Local flights with a bike

Jbr

3 minutes ago, dave303e said:

My 2c as well from flying to multiple events with bikes locally and internationally. Get you and the bike there at least 3-5 days before, just in case your bike doesn't arrive right away. Not such an issue locally but if there are transfers you can be sure your bike will be a few days late.

haha I'm not pro enough to do that 😅

9 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Is renting a midsized car not an option so that you can fiddle with dropped seats to get the box in?

yes, could end up cheaper than Uber + shipping the bike both ways. I did not think of the fact that I could still build the bike and fold the box, and fit everything in the car.

This is why I was thinking these nationals would be a good rehearsal for gravel nationals 😅

5 minutes ago, dave303e said:

If you get a bikebox from the bikebox company, the box folds up to a manageable size. Then rent a car with a bike rack. You can unpack in airport parking lot(I have done this before) box goes on back seat, bike on rack and you sorted. Then you also have an easy way to get to start line etc. R2000 will nearly get you 3 days of a basic car and rack and add R600 odd for the bike to fly with you. Vs R1500 to ship it to a branch and then you kind of stuck with a tough to move object that is not where you are arriving and you are hamstrung reliant on others leading up to the event if you need last minute stuff.

My 2c as well from flying to multiple events with bikes locally and internationally. Get you and the bike there at least 3-5 days before, just in case your bike doesn't arrive right away. Not such an issue locally but if there are transfers you can be sure your bike will be a few days late.

good option. they collapse surprisingly quickly too.

22 minutes ago, Jbr said:

To me Gauteng is the wild west, how safe is this route ?

Capture d'écran 2024-01-09 145129.png

Cant see to clearly which road you've selected there, but it appears to be the one I ride, its safe enough. You'll have a tail wind out and headwind back though.

but you dont really want to be riding that route back with 140km of racing in the legs

11 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Is renting a midsized car not an option so that you can fiddle with dropped seats to get the box in?

I once rented a Hyundai getz hatchback and TWO bike boxes fitted nicely in the boot of the vehicle once the full back seat is flattened.

1 minute ago, TCTG said:

I once rented a Hyundai getz hatchback and TWO bike boxes fitted nicely in the boot of the vehicle once the full back seat is flattened.

we managed the same with a Hyundai Atoz. Although the front seats were very close to the dash.

okay yolo... I went for the small car, much cheaper than uber + shipping, and less stress

still an expensive race  😅

While I have your attention, anyone has experience on cost for leaving a car at CPT airport for 36hrs ? if it's anything less that 600 bucks it's also cheaper than Uber 😅

Edited by Jbr

6 hours ago, Jbr said:

Hi everyone, I'm contemplating flying to joburg for a couple of races this season (1st one being road nationals in feb, then probably gravel nationals later in the year).

I checked through google flights, ended up on two different companies website, the one doesn't show options to add sports equipement to the reservation (I think it was airlink), and the other (FlySafair) only shows 3 options (pretty much the normal, premium and first class or something similar), and only the most expensive one has sports equipement included (as well as a few more options I don't care about). Doesn't seem like you can book with the normal package and then add on top your bike equipement as extra. So right now I'm looking 5k just for the flights for one race. Is there other options that I don't know about ?

Should I postnet to postnet my bike and collect it my self there when I arrive ? 🤣

Cheers

I just purchased flights from JHB to Cape Town return for Trailseeker at month end.

R495 return for a bike box when purchase online goes on the plane with me. R700 return if you buy at checking in counter.  

Limit upto 32kg as per attached screen shot from Safair.

IMG-20240109-WA0025-1.jpg

20240109_155355.jpg

Edited by Barry

8 minutes ago, Jbr said:

okay yolo... I went for the small car, much cheaper than uber + shipping, and less stress

still an expensive race  😅

While I have your attention, anyone has experience on cost for leaving a car at CPT airport for 36hrs ? if it's anything less that 600 bucks it's also cheaper than Uber 😅

You should be able to work out the parking costs here:

https://www.airports.co.za/utilities/parking-calculator

With Airlink, you get an overall free baggage allowance of 20kg permitted on an Economy class ticket and an additional 15kg permitted for sporting equipment (Including a bicycle), meaning the total free baggage allowance is 35kg before excess baggage charges apply.

My check-in baggage and bike bag with duel suspension MTB total 38kg. So I had to pay a 3kg excess which was R120.

With a lighter bike and less baggage (shorter trip) then your total can be less than 35kg and therefore no extra charge.

Extra 15 Kg Sporting Equipment Allowance | FlyAirlink

Edited by Mayo916
Added a link

2 minutes ago, Jbr said:

image.png.2fc08fe9d74d4249ebfcd33652630e00.png

Thanks, my understanding is it's 230+150 for 36 hours ? not even worth using uber in the end 😅

One assumes that the online rates are up to date...but when I traveled regularly for business and was away for 2/3 days it was cheaper for me to self-drive and pay parking. Also reliability of Uber in the south early mornings is suspect!