall cut from a cat-eye .... 46km from home ... plugged it and managed to complete my ride.  Now super careful of cat-eyes ...

About 2km before R44, on the long downhill, the D-batch came past me ... couple of riders at a time.  Last riders just caught up as we got to the start of the long climb to the R44.  The peleton immediately slowed down to a crawl .... thankfully I could move over to the right, and get on with my ride.

Along Aderley many of the 46km riders seemed to be suffering ....

We went back down Adderley tot the Philadelphia T-junction after finishing some snacks and milk drinks on the rugby field. Some tired looking faces out there for sure!

Very happy to see them DQ riders who were trying to jump up a group or two! I've often called out riders who shouldn't be in the group that I'm in, only to get an "It's fine, don't call the Marshal please" response.  Spoiler - the Marshal was indeed called. 

Where can one find some photographs of the event?  The durbiedash website only has a handful of pictures.

I mean, why else where people speeding through Durbanville like maniacs at the start if not to pose for the camera men?

12 hours ago, Denis Dell said:

Where can one find some photographs of the event?  The durbiedash website only has a handful of pictures.

I mean, why else where people speeding through Durbanville like maniacs at the start if not to pose for the camera men?

And this is exactly the reason why I suffered so much up Adderley, well not only that, mainly because I'm unfit, but I don't like to talk about that, nevertheless, would like to see that 'action' shot.

15 hours ago, Denis Dell said:

I was litterally ringing my bicycle bell for the cameraman at the turn after Windmeul .... he was staring into the distance and could not be bothered to take a pic of the two us ....

Few other spots I saw the tog in time to pull in my stomach .... :P