Bike Computer and Ride Drink

Bundu Ric

Hi al, 

Thought I would cover this in one, as an old weekend cyclist that will start dabbling in a bit of racing (non-competitive) this year. 

I currently have a Wahoo Element Bolt, and on the trails with the older eyes I now feel the screen is getting a bitt small to see and navigate when riding. What would be the recommended bike computer now with a decent size screen and color?

Then for riding, and I have looked, there are zillions of drinks, what should I drink during my rides, and these would vary from 25-50km rides for now to keep hydrated but also fuelled during the ride?

Thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the computer, I admit I am a bit biased towards Garmin. I would recommend the 840; solar or no solar is a consideration, but for the described training load, the non-solar version's battery life is more than sufficient for multiple rides before needing a recharge. If budget constraints are a concern, the 540 is worth considering. Should you desire a larger screen, the 1040 is an option. I borrowed a mate's 1040 to test and found it to be a tad too large for my liking, ultimately opting for the 840, thereby replacing my older Garmin.

Regarding hydration, a calorie drink is more than sufficient. If you're adding more kilometres to your training, consider a calorie drink that includes some protein.

Products I use:

• Calorie drink: 32gi Endure
  • Calorie drink with protein: 32gi Race Pro - Super Carb/Protein

Products I have used in the past with success:

• Calorie drink: Cadence CarboFuel
  • Calorie drink with protein: Cadence Marathon

Regarding the device, have a look at the Garmin Edge Explore 2. Its bigger than the 500 & 800 series and only marginally smaller than the 1000 series. It has most of the features of the rest of the Edge series with the exception of mtb dynamics and some of the advanced training features (interval workouts, stamina and daily suggested workouts) as its focus is on navigating. The problem is it doesn't appear to be available in SA. If you know someone traveling from the UK that could bring one home for you, you can get one for GBP220.

Re nutrition, agree with Dappere, but I find Cadence marathon does't agree with my stomach (that's a me issue, not Cadence).

Edited by wolver

28 minutes ago, Dappere said:

Products I use:

IMHO no need to for the more expensive Race Pro, the normal Race does the job for most of us. Even when I'm redlining it for an entire Grand Fondo, Race works for me. (although I do supplement with energy gel)

Biggest garmin touch screen you can afford I guess.. 

and then buy some hydration/calorie supplements and see what you like or works best for you.. you might like one that’s not quite as effective simply because of the taste.. and if that makes you happy and gets you riding, then f$&king A.. 

*I don’t like telling people what to put in their bodies, even if I’ve personally had good results with it myself.. I’m not qualified..

24 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

IMHO no need to for the more expensive Race Pro, the normal Race does the job for most of us. Even when I'm redlining it for an entire Grand Fondo, Race works for me. (although I do supplement with energy gel)

I absolutely agree; I find that the Race Pro is particularly effective for me during longer ultra rides, especially when the thought of chewing solid food becomes a burden, and I struggle to consume gels.

1 hour ago, wolver said:

Regarding the device, have a look at the Garmin Edge Explore 2. Its bigger than the 500 & 800 series and only marginally smaller than the 1000 series. It has most of the features of the rest of the Edge series with the exception of mtb dynamics and some of the advanced training features (interval workouts, stamina and daily suggested workouts) as its focus is on navigating. The problem is it doesn't appear to be available in SA. If you know someone traveling from the UK that could bring one home for you, you can get one for GBP220.

Re nutrition, agree with Dappere, but I find Cadence marathon does't agree with my stomach (that's a me issue, not Cadence).

Thanks will have a look at the mode, I will be in Amsterdam in May, so looking at options and potentially purchasing during my trip, hence doing the homework now.

2 hours ago, Super Sywurm said:

I drink Oh Oh Oh Oh Oros...

...and Energade and water.  I know there is better stuff out there, but this is what I use.

Also energade concentrate is my favorite, and if we don’t have that in the cupboard there will always be oros so I’m happy to use that as well..🤙🏻 otherwise water🤷🏼‍♂️🤣🤣

3 hours ago, Dappere said:

Considering the computer, I admit I am a bit biased towards Garmin. I would recommend the 840; solar or no solar is a consideration, but for the described training load, the non-solar version's battery life is more than sufficient for multiple rides before needing a recharge. If budget constraints are a concern, the 540 is worth considering. Should you desire a larger screen, the 1040 is an option. I borrowed a mate's 1040 to test and found it to be a tad too large for my liking, ultimately opting for the 840, thereby replacing my older Garmin.

Regarding hydration, a calorie drink is more than sufficient. If you're adding more kilometres to your training, consider a calorie drink that includes some protein.

Products I use:

Products I have used in the past with success:

• Calorie drink: Cadence CarboFuel
  • Calorie drink with protein: Cadence Marathon

Can i ask you why you changed from  Cadence to 32gi?

7 minutes ago, DroppedRider said:

5 -8 Tablespoons of Sugar Water, a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon juice. Been a revelation for me especially on hard rides. 

This concoction was easy to drink, but I found it did not give my body what it needed on longer rides.

1 minute ago, The Ouzo said:

This concoction was easy to drink, but I found it did not give my body what it needed on longer rides.

Yeah 5 Tablespoons is only 65g of carbs. Bro science in 2024 says you need 80g -120g an hour. When it's a long hard race then I up the sugar in each bottle. I found I can go up to even 10 with no problems. 

Also I try and have some medjool dates, fast bars or any other carbs to top up on the sugar water because I get hungry. Two bottles is what works for me. 

*** cheap too as I just raid the kitchen cabinet for sugar. Sometimes when the easy group ride becomes a pissing competition I stop at coffeeshops and raid their sugar sachets too. Adding them to enerjades or Powerades makes a quick garage stop power drink so that I can execute my revenge easier. 

Just now, RustyHWR said:

Can i ask you why you changed from  Cadence to 32gi?

Yes, of course. I haven't completely stopped using Cadence; rather, I find myself rotating between Cadence and 32gi every couple of months, primarily to combat taste fatigue.

In my opinion, Cadence Marathon stands out as one of the best endurance-focused drinks on the market.

14 minutes ago, Dappere said:

Yes, of course. I haven't completely stopped using Cadence; rather, I find myself rotating between Cadence and 32gi every couple of months, primarily to combat taste fatigue.

In my opinion, Cadence Marathon stands out as one of the best endurance-focused drinks on the market.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not affiliated to any of the two companies, but been using Cadence for years now and was just concerned?  

For what it's worth - I am making my own energy drink using a recipe suggested by someone else on the forum (https://runographer.com/2015/12/homemade-sports-drink-for-the-ultimate-diy-running-nutrition/). It doesn't have optimal fructose:glucose ratio because it was done in 2015 before they figured that out (and I'm not trying to get 120g/hour anyway), but seems to work fine for me with a tiny bit of Oros for taste. And it comes in at like 1/5 the price.

Also, the Karoo Hammerhead is the best gps cycling computer don't believe the garmin fanboys (kidding, get whatever is cheaper, they are all mostly the same). Just don't get a Wahoo HRM strap...