Beginner Mountain Bike budget recommendation? Can be 2nd hand

Jadax

I just recently got into cycling and was wondering what is the best budget recommendations. Since it's my first bike I'm not fussed if it's a well looked after 2nd hand bike. Currently just do beginner trails at cycle parks, but will eventually take it out on the road/trail with friends for longer rides when I'm comfortable (all around Gauteng e.g., Cradle). 

Budget - definitely looking for <10k deal as my first bike. Medium size.

Edited by Jadax

Thank you @ChrisF, my opinion, please note that you'll have a cazillion opinions, this is mine and by no means the be all and end all

There's quite a simple "unwritten rule" I first consider when looking at a bike for the first time: 

What value did the seller add to the bike during the time that he or she owned it, a gel seat cover and other pedals does not qualify. 

An upgraded 2nd hand bike with scratches on the frame is way better than a stock standard unblemished 2nd hand one. You want something that will allow further improvements rather than something which will impede that. 

This is quite a good example: https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/691791/silverback-full-carbon-m

21 hours ago, Jadax said:

I just recently got into cycling and was wondering what is the best budget recommendations. Since it's my first bike I'm not fussed if it's a well looked after 2nd hand bike. Currently just do beginner trails at cycle parks, but will eventually take it out on the road/trail with friends for longer rides when I'm comfortable (all around Gauteng e.g., Cradle). 

Budget - definitely looking for <10k deal as my first bike. Medium size.

I bought a new GT Avalanche from Cyclelab for R8k and I love it. The frame is modern so of you want to upgrade it later with better parts it will be worth it 

I would definitely do second hand and not new, you pay way too much for new and will land up with crap that you will outgrow quickly.

i would suggest looking for a second had one with great components rather than frame, rather have a bike that will do it all than one that looks good. Obviously don’t get a cracked or scratched to death thing but a decent frame ( aluminium will be just fine ) and something from 10 speed and up

Leave wiggle room in your budget for the following;

* Helmet (don't skimp - all helmets are not equal - you only have one head)

* Shoes / pedals

* Bib / Shorts with a chamois insert (your ass will thank you later)

* Gloves (for when you come off)

* A multitool (and learn what it's for and how to use it)

* Spare tube (and how to insert it into a flat tyre)

This should tie you over until the bug bite has infected you to the point of addiction by which time no one will take responsibility for the ensuing huge hole in your budget.

Go forth and enjoy!

My view is different. 

As a first bike, I would rather buy new from a credible bike shop. 

At least you know it will be the right size, it will be set up properly for you and you will have the peace of mind of a warranty. 

Also, you will build a relationship with the bike shop and you will be more likely to get tips and advice etc. 

For your budget, you will get a pretty capable bike which can be upgraded as you go along. 

59 minutes ago, Eugene said:

....  As a first bike, I would rather buy new from a credible bike shop. 

At least you know it will be the right size, it will be set up properly for you .....

.... Uhmmmmmm ....

I USED to think so as well .....

The owner of Cycle4Life in Paarl is most happy to sell you a bike that is way too small !!!   (thee most expensive school fees I paid along this journey)

Absolutely ZERO setup was done.

The Hub has many such horror stories, where the "shop" just moved the stock they had .... rather than providing quality service.

Moral of the story:

- ASK what size fits YOU ... if the salesperson cant answer properly .... RUN !!!

- ASK if they will assist with a bike setup.  

There seem t be a few well priced HT 29ers out there. R10k isn't going to buy you much of a new bike and as others have said, you'll get a better bike buying second hand, even if you have to fix a few things. 

My view as someone who buys both new and second hand is: 

I like second hand good quality parts because they don’t need tweaking. I don’t like needing to tweak every second or third ride. 

There is a massive, massive difference between “cheap or mid-range new” and “good condition mid to upper tier second hand”. Massive. They are scarily the same price. 

A well-maintained RockShox SiD WC that is 5-10 years old is more plush and fun than a brand new Rockshox Judy SL. 

An “old” SRAM GX 1x11 outperforms a new Microshift Advent or LTwoo 1x10 any day of the week and twice on Sundays. 

All hydraulic brakes are not created equal even at the same price point. 

“Shimano” means nothing - the model numbers matter and how it makes you feel matters most. 

All in all it’s a good quality second hand bike for me in the 10-20k price range.

I have sat on a few 40-60k new bikes belonging to mates and I keep coming back to my “old” Giant XTC from @RobertWhitehead - it’s the perfect bike for me and he read my need so well when I reached out to him a year ago. He has built bikes for family and friends as well and they all LOVE their bikes too. This is not a plug for Robert exclusively but there are very good bikes to be had for 10k if you are not seeking “new”. 

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

The Hub has many such horror stories, where the "shop" just moved the stock they had .... rather than providing quality service.

Oh boy can I tell you a story having just splashed the cash, but I won't be bad mouthing anyone on here, so I will just say nowhere is safe anymore.

7 hours ago, ChrisF said:

.... Uhmmmmmm ....

I USED to think so as well .....

The owner of Cycle4Life in Paarl is most happy to sell you a bike that is way too small !!!   (thee most expensive school fees I paid along this journey)

Absolutely ZERO setup was done.

Moral of the story:

- ASK what size fits YOU ... if the salesperson cant answer properly .... RUN !!!

- ASK if they will assist with a bike setup.  

I realise that this is a problem, which is why I said "credible". 

The next problem is identifying what bikes shops are credible. 

Having said that, you still have recourse against a bike shop, but nothing against a used bike sold "as is". 

5 hours ago, RobynE said:

An “old” SRAM GX 1x11 outperforms a new Microshift Advent or LTwoo 1x10 any day of the week and twice on Sundays. 

I built my bike with LTwoo 1 x 10. I press the button and it shifts instantly and as smooth as any Shimano or Sram product that I have used. There is no chain slap (despite the lack of a clutch). 

It does what it is supposed to do and therefore has all the performance I (and 90% of the rest of us) needs. 

After experiencing LTwoo, I doubt I will go back to the over priced Shimano and Sram. 

LTwoo is doing what Chery and Haval have done to the car market. 

10 hours ago, Eugene said:

I built my bike with LTwoo 1 x 10. I press the button and it shifts instantly and as smooth as any Shimano or Sram product that I have used. There is no chain slap (despite the lack of a clutch). 

It does what it is supposed to do and therefore has all the performance I (and 90% of the rest of us) needs. 

After experiencing LTwoo, I doubt I will go back to the over priced Shimano and Sram. 

LTwoo is doing what Chery and Haval have done to the car market. 

Watched a hambini video recently where he has made a prediction that in 2024 the big bike brands might start using  proven eastern brands like Ltwoo, winspace etc on oem builds. Their marketshare has grown enough to validate.