Garmin 1030 Battery

MudLark

17 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

@BigDLYou don't stick a pin into the battery. The LI-Po Batteries on the RC Helicopters Are Packed in Plastic and they get a Build Up of Gas Inside the Plastic Packaging You just pop the Packaging not the Battery. If You Stick anything into the Battery it Could Go UP in Flames. In the Picture I show one that's been Popped and still works perfectly. 

batt1.jpg

Done it with RC model yacht batteries.  Worked every time. As dasilvarsa says, don't pop the battery!!! 

7 hours ago, droo said:

You definitely can.

You really shouldn't, but you can.

Prick it or stack multiple cells?

Just now, DieselnDust said:

Prick it or stack multiple cells?

Prick it.

If stacking multiple cells was problematic we'd have far fewer battery powered gadgets to play with.

Just now, droo said:

Prick it.

If stacking multiple cells was problematic we'd have far fewer battery powered gadgets to play with.

From the stacking perspective on the 1030 I don’t think there’s enough space to stack cells.

in other applications it’s common 

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

From the stacking perspective on the 1030 I don’t think there’s enough space to stack cells.

in other applications it’s common 

No, but I know on the 130 you can fit a much bigger cell in and boost battery life significantly. May be possible with the 1030 as well.

Okay, update.

Garmin have quoted me R2.9k (incl VAT) to replace the entire device with a new one and to simultaneously upgrade to a 1040. I think that's fair enough.

In an ideal world the batteries would be available locally and it would cost about R500 for the Cameron Sino replacement (plus labour or DIY). I'd be happy with that but R2.5k to upgrade to a 1040 is also worth it I guess. And I have had the 1030 since the first half of 2018. I think it's very fair of Garmin.

Thanks to @DieselnDust for telling me to try the Garmin repair route. 

Edited by MudLark