[Event] 2024 Imbuko Big 5 MTB Challenge

Gravel Travel Events

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

Its a carbon HT. Probably around 10kg. 100mm Travel in front with 2.35” tyres front and rear.

Think I’m gonna skip it though. Just rewatched some course preview vides they did earlier in the year and yeah there’s one section through the trees and rocks where it looks pretty sketchy. Not sure I have the skill set for it and on a hardtail will be even more tougher. 

Think it comes down to what you are used to.  My son has only ever owned and raced hard tail bikes.  Recently he was without a bike for a few weeks and using a courtesy dual sus, which he was extremely grateful for.  However, he maintain he still prefer what he was used to, and was happy to get back on his hardtail a couple of days ago.  

I know how much I suffer with a dual on that event, as the body does take a fair beating on some of the dry and very long singletrack-sections......so can only imagine on a hardtail it is much worse (unless you are used to it as said).  My son has raced the Eselsfontein stage race twice on his hardtail, and Esels is def a lot tougher on bike and body as IB5.  So in closing, if you are used to your hardtail, you should be more than okay come Feb. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

Its a carbon HT. Probably around 10kg. 100mm Travel in front with 2.35” tyres front and rear.

Think I’m gonna skip it though. Just rewatched some course preview vides they did earlier in the year and yeah there’s one section through the trees and rocks where it looks pretty sketchy. Not sure I have the skill set for it and on a hardtail will be even more tougher. 

It always looks worse than what it really is. I have done it with a very similar spec HT to yours. I was slower on the downhill sections but it was perfect for all the climbing this race has. 

But like @milky4130 said, everyone hurts no matter what you use. If you used to ridding it then it will be fine.

Will I choose my HT above my dual? Probably not, but that's just because I am a ballie 🤣

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

So it’s called Big 5. I’m pretty sure I see 7 peaks on that image 😱. Or at least 6.5 haha!

image.jpeg.8bdfc76798c7502c024d9ecc54cadd33.jpeg

.....because after the first 5, you climb with your eyes either full of blood, or shut......and keep on telling yourself it is flat roads to the end 

I’m considering this event for the first time, the dates have just never worked out in the past. My current gearing on my dual sus is 36 x 10/51. I’ll keep on training on it as i’m used to it in the area i ride/train. Will probably not be a bad idea to go for a 34 chainring for the amount of climbing at this event?

7 minutes ago, etienne_jordaan said:

I’m considering this event for the first time, the dates have just never worked out in the past. My current gearing on my dual sus is 36 x 10/51. I’ll keep on training on it as i’m used to it in the area i ride/train. Will probably not be a bad idea to go for a 34 chainring for the amount of climbing at this event?

Without a doubt yes. I've now got a 34 x 10/51, and I'm even considering downsizing to the 32t chainring that came with my bike. You will curse the 36t if you keep that on..

11 minutes ago, Hilton. said:

Without a doubt yes. I've now got a 34 x 10/51, and I'm even considering downsizing to the 32t chainring that came with my bike. You will curse the 36t if you keep that on..

think it was three years ago when I did the event on a new bike I got a day or two before the event, with a new saddle (brand) never ridden / tested before, and a 34 T......not sure which decision I regretted most at the end !!

If you have a 32T lying around, fit it, take my word for it, you are not running out of gears on the flats.....(as there ain't any !!) - but every little bit of help you can get for the climbing should be taken. Hence I'll be asking around locally for a 32T just before the event once more 🙂 

43 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

My lightest gearing would be a 32 chainring with 42 cog at the back. Should I put a bigger cassette on?

Knee ops are quite expensive these days.....so avoiding Dr Spike Erasmus should be a priority 

13 hours ago, Morne Veer said:

Knee ops are quite expensive these days.....so avoiding Dr Spike Erasmus should be a priority 

Copy 🤣

I got more confirmation this past weekend from a lady rider that couldn't before ride the steep switch back descent all the way down but after a little spade work from the trails builders she can now do it closed eyes, if anyone was concerned about it.

10 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

I got more confirmation this past weekend from a lady rider that couldn't before ride the steep switch back descent all the way down but after a little spade work from the trails builders she can now do it closed eyes, if anyone was concerned about it.

So the dropper seat post I bought specifically for that section is useless now.

19 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

Is the cliffhanger open to use year round? I thought it was just open for this event?

1 hour ago, milky4130 said:

With all due respect ........................ there are lady riders and then there are LADY riders 😵

Have you watched the most recent Women UCI downhills ?

Mad cow disease is for real man 💀

1 hour ago, milky4130 said:

To be fair I also just closed my eyes last time and let it rip...