Best Gravel tire width for racing

MrGT

Hi all

Got myself a Specialized Diverge Comp and been loving the ride quality whilst riding some dirt roads in the Berg. At the moment I have 42mm sawtooths on my bike and have to wonder if they the weapon of choice for gravel races in KZN.

I see all the shops sell their gravel bikes with 38c and this is my question - is that the goto size for gravel racers or is it just like a starter tire which you customize to preference. I am a roadie so to me a low rolling resistance and good handling  is king.

I am very new to this sport and will be doing the berg 100 as my first race. Just don't want to pitch up to a gunfight with a rubber knive. Any advice will be appreciated!

BTW i have bontrager paradigm 25mm rims 

Edited by MrGT
Spelling

Depends on how much asphalt there is. If substantial, narrower makes sense.

Otherwise you'll be just fine with 40c tyres with appropriate tyre pressures.

I have found the sawtooths to be a bit slippy in mud. They become slicks once the sipes fill.

My favourite to date os the Vredestein Aventuras. 

Depends on the area and surface you ride.  For a fair amount of tar and smooth gravel a 35/38c tyre is fine. If the roads get rough and corrugated, you want to drop tyre pressure to take the edge off. For that you need volume and 45/50c would be the way to go.

Also have a diverge with 42mm pathfinder pros on it. Pretty happy with them, but I find myself wanting larger tyres that can I run at lower pressures quite often. But even the 42mm pathfinders don't need to be super hard. 

There's a lot to consider in terms of tyre choice and pressure though. The terrain and conditions will play a role, but then your skill levels, weight and desires are also big factors. My desire for wider tyres though is driven by a desire for more grip and a softer ride, but comes at the expense of probably being a bit slower over tarmac or super hardpacked roads. On a 100km+ technical gravel ride though, I think the extra grip and more comfortable ride is faster than the advantages you could gain with narrower tyres on any tarmac sections, and probably subjectively more enjoyable. 

On your original question though, 42mm tyres are more than adequate, and at the right pressure, arguably better than 38s over some courses. Some guys will definitely be running narrower tyres, and some wider, but 42's are very common, and I considered it an upgrade to go from 38mm to 42mm tyres.

At the end of the day most end up with the widest their frame can take...If I have to buy a gravel bike today my first requirement will be tire clearance. 50mm with 700 wheels. Do not fall for the 650 at 50mm scam...:ph34r:😉

11 hours ago, V18 said:

I have found the sawtooths to be a bit slippy in mud. They become slicks once the sipes fill.

+1

In my book, comfort equals speed. I don't believe rolling resistance based on the tyre width is that crucial on a smooth gravel road. Tyre pressures based on your tyre width and weight is more crucial.

But seeing as you're so new to cycling, don't sweat it so early on. Go out there, experiment, find your own sweet spot. 

3 hours ago, Mongoose! said:

At the end of the day most end up with the widest their frame can take...If I have to buy a gravel bike today my first requirement will be tire clearance. 50mm with 700 wheels. Do not fall for the 650 at 50mm scam...:ph34r:😉

Please elaborate?

12 hours ago, V18 said:

+ 1 on the Vredestein tyres. I run 44c, good on the road and off-road.

the wider the better. I'm currently on 42 because it was the max my previous bike could take, now that I have a crux, I'm waiting to put on 45s for the next bloc of races. Trying to wear my current pathfinders 42c as much as possible before I put on those Challenge getaways 45c, but pathfinders seem to have an endless life.

Edited by Jbr

I'm currently running Rambler 45c's at 2 bar and I'm finding them a great all-round tire (excuse the pun). Sidewalls are maybe a little too thin to risk lower pressures but it's a compromise. Weirdly enough, they feel like they roll a whole lot better than the stock 38's that came on my Revolt.