candyfloss

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, MERGATROID said:

Hi 

Also in a similar predicament looking to either buy good second hand or new. Considering Giant Stance , which seems to be on par with Trek EX 5 in terms of price and specs.

https://bike-addict.co.za/products/giant-stance-29er-2-2022?_pos=10&_sid=e4bad45e7&_ss=r

Again, what type of riding are you looking to do? The Stance is a lighter weight more XC/Lite Trail type bike. The Fuel EX is more Trail/Lite Enduro bike.

50 minutes ago, thebob said:

Again, what type of riding are you looking to do? The Stance is a lighter weight more XC/Lite Trail type bike. The Fuel EX is more Trail/Lite Enduro bike.

Definitely bit more trail.. I have a hardtail and looking for something that handles better and a bit more versatile on the rougher stuff.

Edited by candyfloss

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

me funny sounds from the rear ....

Okay seems the Trek is sold out mostly in my size. Any good alternatives in that price range, it was going for around 30?

Have a trawl through the classifieds and post back here. We're all pretty happy to have a look and help with some feedback. Trek Fuel EX, Specialized Stumpjumper, Giant Trance and many more would fit the bill for you

9 minutes ago, thebob said:

Have a trawl through the classifieds and post back here. We're all pretty happy to have a look and help with some feedback. Trek Fuel EX, Specialized Stumpjumper, Giant Trance and many more would fit the bill for you

Thanks! Having some names to worth with helps. 

5 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Having owned the EX5 myself .... please DONT buy it .... it is the worst bike Trek has ever built.

SRAM NX ..... uhm .... let's hear what the rest of the Hub says on this.

My Son rides the 5th Gen Fuel Ex (Got it on sale new for R30K) ...I love riding it , The Geometry is spot on and I would say this bike is not far off my SB130 for riding comfort when climbing.Only issue we have is the chain keeps dropping off we suspect its the clutch on the Deore. 

21 minutes ago, Shaheedalex said:

My Son rides the 5th Gen Fuel Ex (Got it on sale new for R30K) ...I love riding it , The Geometry is spot on and I would say this bike is not far off my SB130 for riding comfort when climbing.Only issue we have is the chain keeps dropping off we suspect its the clutch on the Deore. 

That is good to hear.

Mine was the 2017 model.

Most certainly, I did enjoy the "feel" of the bike.  Had lots of fun with it at Meerendal.  Then again, as my first full susspension I had no frame of reference .... 😛

The Deore clutch needs a bit of TLC  every couple of months.  Been some time since I opened and serviced it, but did give it a quarter turn to firm up the clutch over the weekend.  Once you know the routine it takes a few minutes to properly service it.

@candyfloss 

Worth mentioning (if I missed the fact that someone already else has) is that Titan racing are a local brand with some pretty good support (If the reviews on the hub are anything to go by).

Always nice to know you are in good hands when something does go wrong.

Still sad they don't make some trail and enduro bikes. Would be nice to see some more local budget friendly options there but I guess there just is not enough market for it. 🥲

Just be careful buying at the budget end especially on full squish bikes. You could end up spending a lot of money on groupsets wearing out very quickly. 

As some other pointed out the classifieds here will probably be a very good place to go bargain hunting.

Whatever you get, may it bring you hours of creak and puncture free joy!

33 minutes ago, WT said:

@candyfloss 

Worth mentioning (if I missed the fact that someone already else has) is that Titan racing are a local brand with some pretty good support (If the reviews on the hub are anything to go by).

Always nice to know you are in good hands when something does go wrong.

Still sad they don't make some trail and enduro bikes. Would be nice to see some more local budget friendly options there but I guess there just is not enough market for it. 🥲

Just be careful buying at the budget end especially on full squish bikes. You could end up spending a lot of money on groupsets wearing out very quickly. 

As some other pointed out the classifieds here will probably be a very good place to go bargain hunting.

Whatever you get, may it bring you hours of creak and puncture free joy!

Soon🤫🤐

Another thing to mention is they have a 5 year multi user warranty so you can look at a second hand one as well. Just send them a email with the SN and check the warranty status