Replacing an old shock with a cheap custom one ?

Dean111

The other problem you will have forgot about the dimensions of that shock,stroke,lengh and mounting points any suspension you will get new or second hand will have moving parts which would still require services and will most likely cost you the same as your current one to service.Also riding suspension on lockout all the time is also not good for the suspension as it still has slight movement and can wear out parts pre maturely.Suspensions is expensive to maintain if you stick to intervals like most rock shox needs 50hour services and the major service every 200hours or annually which ever comes first.Just be careful not spending twice as every suspension has recommended servicing hours

3 hours ago, Dean111 said:

A 2004 manitou swinger will fit !

Please.if anyone has one.please let me.know !

Manitou Swinger (like "Fox Float") is just the general range of rear shocks, which included everything from a air shock with a piggy-back to a coil.

image.png.b9745a170771a430618bb7fe863d227d.png

It will have to be the Swinger model specifically made for the Jekyll 800, likely an OEM shock used on different model variants of the Jekyll 800. They probably used the Fox on the upper models and the Manitou on the more budget friendly ones.

Here's a link to the literature on the Swinger specifically used on the Jekyll 800

https://www.cannondale.com/-/media/files/manual-uploads/manuals/2004_jekyll_manitou_rear_shock_set_up_owners_manual_supplement_en.pdf

17 hours ago, Dean111 said:

A 2004 manitou swinger will fit !

Please.if anyone has one.please let me.know !

So now, instead of fixing what you have, you'd rather dig some old vrot unserviceable thing out of the archives of history, spend money on it, find out you can't get service kits for it, and end up back where you started but slightly poorer.

Every machine in the world needs servicing at some point.

Service the thing you've got and be done. Life is already hard, don't make it harder than it needs to be.

1 hour ago, droo said:

Every machine in the world needs servicing at some point.

Service the thing you've got and be done. Life is already hard, don't make it harder than it needs to be.

I'm going to print this and hang it on the wall next to my limited-edition Kama Sutra mural.

6 minutes ago, LazyTrailRider said:

I'm going to print this and hang it on the wall next to my limited-edition Kama Sutra mural.

It's relevant to the Kama Sutra mural as well...

Edited by droo
Spelling

Your advice sounds good thank you sir

Does one require added skill to do the damper ? They ask me 500 rand extra to change the damper.

I'm thinking about trying to service it myself just not sure if there are hidden traps/difficulties servicing this specific shock ?

As to the mount. The Jekyll has a threaded trunnion style mount. The body of the shock is threaded, and therefore, fitment challenged.

One company i know of in the U.S custom make shocks with this fitment, not sure if we have someone in SA that could/would do this.

Edited by Dean111
Spell

50 minutes ago, Dean111 said:

Your advice sounds good thank you sir

Does one require added skill to do the damper ? They ask me 500 rand extra to change the damper.

I'm thinking about trying to service it myself just not sure if there are hidden traps/difficulties servicing this specific shock ?

As to the mount. The Jekyll has a threaded trunnion style mount. The body of the shock is threaded, and therefore, fitment challenged.

One company i know of in the U.S custom make shocks with this fitment, not sure if we have someone in SA that could/would do this.

If you have to ask, take it to a pro. Not the skill (although there's that too) so much as the special tools you'll need. Taking shortcuts will land that shock in the bin pretty quick.

As for custom stuff - many people that can do it for you, but it'll cost you more than the whole bike is worth.

Edited by droo

I'm an amateur fork serviceman myself. I don't profess to be a professional and only do it for friends.

I've done 100's and have never buggered one up. I've also done air can service on RockShox Monarch Only Twice. 

I feel that the bicycle industry tends to Over Service Forks Specially The Seals that get replaced every few months can actually last for Years (as long as they are not worn). o rings can last much longer than specified by manufacturers. The secret to making a fork last long is good cleaning and lubrication.

Crush washers can last for years as long as you don't over tighten.

I have watched a bike mechanic meticulously replace all the parts as per the manual but without paying much attention to cleaning and lubrication.