TdF 2025 spectator

IceCreamMan

My mate and I are planning to spectate at the tour for a week in the summer of 2025. Final dates obviously on route publication. We are thinking of either taking motorcycles/car over on the ferry or some sort of bus trip on a pre planned tour of sorts. 

so, any guidance of previous attendees , could we camp if on motorcycles etc. any advice is welcomed. This is a bucket list item for both of us so want to make it as awesome as possible. 

Thanks in advance. 

I did this 15-odd years ago, great fun, and it was the Alpe du Huez time-trial tour, with Lance and Big Jan Ulrich, fun times.

We based ourself in a town within riding distance of a COUPLE of stages, and cycled up to a vantage point BEFORE the tour came through, and then could cycle back to or guest-house each afternoon, then repeat the next day…

On a motorbike, using a map, I feel you could BASE YOURSELF in one town, for say 3 nights, and watch 3+ stages without riding overly far, just something to think about…

Ice Cream Man / Zebra, Flying Brick!

Edited by Zebra
Spelling

I was at the finish in Paris in 2019. It was incredible. You will not believe how fast these guys ride!!! On the cobbles!!

Try to find a stage where they loop around, so you can see more than just a 60 second blitz of speed and colour.

Apparently, a TT Day is also cool as they come past continuously.

I would look at this year 2024 if you can.With the Olympics been in Paris the finish has moved to Nice on final day.While this might sound boring a TT from Monaco to Nice on the final day is going to make for one hell of a finish.Thinking of going for last few days with wife and can move between Monaco and Nice.

As mentioned before the atmosphere is absolutely amazing and when you see the speeds they ride you realise everyone here in SA are just coffee shop riders.

5 hours ago, stringbean said:

I would look at this year 2024 if you can.With the Olympics been in Paris the finish has moved to Nice on final day.While this might sound boring a TT from Monaco to Nice on the final day is going to make for one hell of a finish.Thinking of going for last few days with wife and can move between Monaco and Nice.

As mentioned before the atmosphere is absolutely amazing and when you see the speeds they ride you realise everyone here in SA are just coffee shop riders.

Unfortunately 2024 is not possible. We doing a tour of Scotland earlier in the summer on motorcycles and our wives won’t allow us to go and play twice in one summer. 😂

5 hours ago, stringbean said:

We’ve been to a few  different TDF stages (Monaco, Paris, London) and I prefer the start of a stage as you can stroll around all the team busses while the mechanics get the bikes ready and where the riders warm up on their rollers. We went to Monaco when LAnce was riding for Astana…. By pure flook we booked into the same hotel as LA and a host of other riders were staying in.

My tip for anyone going is not take too many pictures of the actual racing, usually the pics come out quite blah and you miss seeing the riders.

July is my birthday month and wifey has just this week booked us into a Monaco hotel very close to where the team busses will be parked for the start for the 2024 tour. Hopefully Vroomie and a few Saffas manage to find their way into the tour.

13 hours ago, SwissVan said:

We’ve been to a few  different TDF stages (Monaco, Paris, London) and I prefer the start of a stage as you can stroll around all the team busses while the mechanics get the bikes ready and where the riders warm up on their rollers. We went to Monaco when LAnce was riding for Astana…. By pure flook we booked into the same hotel as LA and a host of other riders were staying in.

My tip for anyone going is not take too many pictures of the actual racing, usually the pics come out quite blah and you miss seeing the riders.

July is my birthday month and wifey has just this week booked us into a Monaco hotel very close to where the team busses will be parked for the start for the 2024 tour. Hopefully Vroomie and a few Saffas manage to find their way into the tour.

Think my wife needs a call from your wife. Nice one. 

I was at the start for the 2007 edition starting in London. This was awesome because it included the behind the scenes for the presentation rehearsal, the presentation proper, the prologue, and stage 1 from London to Canterbury. The best part of this was that I was able to see EVERY rider and DS up close and personal, in the line-up and in motion. I got to shout at Robbie Hunter and he struck a pose for me since he saw my SA flag. Lastly, I got to meet Phil Liggett.

Also, I was so early for the prologue that I was able to check out racing lines in front of Buckingham Palace. I was literally the first spectator in that area (if not the course). I set my camera up there because they would go around both sides of the circle. The security eventually came to tell me that I set up in the barricade safety zone which prevents the entire fence from toppling over in a crash. It was the line of fire that I was looking for, so I only moved away by about a metre. I got a tan of note but it was so worth it.

No advice available on the wife situation, except to say that priorities need to be re-evaluated LOL 🙂

21 hours ago, stringbean said:

South of France is epic.! I hate Paris.. but Nice is one of the best places I have ever been. That’s going to be an awesome finish.😃🤙🏻

Watching them come to Paris is epic! The international vibe is amazing! Be prepared for 6 deep crowds but insane speeds on cobbles. The cameras do not give you an accurate reading on how fast they are going! The final lap is motorbike speeds! I was in awe…. Well worth it, bucket list ticked.

Next is the Giro or the Worlds.*

* based on currency exchange and I need to do this honey….😂😂😂