Converting a 2x10 to a 1x12

BigDL

I’ve searched the forum and can’t find the info I need, and the internet seems to have much contradictory info, so here’s hoping for some hub wisdom.

I have a giant anthem 29er. It’s a bit of a hodge podge of components as I have replaced bits and pieces as they break, including the frame after my 2014 frame broke and giant replaced it with a 2016 frame. 

Due to parts availability (or lack thereof), I would like to convert the bike to a 1x12, but don’t know if this is feasible. Has anyone done something similar before or have knowledge of whether this is doable?

9 minutes ago, BigDL said:

I’ve searched the forum and can’t find the info I need, and the internet seems to have much contradictory info, so here’s hoping for some hub wisdom.

I have a giant anthem 29er. It’s a bit of a hodge podge of components as I have replaced bits and pieces as they break, including the frame after my 2014 frame broke and giant replaced it with a 2016 frame. 

Due to parts availability (or lack thereof), I would like to convert the bike to a 1x12, but don’t know if this is feasible. Has anyone done something similar before or have knowledge of whether this is doable?

Very doable.

2 x crank will do the job. Just remove the chainrings and fit a NW ring.

Biggest challenge will be the hub freebody. If you still have the giant branded wheels in there, it should have a rebranded DT Swiss hub, which will make this freebody change easy. Even if QR. I just fitted a Microspline Freebody to a Giant PX1 QR wheel without issues.

That 2016 frame also have removable dropouts, so you can run either QR or TA.

From there it is just a matter of checking chain line and of you go.😁

Edited by Koos Likkewaan 2

4 minutes ago, Koos Likkewaan 2 said:

Very doable.

2 x crank will do the job. Just remove the chainrings and fit a NW ring.

Biggest challenge will be the hub freebody. If you still have the giant branded wheels in there, it should have a rebranded DT Swiss hub, which will make this freebody change easy. Even if QR. I just fitted a Microspline Freebody to a Giant PX1 QR wheel without issues.

That 2016 frame also have removable dropouts, so you can run either QR or TA.

From there it is just a matter of checking chain line and of you go.😁

Thank you - wasn’t aware of the QR option. When the frame was replaced I had to pay for new wheels due to no QR. I appreciate the advice 

4 minutes ago, BigDL said:

Thank you - wasn’t aware of the QR option. When the frame was replaced I had to pay for new wheels due to no QR. I appreciate the advice 

Even better. If it is TA already, it is one less thing to worry about. To find the QR end cap that works with the 12spd freebody can be a little difficult. TA, not so much.

Now the challenge is to find the correct freebody for the hub on your new wheelset, but that should not be to difficult.

4 minutes ago, Koos Likkewaan 2 said:

Even better. If it is TA already, it is one less thing to worry about. To find the QR end cap that works with the 12spd freebody can be a little difficult. TA, not so much.

Now the challenge is to find the correct freebody for the hub on your new wheelset, but that should not be to difficult.

Thanks 🙏 

First thing we need to know is what rear hub you have.

If it's got a steel HG (old Shimano) driver, you can get 12sp cassettes from SRAM or Sunrace that will fit, but if you can get the Shimano Microspline driver you'll have a much better experience overall.

The rest is plug and play.

1 minute ago, droo said:

If it's got a steel HG (old Shimano) driver, you can get 12sp cassettes from SRAM or Sunrace that will fit, but if you can get the Shimano Microspline driver you'll have a much better experience overall.

Thank you - I’ll have a look later when I’m home 

On 2/13/2024 at 1:42 PM, droo said:

As far as I can work out, it is the Microspline driver 

Microspline smicrospline.

XD, SmecD. 

Here's my 2 cents and that is why I am mocking the two above: the moment you go microspline or XD the manufacturer have you on the short and curlies and any future replacement has to be their brand. Keep your freehub the normal HG and go generic it is way cheaper 

10 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Microspline smicrospline.

XD, SmecD. 

Here's my 2 cents and that is why I am mocking the two above: the moment you go microspline or XD the manufacturer have you on the short and curlies and any future replacement has to be their brand. Keep your freehub the normal HG and go generic it is way cheaper 

Not true, there’s a range of generic options available for both microspline and XD. 

2 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Not true, there’s a range of generic options available for both microspline and XD. 

Readily available at all the local bike shops? 

3 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

but still WAY more expensive than a HG cassette as it still has to be machined from a single piece of material?

On 2/13/2024 at 3:42 PM, droo said:

Droo what’s the advantage of going to Microspline over HG if you already have a HG driver? Better cassettes options, better shifting? 

2 hours ago, Mongoose! said:

but still WAY more expensive than a HG cassette as it still has to be machined from a single piece of material?

Eh? No it does not has to be. XT isn’t one piece. Deore is as cost effective as anything else, as is NX/SX non series. Sunrace cassettes, etc. 

35 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Eh? No it does not has to be. XT isn’t one piece. Deore is as cost effective as anything else, as is NX/SX non series. Sunrace cassettes, etc. 

An XD cassette is machined out of one piece of material / or rivet together as one piece ... Sram or generic, they are m@er expensive. NX/SX / "Deore"  fit on a HG freebody and dont have a 10 t

microspline and XD means you run a 10t at the back...

Edited by Mongoose!