Local flights with a bike

Jbr

Hi everyone, I'm contemplating flying to joburg for a couple of races this season (1st one being road nationals in feb, then probably gravel nationals later in the year).

I checked through google flights, ended up on two different companies website, the one doesn't show options to add sports equipement to the reservation (I think it was airlink), and the other (FlySafair) only shows 3 options (pretty much the normal, premium and first class or something similar), and only the most expensive one has sports equipement included (as well as a few more options I don't care about). Doesn't seem like you can book with the normal package and then add on top your bike equipement as extra. So right now I'm looking 5k just for the flights for one race. Is there other options that I don't know about ?

Should I postnet to postnet my bike and collect it my self there when I arrive ? 🤣

Cheers

Edited by Jbr

I took my bike on Flysafair in November last year (JHB to CPT and back). On the Lite or Standard packages you first have to select the flight, then on a subsequent screen you will be able to add additional luggage and sports equipment. Think my bike box cost R 285 one way. Hope this help.

If you book with Flysafair , it is an extra R285 per flight to take your bike . It is then on the flight with you .

I can also confirm the R285 fee on Flysafair, I used it in November as well. Just make sure you use a generous amount of bubble wrap and padding if you are using a cardboard box. Airlines are not renowned for handling luggage with care. 

Edited by Ncayi

You dont need to book your bike before hand on flysafair. Just arrive at the airport and go to the ticket sales counter with your bike, they'll invoice you the R285 then go check in with it. 

The ticket counter is behind the corner below the kfc. The oversize bag drop off is downstairs by the international arrivals.

Make 20min extra time at the airport for this. 

On arrival in jhb its a lucky gamble where your bike will pop out in the baggage area. At Lanseria its a ton easier to check it in and out 

I travel with mine a fair amount, both local and international, and if you dont have a really good bike bag, rather use a bike cardboard box. This way you get to add a lot of kit (shoes, helmets, clothing, bottles, tools, pump etc) into the box without the weight penalty. You're allowed 23kg for the bag/box so its easy to do the maths once you know what the weight of your bag/box is. A bag will naturally take less kit due to the weight limitation 

You can fly locally with CO2 bombs in the bike bag if needed

Happy travels

Thanks everyone, I'll look again on their website or just rock up with my bike as advised, it's a much better deal than the business class thing !

I usually go to my LBS and beg for a box when I need to fly, last time was when I brought my road bike to france and left it there, so I'll have to do that again now ;)

Cheers!

Edited by Jbr

4 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Thanks everyone, I'll look again on their website or just rock up with my bike as advised, it's a much better deal than the business class thing !

I usually go to my LBS and beg for a box when I need to fly, last time was when I brought my road bike to france and left it there, so I'll have to do that again now ;)

Cheers!

at least you in for a bit less than expected... now you can afford to pay for your mates ticket as well

🤪

3 hours ago, babse said:

at least you in for a bit less than expected... now you can afford to pay for your mates ticket as well

🤪

Except uberXL is 300 bucks from home to CPT, but R2000 from OR Tambo to Meyerton... so more expensive than the flight.. no thanks

12 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Except uberXL is 300 bucks from home to CPT, but R2000 from OR Tambo to Meyerton... so more expensive than the flight.. no thanks

Depending on the timelines of your trip also consider boxing and shipping if Uber will potentially set you back R2000. You could box and ship via Cycle Lab for R750 to their Boksburg branch. I think they normally take 3 days to move a bike between JHB and Cape Town. 

Another option could be boxing and flying with it, then unbox it it as soon as you land. That way it can fit in the boot of a normal sized Uber.

Heck I could even offer to pick you up from the Airport and only expect you to cover fuel at a fraction of that 2k cost for Uber.

6 minutes ago, Ncayi said:

Depending on the timelines of your trip also consider boxing and shipping if Uber will potentially set you back R2000. You could box and ship via Cycle Lab for R750 to their Boksburg branch. I think they normally take 3 days to move a bike between JHB and Cape Town. 

Another option could be boxing and flying with it, then unbox it it as soon as you land. That way it can fit in the boot of a normal sized Uber.

Heck I could even offer to pick you up from the Airport and only expect you to cover fuel at a fraction of that 2k cost for Uber.

Thanks for the offer ;)

I can't leave the box at the airport as I'd need it to fly back.

I'll contact Cyclelab that could be a great option having it shipped from my local branch to that Boksburg branch both ways. You think it's doable to ride from their store to Meyerton ? I might not feel like doing the ride after 140km though, but then like you say I could still uber with the bike at the back, drop it off at cyclelab..

Edited by Jbr

2 minutes ago, Jbr said:

You think it's doable to ride from their store to Meyerton ? I might not feel like doing the ride after 140km though, but then like you say I could still uber with the bike at the back, drop it off at cyclelab..

It's like +- 60km from Mayerton and I know damn well I wouldn't want to do that ride after 140km of racing. All the best man👍.

I was about to suggest boxing and shipping.

I have made use of Triptych in the past, and have been very happy. You just need to box it yourself, they move it door to door. To give you an indication, last year in July I used them to ship my bike from Lynnwood Cyclery in Pretoria to their premises in Montagu Gardens, and they charged me R 610 one way. We were 2 people who sent our bikes together, so this may have been a better rate.

image.png.3c063dcdd9c4229cf1e3348a83a4fe9f.png

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Triptych, I'm just a happy customer who will recommend them any time.

To me Gauteng is the wild west, how safe is this route ?

Capture d'écran 2024-01-09 145129.png

3 minutes ago, Jbr said:

To me Gauteng is the wild west, how safe is this route ?

Capture d'écran 2024-01-09 145129.png

I'm only familiar with that route from Alberton. I believe that the M61 or Vereeniging Road.

I've ridden there alone numerous times with no issues. But perhaps some guys from the East Rand would be more reliable with how you safely get out of Boksburg.

If you get a bikebox from the bikebox company, the box folds up to a manageable size. Then rent a car with a bike rack. You can unpack in airport parking lot(I have done this before) box goes on back seat, bike on rack and you sorted. Then you also have an easy way to get to start line etc. R2000 will nearly get you 3 days of a basic car and rack and add R600 odd for the bike to fly with you. Vs R1500 to ship it to a branch and then you kind of stuck with a tough to move object that is not where you are arriving and you are hamstrung reliant on others leading up to the event if you need last minute stuff.

My 2c as well from flying to multiple events with bikes locally and internationally. Get you and the bike there at least 3-5 days before, just in case your bike doesn't arrive right away. Not such an issue locally but if there are transfers you can be sure your bike will be a few days late.