[Event] Ford Trailseeker | #1 Banhoek

Faces Advendurance

Event Name: Ford Trailseeker | #1 Banhoek
When: 27/01/2024
Where: Simondium, Wes-Kaap
Category: Mountain Bike

The Ford Trailseeker Series kicks off with #1 Banhoek, a mountain biking experience set against the breathtaking backdrop of the Banhoek Valley Conservancy. Plaisir, a picturesque wine estate at the foot of the Simonsberg Mountain, serves as the starting and finishing point for this thrilling adventure. Known for hosting world-class riders, Banhoek boasts the best trails in the country, providing participants with a unique opportunity to challenge themselves. Taking place at a prime time of the year, this event allows riders to prepare for upcoming challenges while soaking in the beauty of the Cape with its stunning scenery and mountainous landscapes. Following the race, indulge in a warm hospitality experience with wine tasting and a vibrant atmosphere, making #1 Banhoek not just a race but a celebration of the mountain biking spirit. 

Join us for a day of thrilling trails, camaraderie, and the promise of an unforgettable start to the Ford Trailseeker Series.

Go to Event Page.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Any Hubbers doing this one ?

Yep, I am. It's an event I do every year – really well put together, awesome trails, and it's basically on my doorstep.

10 minutes ago, Dappere said:

Yep, I am. It's an event I do every year – really well put together, awesome trails, and it's basically on my doorstep.

I did my first Trailseeker last September, in Wellington.

It was much harder (FASTER) than expected.  But I LOVED it !!!

Will see you at Banhoek :thumbup:

Going to be interesting .... cant burn too many matches, as I am doing Winelands the next day.

17 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I did my first Trailseeker last September, in Wellington.

It was much harder (FASTER) than expected.  But I LOVED it !!!

Will see you at Banhoek :thumbup:

Going to be interesting .... cant burn too many matches, as I am doing Winelands the next day.

Last year, the Banhoek route became quite challenging towards the end. The only issue was the intersection of the Marathon and half-marathon routes with the fun ride and race, especially near the single track on the way back down. This led to bottlenecks, with young kids on the single track pedaling their hearts out amidst a rush of cyclists speeding down. 🤣

Are you doing the marathon?

I opted for the half this year as the Winelands is the next day and I would like to try get some sort of 1b ish seeding again if I can. 

10 minutes ago, Dappere said:

Last year, the Banhoek route became quite challenging towards the end. The only issue was the intersection of the Marathon and half-marathon routes with the fun ride and race, especially near the single track on the way back down. This led to bottlenecks, with young kids on the single track pedaling their hearts out amidst a rush of cyclists speeding down. 🤣

Are you doing the marathon?

Trailseeker has a one batch start for ebikes, limited to the 40km.

Having done the 75km at Vines and Views the previous weekend I was "over confident" about doing only 40km ..... rude awakening ...  Thinking back, second event I went out fast (previous was Patatfees).  Both times I lost steam half way ..... school fees !

Wellington also shared the last section of trails.  At that stage I was riding with a lady on an ebike.  Her first event on the ebike ... fast on the climbs, super slow on twisties, often walking the technical bits ..... I stayed back 2 or 3 bikes and kept an eye out for the racers catching, and letting her know when to pull over.  Thankfully we never kept up anybody, but not a nice formula.

2 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I opted for the half this year as the Winelands is the next day and I would like to try get some sort of 1b ish seeding again if I can. 

Please say Hi if you spot the Blue Beast.

If they follow the same formula as last year, then you may start 1 or 2 batches after the ebikes.

Seems we both will try to save the matches at Banhoek ..... famous last words ....

12 hours ago, Newbie321 said:

Anyone have the full marathon route?

Based on the profile on the website, it’s the same as last year’s route.

2 hours ago, Kvrsa said:

Do you have a GPX file? I just want to see the route more or less

On 1/20/2024 at 8:24 AM, Kvrsa said:

Route profile updated, looks a little different, extra climb and decent in Plaisir and one less climb/descent in Boschendal.

On 1/20/2024 at 7:50 AM, Barry said:

My plan is to do all 6 Trailseeker event's this year. Flights booked from JHB for next week and also for September.

@Barry a newbie question .... just being curious ....

I see that you can accumulate points for the year by attending races in other provinces.  What is up for grabs for those who gets the highest points tally ?

Or is it just about getting to ride in other areas ?

PS - As an ebiker I am not in line for any prizes, thus have not looked into that side of the Trailseeker series.