baselayers (field tested feedback needed)

RossTopher

i know there have been previous posts with some info on baselayers but most is fairly old.

I am looking at no more than R400 for a couple sleeveless summer baselayers. I run hot, so don't need insulation or anything for winter.

Currently the following options are available:

Specialized - R400 - SL Sleeveless Base Layer

Ciovita - R675 - Strato Undervest (2 pack)

Decathlon - R359 - Van Rysel summer training cycling base layer

Enjoy - R675 - Emotif Regulator bundle (2 pack)

would appreciate info on which you have/like/tried etc and if there is anything i am missing or some cheaper options.
i would like to go for the Monton layer, as i know the quality is good, but its a stretch to R550.

thanks

Edited by RossTopher

4 minutes ago, RossTopher said:

thank you. i went on their site but didnt see the baselayers.
size wise, is the fit the same as your jersey?

strangely enough, I am up size on my Base layer from my jersery.

1 hour ago, guidodg said:

the Decathlon Van Rysel one is really good, probably better than some of the much more expensive ones I have tried

hmmm, add in the 10% off on the app, and the free shipping code and i may have to order a few.
sizing? i typically have to go 1 to 2 sizes up with Decathlon.

4 hours ago, RossTopher said:

i know there have been previous posts with some info on baselayers but most is fairly old.

I am looking at no more than R400 for a couple sleeveless summer baselayers. I run hot, so don't need insulation or anything for winter.

Currently the following options are available:

Specialized - R400 - SL Sleeveless Base Layer

Ciovita - R675 - Strato Undervest (2 pack)

Decathlon - R359 - Van Rysel summer training cycling base layer

Enjoy - R675 - Emotif Regulator bundle (2 pack)

would appreciate info on which you have/like/tried etc and if there is anything i am missing or some cheaper options.
i would like to go for the Monton layer, as i know the quality is good, but its a stretch to R550.

thanks

You mention you run hot...what is your reason for wanting a base layer in summer 

47 minutes ago, Madone69 said:

You mention you run hot...what is your reason for wanting a base layer in summer 

Make the assumption by running hot, he means sweats a lot. Fair few ppl say that moisture wicking baselayer helps keeps cool. 

49 minutes ago, Madone69 said:

That comment was mainly to avoid responses recommending winter/fleecy layers. 

While counter intuitive, the additional layer actually helps keep me cool, and the moisture wicking is important. I've got a coupe from decathlon, but with sleeves, so wanted to see what the other options were like. 

I have the Decathlon Van Rysel one. It’s very lightweight and works well in hot environments (tested mine in Thailand and Singapore). Better than the DHB ones I bought a couple of years ago. The DHB aeron ultra jerseys are also amazing in very hot weather. The material is cool to the touch.

I have the Ciovita Strato undervests...Its ok in summer, but I actually prefer to wear it in winter, to wick sweat away when I'm wearing multiple layers (incl a riding jacket). In summer, I have fallen back to long sleeves, in particular my Puma compression base layers. I feel like it keeps me cooler, plus long sleeves are better sun protection. 

image.png.162a6c628dc3420e551621b353d5727b.png

thanks all for the comments and insight. looks like the Decathlon ones are a win
@Eddy Gordo thanks for the tip on the MrP ones. good price.

@Thomo i completely forgot anatomic was still going. i've had a couple jerseys before, quality was always good, so will take a look when i am next up north

@Vaultboy appreciate the info on the Ciovita ones, i'll swerve for now

Big guy here. Heavy sweater aswell. The ciovita DriRelease is my go to. It has a solid strand of yarn running the full lenth of the garmet so it spreads the sweat evenly for evaporation. I can confirm that NO it is not hotter with a base layer and YES the spreading of moisture for evaporation does help cool you down.

Even in 40 degree summer days i dont leave home without it.