Which MTB To Buy?

candyfloss

I'm looking into buying a full suspension bike and really cannot make my mind up between the following three options:

I've been browsing the 2nd hand bikes for a while and it does seem the Titan's offer great value for money. Can anyone provide some guidance here, comparing the bike-addict descriptions I struggle to see the difference between the two titans except the race spec and groupset difference.

Is something like the trek fuel really worth the extra? Just to add, I'm on the heavy end so not sure if the judy will be fine on the titan's? 

Edited by candyfloss

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, candyfloss said:

I'm looking into buying a full suspension bike and really cannot make my mind up between the following three options:

I've been browsing the 2nd hand bikes for a while and it does seem the Titan's offer great value for money. Can anyone provide some guidance here, comparing the bike-addict descriptions I struggle to see the difference between the two titans except the race spec and groupset difference.

Is something like the trek fuel really worth the extra?

Having owned the EX5 myself .... please DONT buy it .... it is the worst bike Trek has ever built.

SRAM NX ..... uhm .... let's hear what the rest of the Hub says on this.

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Having owned the EX5 myself .... please DONT buy it .... it is the worst bike Trek has ever built.

Aware the NX isn't ideal, perhaps I can ask bike-addict to do the deore on instead, but their options are stock or the NX on their site. 

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Can you perhaps PM or expand a bit on the issues with the EX? 

1 minute ago, candyfloss said:

Can you perhaps PM or expand a bit on the issues with the EX? 

After 50km (jip, 3rd short ride) the bike creaked .... took it back to the bikeshop (120km return trip).... another 120km to collect the bike.  Never got a straight answer as to what the cause was.

Around 1 000km I had some funny sounds from the rear .... basic wash and lube and checking the bike did not show up the fault.  Next ride was at Meerendal, by the end of the ride the sound from the rear was BAD !!  At the time Knipe_Racing still had their shop at Meerendal, so I walked in and asked them to look at it.  Rear bearing collapsed, totally broken in bits !!  Trek wanted to sell us a new hub!!!  The outer race stuck in the hub.  Louis had to make a custom tool to extract it.

I wanted to replace the quick release seat post clamp with an allen key unit ... nope, Trek uses their own size.  Couple of little things like this ....

Rather go for a bike with industry standard parts.  And where parts are easily available and replaceable.   Well, as much as possible ....

If that's your price range, maybe consider the Orbea H30 from CWC's, they had them on a special a little while back. I've been very happy with mine so far and I've had it just over a year now 🤙

@candyfloss - My 2c to take into consideration:

Think about the riding style & type of trails you want to ride or what interests you...

I've been riding for 2 years, and I'm on my 5th bike now...

I started with a hardtail XC style cheap bike to get back into it, then I got my first dual sus XC bike, then I upgraded to a carbon dual sus XC bike...

I then started getting into doing jumps and wanted to start doing more "gnarly" stuff like all the cool okes do. 😛 So I ended up switching to a cheaper short travel trail bike (140mm front/120mm rear), and rode that bike for close to a year, progressing more, and eventually ended up with a 160mm/146mm Enduro/All mountain bike.

Also start with a proper set of flat pedals & shoes, learn the basics & proper techniques, then switch to clipless if you feel like doing so.

So TL;DR version: Think of the style of trails/riding you'd like to do, if you're interested in doing jumps and rock gardens, get the right bike from the beginning, something with a slacker head angle, more travel front and rear, etc... and in all fairness, a trail (even my Reign) climbs fine if you're not a KOM chasing XCO super athlete. 🤣

Most important thing to remember is to have fun!

Happy biking! 😎

Edited by 440MTB

4 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

If that's your price range, maybe consider the Orbea H30 from CWC's, they had them on a special a little while back. I've been very happy with mine so far and I've had it just over a year now 🤙

Thanks! Will have a look. 

3 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

This orbea is very good value👌

30 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

After 50km (jip, 3rd short ride) the bike creaked .... took it back to the bikeshop (120km return trip).... another 120km to collect the bike.  Never got a straight answer as to what the cause was.

Around 1 000km I had some funny sounds from the rear .... basic wash and lube and checking the bike did not show up the fault.  Next ride was at Meerendal, by the end of the ride the sound from the rear was BAD !!  At the time Knipe_Racing still had their shop at Meerendal, so I walked in and asked them to look at it.  Rear bearing collapsed, totally broken in bits !!  Trek wanted to sell us a new hub!!!  The outer race stuck in the hub.  Louis had to make a custom tool to extract it.

I wanted to replace the quick release seat post clamp with an allen key unit ... nope, Trek uses their own size.  Couple of little things like this ....

Rather go for a bike with industry standard parts.  And where parts are easily available and replaceable.   Well, as much as possible ....

Sample of one. I've had several excellent Treks and great service from two of their dealers as well as a warranty claim that was smooth as silk. The Fuel EX is a smoking deal at the price. But as suggested earlier, buy the right bike for the type of riding you want to do. The Titans will be great for XC duty and can handle some trails, the Trek will be much happier hitting trails up to a few enduro lite lines but will be a bit lazier on the XC type stuff.

36 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

why a 120km round trip to lbs?...was this a friday bike bought at special discount from a bike shop in the swartland?

4 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

why a 120km round trip to lbs?...was this a friday bike bought at special discount from a bike shop in the swartland?

Nope .... thats only a 100km round trip for me .... 🤣

Trek Concept Store in Paarl .... (was at Best Bikes earlier that morning ...)

@thebob certainly ... this is but a sample of 1.  Also on their entry level full suss, which does mean some cost cutting ..... Trek DO have some very nice bikes, by my EX5 certainly was not one of their nice bikes

13 minutes ago, thebob said:

Sample of one. I've had several excellent Treks and great service from two of their dealers as well as a warranty claim that was smooth as silk. The Fuel EX is a smoking deal at the price. But as suggested earlier, buy the right bike for the type of riding you want to do. The Titans will be great for XC duty and can handle some trails, the Trek will be much happier hitting trails up to a few enduro lite lines but will be a bit lazier on the XC type stuff.

Thanks and @440MTB! Super valuable. 

1 hour ago, candyfloss said:

Is something like the trek fuel really worth the extra? Just to add, I'm on the heavy end so not sure if the judy will be fine on the titan's? 

Hi

I am currently cycling with a Titan Cypher RS Team and I am in love, amazing bikes.

Dont know if you perhaps missed this one, its also in your price range. I think its an amazing deal.

https://solomonscycles.co.za/products/titan-cypher-rs-dash-carbon-race-bike-dual-suspension-1-x-12-29-mountain-bike/?attribute_frame-size=Large&utm_source=Google Shopping&utm_campaign=Google Merch &utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=80813&gclid=CjwKCAiA5L2tBhBTEiwAdSxJX4X9xxZ4t2LtiaV9W-L1LpNntA4Q6vdYd7bOJRkvpiLKgV8rvWYMhhoC3KIQAvD_BwE