[Event] Attakwas Extreme

Dryland Events

Event Name: Attakwas Extreme
When: 20/01/2024
Where: Chandelier Game Lodge, Oudtshoorn, Western Cape
Category: Mountain Bike

Every rider who has attempted the Momentum Medical Scheme Attakwas Extreme, presented by Biogen, knows exactly how tough it is. It manages to roll all of cycling’s cliches into one. “It never gets easier, you just get faster” rings momentarily true, except nobody gets much faster. “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them,” certainly captures the essence of racing through the Attakwaskloof, while many have discovered that “crashing is part of cycling as crying is part of love.”

The Attakwas Extreme is South Africa's toughest extreme one-day mountain bike race.

This is the race to do if you want to test mind, body and machine!

Go to Event Page.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any discussion about this? So far, it's just the quiet before the storm...

T - 10 days to go

image.png.3a031f77ff92965030317815876505e8.png

Some images to stoke the 🔥

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Going to be my first one. I must admit I'm quite nervous. Fitness being slightly undercooked doesnt help either.

Still can't wait to see what everyone is talking about!

going back for number 2, although I've been told I have not done a real attakwas, as I did the covid version in August 2021

36 minutes ago, JacquesJ said:

Going to be my first one. I must admit I'm quite nervous. Fitness being slightly undercooked doesnt help either.

Still can't wait to see what everyone is talking about!

Good luck. Take the first 70km easy, you'll thank me later 🙃

Brutal yet beautiful race. 

52 minutes ago, fanievb said:

going back for number 2, although I've been told I have not done a real attakwas, as I did the covid version in August 2021

that 0 degree celsius roll off the start line was definelty something different... hahaha

14 minutes ago, babse said:

Good luck. Take the first 70km easy, you'll thank me later 🙃

Brutal yet beautiful race. 

I think unfortunately for everyone you have to make that mistake first before you could appreciate the advice....

I have heard that this event is hard on the bike as well.

Would it be better to do on a not so valuable but reliable HT, or rather take the chance with the DS and save the body a little bit more ?

43 minutes ago, Koos Likkewaan 2 said:

Would it be better to do on a not so valuable but reliable HT, or rather take the chance with the DS and save the body a little bit more ?

You can do the Atta on a HT but... what would be the point of owning a DS then?

I am in for a long day. December training did not really go according to plan.

I will be taking it easy because I have learned to listen to advice ...

1 hour ago, Koos Likkewaan 2 said:

My view is bring your best equipment for the job... ie your dual sus with better components. 

Only way you are destroying your equipment is if the weather takes a turn for the worst (I would rather bail if its that bad).

2020 had "some rain" and my rear shock failed with about 20kms to go. Still wouldnt choose to do it on a HT.

atta20.jpg

5 hours ago, fanievb said:

That was, hands down, the best Atta yet. The veld was amazing! Hardly saw anyone. Weather was great, -2C going out of town, but warmed up lekker.

Please move the event to August!!

How does the seeding work? I've been moved down to B and see many "slower riders" in A. Looks like "Ratel 10+" automatically gave you an A seeding regardless of their time on previous events.

2 hours ago, babse said:

My view is bring your best equipment for the job... ie your dual sus with better components. 

Only way you are destroying your equipment is if the weather takes a turn for the worst (I would rather bail if its that bad).

2020 had "some rain" and my rear shock failed with about 20kms to go. Still wouldnt choose to do it on a HT.

atta20.jpg

I have a knack for picking the Attas with the worst weather and skipping the good weather years.

Did the monsoon in 2020, the extreme heat wave in 2022 and will be back this year, so prepare for the worst...

1 minute ago, Skubarra said:

I have a knack for picking the Attas with the worst weather and skipping the good weather years.

Did the monsoon in 2020, the extreme heat wave in 2022 and will be back this year, so prepare for the worst...

<insert comic sans> please stay home <end>