Total beginner needs advice on buying a bike

Lore

I'm busy collect as much info about what bike to buy, but I'm totally confused due to info overload and do not know what to focus on.

I'm 169cm and inseam is 79cm.  I think I will buy a medium - not sure.  I have approx R15k to buy a bike.  There are so many features to compare and I do not know what's the best.  I totally new in bike riding.  We need to use it for leisure - riding on some dirt roads and around in the neighbourhood.  Maybe later we will also join a group, but at first I want to settle in biking riding.

I want to buy a 29er hardtail, (that's all that I'm sure about).  But what other features should one consider, like: 

What shocks (air or coil?) :

What size - small or medium?

Type of brakes?

Is a TREK Marlin 7 a good buy for R13000 on sale?

I'm in the Bloem area and would also consider a good second hand bike, but afraid that I might waste my money.

I will appreciate some advice!!

I found a good buy on a 2019 Trek Roscoe 8 that i picked up for a steal, even though its an older year model, the bike has blown me away with what it delivers from a hardtail

Just did some trail riding today with some fun downhill through the forest, and the bike was a blast,

Only upgrades i have on it is shorter stem and new high rise bars, otherwise completely stock pretty much.

I am no fundi when it comes to bikes, but for a Hardtail and pricing hard to beat a Roscoe when i compare what the equivalent Marlins specs are and price range.

And i have seen a few floating around here within your price range budget

But sure you will be able to find something suitable on here with input from other more knowledgeful memebers 

Good luck :)

1 hour ago, Lore said:

I'm busy collect as much info about what bike to buy, but I'm totally confused due to info overload and do not know what to focus on.

I'm 169cm and inseam is 79cm.  I think I will buy a medium - not sure.  I have approx R15k to buy a bike.  There are so many features to compare and I do not know what's the best.  I totally new in bike riding.  We need to use it for leisure - riding on some dirt roads and around in the neighbourhood.  Maybe later we will also join a group, but at first I want to settle in biking riding.

I want to buy a 29er hardtail, (that's all that I'm sure about).  But what other features should one consider, like: 

What shocks (air or coil?) :

What size - small or medium?

Type of brakes?

Is a TREK Marlin 7 a good buy for R13000 on sale?

I'm in the Bloem area and would also consider a good second hand bike, but afraid that I might waste my money.

I will appreciate some advice!!

I’m not so clued up on mountain bikes but for the people that are you need to screenshot or link the specs to know if it’s a good deal on that marlin.. groupset, what type of suspension etc.. I’m a trek fan though, so I’d probably buy that😉🤙🏻

16 minutes ago, Miz3r said:

I found a good buy on a 2019 Trek Roscoe 8 that i picked up for a steal, even though its an older year model, the bike has blown me away with what it delivers from a hardtail

Just did some trail riding today with some fun downhill through the forest, and the bike was a blast,

Only upgrades i have on it is shorter stem and new high rise bars, otherwise completely stock pretty much.

I am no fundi when it comes to bikes, but for a Hardtail and pricing hard to beat a Roscoe when i compare what the equivalent Marlins specs are and price range.

And i have seen a few floating around here within your price range budget

But sure you will be able to find something suitable on here with input from other more knowledgeful memebers 

Good luck :)

I’ve only heard good things about the Roscoe 

You should be a size Medium in most bikes (sometimes a size is a bit bigger or smaller)

You will most certainly get coflicting feedback:

1. Potentially better bike if you buy secondhand.

2. Warrantee and some piece of mind when buying new.

Neither option is actually that clear cut !!

I have just finished with a rebuild of 29" hardtail in Medium .... two unexpected items added significantly to the cost !!

If you decide to go second hand, try to buy from somebody like @RobertWhitehead.  He can build something to your wishlist and to your budget.

Buying new ... be sure to buy from a decent store, with a good workshop.  Ask here, and the locals will let you know who are good in your area. 

Please dont waste your money buying new, bikes are probably the fastest depreciating purchase you will make.

You can get a decent 2nd hand bike that has a decent frame/forks and boost through-axle wheelset, that you can then upgrade components or service them when you need.

Enjoy the ride, and in time to come when the bug bites, you then have enough understanding to decide on what type of bike you would like to build based on the riding you enjoy, and whether you want to go fs or ht.

I also recommend a professional to assist you in correctly setting up you and your bike, normaly costs anywhere from R850 and can be done at your lbs. This service includes correct seat height and position/ correct stem and handle bar length/ positioning brake and gear levers, incl setting up your compression and rebound of your forks according to your weight.

Edited by Dirk Stoffberg

For your budget: definitely go hard tail, preferably with air suspension up front.

Play close attention to the groups on any bike you want to buy: learn the differences between the various Shimano and Sram drivetrains (and brakes, for that matter), and shop with a minimum requirement for that (for Shimano I'd say the basic Deore as a minimum, not sure what the Sram equivalent it). 

You'll likely get a MUCH better deal buying used (considering your budget), but ask someone to help you source an honest bike.

Welcome, good luck, let us know what you get and enjoy the ride. 👍