[Event] Knysna Cycle Tour 2024

AFinn

6 minutes ago, Holmsie said:

Anybody else experience challenges with timing in road race? 

@Holmsie Yes. Apparently, I won the tandem race on my own!

9 minutes ago, renayg said:

@Holmsie Yes. Apparently, I won the tandem race on my own!

Congrats!!! 😃

Glad to hear it isn't just me. They never recorded a time for my son(50km), when this was queried with them the incorrect time and placing was recorded. This was eventually corrected after looking at video footage. 

The age categories are incorrect. In my son's case, he is a 13yr old - therefore u/15 as per the CSA handbook(this is a CSA sanctioned race) but they have him racing in the u/16 category. There is no under 16 category. Radio silence from Bouttime when I have queried this with them - ie no response to multiple emails.

I do concede that Bouttime seem to know what they're doing ito MTB, trail running, tri , motorcycle racing - I'm not knocking their knowledge overall, however I am concerned about our experience in the road race.

Edited by Holmsie
spelling

On 7/1/2024 at 10:05 AM, HdB said:

How did your rides go?

The weather was great, the race village was better than last year. No issues with route marking or late marshals on the MTB that I am aware of, and good attendance for all the distances on both days.

My legs took a while to wake up on Sunday after the previous day's 80-ish, so I sat too far back and missed some of the faster groups on the first climb out of Knysna. Stupid, in hindsight, but oh well.

Really enjoyed both events and I hope they stick to this format going forward. Was really surprised by how well attended both days were. Carnival area was full activity well. 

In terms of the routes, the mtb race was essentially a gravel race to me which I don’t really have any issue with. Was really fast and and I put in a lot which attached my Sundays race. The 2km of singletrack right at the end though, not really sure what was the point of that? It was horrible, non flowing and roots everywhere. And then I also had the same issue with slower riders not giving way which was a bit frustrating. If there was one suggestion I would just make away with that last single track completely. 

The road route was freaking hard though. I gave it my all for the first half but the moment we hit the serpentine climb I just didn’t have any legs left. But what an awesome route though. The whole garden route area is beautiful scenery so I will definitely come back to ride more. Didn’t really get to appreciate it as much as i would have liked given the racing. 

I am glad I wasn't on a gravel bike though (for the mtb), some of the descents would have shaken my bones into another body.

Won't ever consider the route on a gravel, but I'm vanilla like that.

4 hours ago, Rowl said:

I am glad I wasn't on a gravel bike though (for the mtb), some of the descents would have shaken my bones into another body.

Won't ever consider the route on a gravel, but I'm vanilla like that.

I’d categorise the route as technical gravel / easy mtb. The average speed I would say was higher than a typical mtb race hence why I say it’s more a gravel race. I do agree though in that it was quite bumpy so it would’ve been a challenge on a gravel bike. Probably the perfect bike for this would be one of those drop bar hardtails. 

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

I’d categorise the route as technical gravel / easy mtb. The average speed I would say was higher than a typical mtb race hence why I say it’s more a gravel race. I do agree though in that it was quite bumpy so it would’ve been a challenge on a gravel bike. Probably the perfect bike for this would be one of those drop bar hardtails. 

I was on a gravel bike for the short route. Got away from most of the others on the Simola climb & district road. The contour forestry roads had just enough rough stuff & sand in it to not make it comfortable on a gravel bike. And then the long rooty singletrack section at the end slowed me just enough to miss out on a podium, not that an old ballie should podium a short route anyway so all good 🤣 I think I probably would have done slightly better on my mtb, really lost a lot of time negotiating the bumpy singletrack without suspension.

Also very much enjoyed the road race, again on the gravel bike I didn't try to stick with the elites and the bunch behind them was comfortable enough to have a lekker ride, our little bunch thinned out on the serpentine climb but after that comfortable pace again to the finish.

My timing chip also didnt work for the road, luckily I saw that immediately and I walked to the finish line and showed them my Strava upload and they immediately updated my time on the system. Thought it might be useful for seeding somewher but doesn't seem to be the case.