Build Project - Scott Scale 910 - Gravel Hybrid

Hi Everyone,

I have an old 2014 Scott Scale 910 that has become my training bike.
Since I have a proper dual suspension MTB, I would like to convert this epic hardtail into a hybrid gravel bike to use as a training bike or as a super light gravel bike for races like Race to the Sun.

Of course, I don't want to break the bank or spend the equivalent of a new bike on this build, so some advice would be greatly appreciated.

This is what I'm thinking of doing:

1. Replace the fork with a rigid carbon fork.
  2. Replace the tires with narrower tires.
  3. Fit a bigger chainring.
  4. Replace the handlebars with gravel bars.
  5. Replace the brakes that are compatible with the new bars.

My main challenges are the brakes and the rigid fork, as I have no idea which brakes will be compatible and I would like to get a secondhand set. The rigid fork is a challenge, because the 2014 scale has a non-boost wheel. I think the Rapede Pitchfork would work: https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-pitchfork-3-0-29er-forks-v2/, luckily they also have a non-boost adapter If there are better alternatives, I'm all ears.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by MalDevs
Did more research

Why not start with a flatbar and rigid fork?

You're going to spend money on shifters and brakes and you might find the bike doesn't lend itself to the setup or you don't enjoy it as much as you want. This also won't result in any throwaway parts.

4 minutes ago, Roul said:

Why not start with a flatbar and rigid fork?

You're going to spend money on shifters and brakes and you might find the bike doesn't lend itself to the setup or you don't enjoy it as much as you want. This also won't result in any throwaway parts.

this^^^

I have a similar build. Every time I look at a gravel bar option it leads to new shifters, new brakes and unless you are happy to trust and adaption a new derailleur as well. Gravel shifters and brakes are expensive and like hens teeth second hand. 

Change the tyres, a rigid or lauf fork on there, narrow the bar a bit, slap a big 40 tooth chainring up front and enjoy it till you ready to commit further to a full gravel build...

I did a similar set-up with Silverback Sola 4, went 1 x 10 gears (42 front - 11 - 36 at the back), and Maxxis 45 x 700c gravel tires, I stuck with flat MTB bars just to curb costs and I am very happy with the build, weighs 10.5kg with pedals and rolls like a dream even with cheap Syncross wheels.

I use this for my morning training rides.

Check out @KEANBIKESsales1they have a NON-boost option on the ridgit fork.

Send me a DM,

Hybrid.jpg

Edited by Dexter-morgan

If you fit gravel tyres you will probably be able to run a 26” air fork - I swapped the Suntour 80mm coil fork on my 29” hybrid for a 26” Fox F100 series fork (old but good) and it works a treat with my Pirelli Cinturato 40s on the aero wheels that came with the bike. The weight saving was immediately noticeable. And a huge difference in handling. Not sure what fork you currently have on the bike.

I have a Cane Creek Thudbuster on the bike and the drivetrain isn’t light (Microshift Advent plus Prowheel) but the bike itself isn’t noticeably heavy, climbs well, and is “gravel plus” lol as it did Cradle Mountain Challenge and Lion Man before I accepted that I needed a bike with more mountain in it 😂 

But mostly came here to say that you can probably run a lightweight 26 air fork on 700c gravel tyres, and these forks are cheaper and pretty common. 

I've also been toying with the idea of a gravel build (not to keep - to sell on) and as mentioned before: the moment you go drop bars the price difference can be close to 20k (if you go hydraulic STI - to get the same stopping power as MTB brakes). Also, if you have a look at gravel bikes on the market you will notice that the majority of the frames are road frames. From a geometry point of view it will make a difference. 

I second / third the suggestion of a flat bar with a rigid fork. I will be bringing in some stock at the end of the month and will be able to gooi in a rigid carbon fork for you

I did see cable actuated disc brake calipers at TVS Cycles, that would allow you to use cable STI's onto discs.