[Event] Ford Trailseeker | #1 Banhoek

Faces Advendurance

compared to 2 years ago, last years route really sucked, you do that terrible neverending rock/sand section to start off with then only do a little bit of the fun at banhoek and then you have to climb up those steep climbs to hellsend, not even gonna mention the last 10km

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, avatar said:

compared to 2 years ago, last years route really sucked, you do that terrible neverending rock/sand section to start off with then only do a little bit of the fun at banhoek and then you have to climb up those steep climbs to hellsend, not even gonna mention the last 10km

Rode that ugly sandy/rocky section a couple weeks back, it’s at least 5x worst than last year, some sections unrideable (rain/storm damage and rocks all over the place and now the heat making sections even worst of a sandpit - nearly saw my *ss a few times grabbing too much break in very soft sandy turns)😂 

1 hour ago, Kvrsa said:

Rode that ugly sandy/rocky section a couple weeks back, it’s at least 5x worst than last year, some sections unrideable (rain/storm damage and rocks all over the place and now the heat making sections even worst of a sandpit - nearly saw my *ss a few times grabbing too much break in very soft sandy turns)😂 

Cheers for the tip-off. From what I've seen, they usually spruce up the trails a bit before an event. Perhaps @ChrisF could shed some light on the subject; I believe he had a ride there last weekend, if my memory holds true.

4 minutes ago, Dappere said:

Cheers for the tip-off. From what I've seen, they usually spruce up the trails a bit before an event. Perhaps @ChrisF could shed some light on the subject; I believe he had a ride there last weekend, if my memory holds true.

I was on the roadie ... stopped at the gate for a pic

Saturday will be my first ride at Banhoek ... having passed it on the roadie so many times

Edited by ChrisF

8 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I was on the roadie ... stopped at the gate for a pic

Saturday will be my first ride at Banhoek ... having passed it on the roadie so many times

Assumed you were on the mountain bike – my mistake. Did you decide on the new tyres?

Hopefully, I'll run into you at the event.

1 hour ago, Dappere said:

Assumed you were on the mountain bike – my mistake. Did you decide on the new tyres?

Hopefully, I'll run into you at the event.

The tyres comment was tongue in cheek, as the gravel tyres of my roadie were in the photo.

The Giant has a nice set of Vittoria tekkies on it 👍

On 1/24/2024 at 12:06 PM, ChrisF said:

WHAAAAAAAT?

Chris, Chris, Chris, Chris, Chriiiiis!!!

Oh boy you are in for a surprise. You're going to love it.

On 1/24/2024 at 10:37 AM, Kvrsa said:

Rode that ugly sandy/rocky section

Is this that section that extends up the mountain at the top of Klipwerf? I haven't ridden it, heard it wasn't worth the effort.

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

WHAAAAAAAT?

Chris, Chris, Chris, Chris, Chriiiiis!!!

Oh boy you are in for a surprise. You're going to love it.

Not sure this will include the ‘Banhoek’ we all love. Maybe klipwerf. Anyway, not like I actually know. 

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Not sure this will include the ‘Banhoek’ we all love. Maybe klipwerf. Anyway, not like I actually know. 

Kom ons kyk wat die 40km roete insluit 👍

3 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Is this that section that extends up the mountain at the top of Klipwerf? I haven't ridden it, heard it wasn't worth the effort.

No, the section between boschendal and Bethlehem farm, up the lower part of duiwelskloof and across a sandy/rocky single track to afterburn.

I hear they have done some good work there since I rode (rocky crossings are now rideable).

On 1/24/2024 at 8:42 AM, ChrisF said:

@Barry a newbie question .... just being curious ....

I see that you can accumulate points for the year by attending races in other provinces.  What is up for grabs for those who gets the highest points tally ?

Or is it just about getting to ride in other areas ?

PS - As an ebiker I am not in line for any prizes, thus have not looked into that side of the Trailseeker series.

Hi, not sure what prize will be up for grabs with the new sponsor ( Was Cash in the past). Highest point's will be taken from your best 4 results of 6 event's. Ride 4 out of 6 and you will get a free T-shirt (Trail Meraki) and discounted entry fee for all events to follow.

1 minute ago, Barry said:

Hi, not sure what prize will be up for grabs with the new sponsor ( Was Cash in the past). Highest point's will be taken from your best 4 results of 6 event's. Ride 4 out of 6 and you will get a free T-shirt (Trail Meraki) and discounted entry fee for all events to follow.

BEST wishes for your series !!!!

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

BEST wishes for your series !!!!

A little rain for tomorrow would be nice. It is rather warm in this part of the world. 

7 minutes ago, Barry said:

A little rain for tomorrow would be nice. It is rather warm in this part of the world. 

Based on the weather of the last 6 weeks ..... my best guess ....

Nice comfortable cool start after 6:00.

Between 7:00 and 8:00 the cool lifts ....

8:00 to 9:00 it gradually moves from nice to high 20's ....

After 9:00 all bets are off !!!!!!!

Last Saturday it was a very nice 27 at 9:00.  Short coffe stop and 5km later it was reaching for 35 degrees .....

The one big unknown .... what wind will we have tomorrow ..... it heats up earlier on a wind still day ....

faster 40km riders may just miss the worst of the heat.  BUT, I am supposed to save matches for Sundays 102km race .....

Latter half of the long route may be good to plan to stop for water at each point ....

Off course .... energy output at the pointy end may well start feeling the heat earlier .....

PS - ignore these as the rumbling of a nervous first timer that needs to go to bed ..... I have ZERO knowledge of this trail !!!  Just some anecdotal information of the climate around it.

VOORSPOED ryers :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Barry said:

(We had to pay for the Trail Meraki shirts a few years ago...)