Around the pot: participants of the cancelled 2023 only get 20% discount for 2024

olmec

6 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I guess we can ignore the weather during those weeks because it was also on lockdown?

capetonians are hard work sometimes.

5 years of drought, and then they moan when it rains a bit in winter once the dams are fuller. I know some people still have PTSD from not having lubed their drivetrains in 2022 and crying at the LBS the next week, my gravel bike survived it totally fine.

image.png.7448bb0c8af37665af0d2593c70ef8b1.png

Of course you can always wait and do a last minute entry once windguru is in the range and it is predicting goldilocks weather. You'll be in the category of people moaning that there's no goody bag and accomodation is hard to find. I hope Rohan takes the 20% discount at this stage away for apathy tax.

but looking quickly at some archive stuff,

2019 was indeed reported as muddy, looks ok in the pictures

image.png.d1415ea3ee67cfb7cde5b73cee504da0.png

image.png.c2dd3f46c55ab79dbfa7f7b71f76b4aa.png

https://fullsus.co.za/posthumus-and-webb-win-2019-chas-everitt-around-the-pot-overberg-100miler-presented-by-seesa/

https://www.velotales.com/2018/07/around-pot-2018.html

2018 has some nice little words that ring true, and why I'm defending this event, and even more ok if the flipfloppers don't enter

It's not often that a race comes along that has the ability to fill one with such emotion. Not the "Why-did-I-enter-this-race-I'm-going-to-die" sort of emotion - we'll get to that later - the "I-don't-want-to-tell-anyone-about-this-event-because-it's-amazing" selfishness that filled us after last year's race. This is a bike riding event run by people who get bike riding. Things just work. Everyone is a rock star. And there is a burger and beer at the finish.

37677736_2088142438073239_6852349737828352_o.jpg
Dane the Limpet

The selfishness comes in that with the inevitable growth of an event, the very things that make an event unique are lost as the event scales. So I tried not to tell anyone about The Around The Pot 100 Miler. But someone spoke, breaking the secret pact we'd all sworn to keep and come race day this year, registration was mass of race snakes, weekend warriors, endurance addicts and sufferfest seekers. And their families. And their friends.

Around the Pot is in the middle of the rain season and has a been affected by rain multiple times in the past, I don't quite get why stating there there is a risk of a mud fest is so controversial for you?

Yes I am ignoring the covid years because I cannot comment on the weather of events that never happened.

2018 I was there, muddy & wet conditions initially but got better later as the sun came out.

I might lose out on an entry or have to pay extra if I leave entering very late, no problem with that. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any event happening between July-October has a risk of being rained out. And that’s probably 90% of the gravel and off-road events.

Nothing we can do about it though. 2023 was a terrible winter in terms of rain but we needed it as well. 

2 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Around the Pot is in the middle of the rain season and has a been affected by rain multiple times in the past, I don't quite get why stating there there is a risk of a mud fest is so controversial for you?

Yes I am ignoring the covid years because I cannot comment on the weather of events that never happened.

2018 I was there, muddy & wet conditions initially but got better later as the sun came out.

I might lose out on an entry or have to pay extra if I leave entering very late, no problem with that. 

One might find the real challange with late entry is finding accomodation.... unless you are doing the tent thing.

23 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

I don't quite get why stating there there is a risk of a mud fest is so controversial for you?

It's only controversial because you're cherrypicking anecdotal data.

Maybe I am putting you in that box of chops who say:"I'm not doing the argus because it was windy last year". Or capetonians who moan about the  terrible weather in general, it's flippen balmy where we live!

Winter rainfall here comes mainly in frontal systems, big storm for 2/3 days and then lovely sunshine for a week or longer.. So while July is "rainy season", you're much more likely to get a lovely day than not.

image.png.c1547d20cce602013a12337fc94113b6.png

I don't have access to saws historical data, but this is probably satellite based with some local real world(CT airport) to tweak their algorithm.

https://weatherspark.com/y/85361/Average-Weather-in-Swellendam-South-Africa-Year-Round

Edited by Shebeen
dbl piksha

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

It's only controversial because you're cherrypicking anecdotal data.

Maybe I am putting you in that box of chops who say:"I'm not doing the argus because it was windy last year". Or capetonians who moan about the  terrible weather in general, it's flippen balmy where we live!

Winter rainfall here comes mainly in frontal systems, big storm for 2/3 days and then lovely sunshine for a week or longer.. So while July is "rainy season", you're much more likely to get a lovely day than not.

image.png.c1547d20cce602013a12337fc94113b6.png

I don't have access to saws historical data, but this is probably satellite based with some local real world(CT airport) to tweak their algorithm.

https://weatherspark.com/y/85361/Average-Weather-in-Swellendam-South-Africa-Year-Round

Anecdotal, eish. Going to have to agree to disagree on this before we bore hubbers to death. If the bad weather trend turns around I am happy to change my mind on entering early.