Apple Watch Ultra 2 vs Garmin  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Which watch?

• Apple Watch Ultra 2
    • Garmin Fenix 7x
    • Garmin Epix Gen 2
    • Other

12 hours ago, Stretched@Birth said:

Just be careful of the imitations.  A while ago I was looking for an Ultra for our MD, but there was no stock available anywhere in SA except on takealot.com.  Ordered the watch (at full retail price) with an aftermarket strap and a few days later the order arrived.  MD wasn't at work that day so he asked me to send it home with the driver.  Next morning he brings it to me to set up as he can't get it to link to his phone (apparently an easy task, open the Watch app on the phone and take a pic of the watch). I try, also, no luck.  Go into settings on the phone which is where things start looking suspicious.  The menu items and fonts are not of the normal Apple standard.  Google "fake Apple Watch Ultra" and find that what takealot had supplied was a fake.

Returned it to takealot, explaining the issue, they sent it back to me saying they could not accept the return unless I remove it from the Apple ID.  They could not understand that it was not linked to the Apple ID as I could not pair it as it was not an Apple product.

Escalated the issue at takealot and after much fighting, referring them to their policy about counterfeits and alerting Core (the SA agent), they eventually took it back and processed a refund.

That's crazy! I would never have thought there were fakes of Apple Watches, Garmins etc. Accessories yes, but the watches themselves... seems like too much effort. Although I guess the counterfeiter never intends to have it function like the OG (as evident in the case you mention).

Crazier still that a retailer that most consider reputable is selling said fakes, granted this is likely unknown to them and they may just be facilitating sales for a 3rd party.

On the topic of fakes... here's another one of the cheap aftermarket alpine loops. Paying R2200 for the original just seems insane!

As they say..."how do you milk sheep? ...with Apple accessories" 😅

image.png.1ab807b423600a9c36b0f2d0b0e12f82.png

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Stretched@Birth said:

Just be careful of the imitations.  A while ago I was looking for an Ultra for our MD, but there was no stock available anywhere in SA except on takealot.com.  Ordered the watch (at full retail price) with an aftermarket strap and a few days later the order arrived.  MD wasn't at work that day so he asked me to send it home with the driver.  Next morning he brings it to me to set up as he can't get it to link to his phone (apparently an easy task, open the Watch app on the phone and take a pic of the watch). I try, also, no luck.  Go into settings on the phone which is where things start looking suspicious.  The menu items and fonts are not of the normal Apple standard.  Google "fake Apple Watch Ultra" and find that what takealot had supplied was a fake.

Returned it to takealot, explaining the issue, they sent it back to me saying they could not accept the return unless I remove it from the Apple ID.  They could not understand that it was not linked to the Apple ID as I could not pair it as it was not an Apple product.

Escalated the issue at takealot and after much fighting, referring them to their policy about counterfeits and alerting Core (the SA agent), they eventually took it back and processed a refund.

Experienced a similar thing with a counterfeit Aeropress from Takealot. Thankfully someone managed to identify the minor differences, allowing us to return these to Takealot for a full refund.

16 hours ago, patches said:

That's crazy! I would never have thought there were fakes of Apple Watches, Garmins etc. Accessories yes, but the watches themselves... seems like too much effort. Although I guess the counterfeiter never intends to have it function like the OG (as evident in the case you mention).

Crazier still that a retailer that most consider reputable is selling said fakes, granted this is likely unknown to them and they may just be facilitating sales for a 3rd party.

On the topic of fakes... here's another one of the cheap aftermarket alpine loops. Paying R2200 for the original just seems insane!

As they say..."how do you milk sheep? ...with Apple accessories" 😅

image.png.1ab807b423600a9c36b0f2d0b0e12f82.png

Took the retailer a while to acknowledge that it was a fake, as you say though, they are merely facilitating transactions on behalf of 3rd parties.  Their trading policy is very clear when it comes to counterfeit's, fakes, etc.  

Below pics are off Reddit, but the one we received was the same.  See the settings menu... Apple_Ultra_Fake3.webp.96d8565cec3757208d1a54a78232e2c9.webpApple_Ultra_Fake2.webp.2904117b2bb58e0d7387b88bd8a0013f.webpApple_Ultra_Fake1.webp.febbf9d0446f668832db80af1cb0ba21.webp

21 hours ago, Frosty said:

Experienced a similar thing with a counterfeit Aeropress from Takealot. Thankfully someone managed to identify the minor differences, allowing us to return these to Takealot for a full refund.

Like the lil coffee maker that costs a few hundred ?