Riding tips for my 10 year old son

Dirk Stoffberg

1 minute ago, DJR said:

And on a side note, one of the very best places for kids to learn insane bike handling skills and overtaking is BMX.........just ask Jewbacca!

This is VERY true. Transferring weight, pumping, time in the air.... It translates to all bike riding

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/4/2024 at 1:14 PM, Dirk Stoffberg said:

Many thanks to everyone that took the time to respond.

Completely agree that our kids should enjoy riding and have fun doing it (appreciate nature/riding together etc), however I would rather teach my kid proper riding techniques in the beginning as it will help make his riding more enjoyable with less falls etc and he will grow in confidence. The learning curve for a kid who doesn't know the correct  techniques is longer and less enjoyable imo, and he/she will have to unlearn any incorrect techniques.

Techniques/tips that I have taught my son so far:

* Shoulders back and chest out (helps breathing)

* Slightly bent elbows in attack position (gives better control of the handlebars)

* Correct foot position on the pedals (ball on pedal enables better power and weight transfer)

* Looking ahead and choosing the best line (gives more time to adjust and you go where you look)

* Deep breaths and hydration (oxygen and electrolytes enable energy transfer)

* Bike position, when to lean back or forward depending on gradient or obstacle, transferring of weight etc.

* Pedal positioning in corners, looking through corners etc

* Pace yourself (prevent over exertion and fatigue)

Most kiddies bikes are quite heavy and rough to ride, since he got his specialized rhyme fs bike he is more excited and keen to ride

Have I got this all wrong, should I rather not teach him correct riding techniques and just let him do his thing, when is the right time? 

All I am hearing is let your child be a kid???

I started surfing in my teenage years and some of my mates who started a whole lot earlier progressed sufficiently enough that when they where in there teens they already had coaches and represented at top level, and the awesome experience that comes with that... I wish I had that opportunity when I was young and to have had the early exposure and coaching, or maybe I am wrong?

great, i think you're doing it right!

I reckon you've answered your own question. If you think he wants to do it enough, then maybe some skills training with an experienced friend for some tips or an actual session or two with a skills coach would be a good investment.

Great topic.

Our kids, 8 & 10 (started racing their mtbikes last year) have a pretty talented mom (4th at SAs Road Elite this year) so we know the amount of work and stress needed to get to (and stay at) the top level and try keep the pressure off our kids as they must just have fun!

What I found amazing is that kids gear (24/27.5/29) at those ages is a bit unfair / unequal re podium places. On that note we just found a nice 26 carbon KTM with 27.5 wheels - haha. He's already eying his mons S-works Epic!!

Buy 2nd hand!! Spoke to a dad last weekend who just got his 13-year old a bargain R125k S-works!! Madness!

Our kids also did a skills course last year as they need to get the basics right! I raced with the older one last year and was pretty impressed he got a 2nd place (Wartburg) Sprog on his first race by himself! He must have listened to me guiding him last year :)

Also, a 1 x is a winner for kids... our 8-year old has a 3x9 but battles to change the front gears so he's got a 1x9!

Only fit them shoes and cleats when they comfortable and ready!

Other factors to consider is handlebar width and crank length - still finding out what's best  given availability!

Edited by Flemish Lion