XCM MTB tyres

MarcoDeS

13 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm considering a pair of these. I won't be riding off-road with them. It will only be for my morning tar rides. I currently have Maxxis Assegai / DHR 2 combo which is heavy and slow rolling. How do they roll on asphalt?

I found them to roll very quick. Perhaps you could get the racing Ralph 2.25 front and rear if it’s just for asphalt rides? 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Jimmy 2.0 said:

you get the ONZA Svelt in a 2.25

Thanks. Hopefully there will be stock if the Pirelli’s in 2.2 available soon as well. 

6 hours ago, MarcoDeS said:

Thanks. Hopefully there will be stock if the Pirelli’s in 2.2 available soon as well. 

What is the ID of your rims? Why are you keen on the 2.2 vs 2.4? 

Is there a big difference between 2.2 and 2.4 in terms of speed that has been proved. Not tread pattern, just width. 

On 2/29/2024 at 7:53 PM, Dappere said:

+1 for Pirelli Scorpion XC RC 

I currently run Crossmark on the rear and Ardent Race front, do you think the Pirelli would be lighter and fasterrolling? I ride mostly farm roads and some tar.

5 hours ago, love2fly said:

I currently run Crossmark on the rear and Ardent Race front, do you think the Pirelli would be lighter and fasterrolling? I ride mostly farm roads and some tar.

In short, perhaps not. I have never ridden the Crossmark, but I have ridden the Ardent Race.

My previous go-to tyre was the Bontrager XR2. I couldn’t find a pair and settled on the Pirelli Scorpion XC RC, as it’s a tyre I have been meaning to try.

The primary thing I like about the Pirelli XC RC is the grip, especially in corners. In terms of rolling resistance, it’s very much like the Bontrager XR 2, maybe even a bit better.

For the type of riding you do, primarily gravel roads, there is nothing wrong with your current setup. Should you want to go with even lighter tyres with less rolling resistance, you could consider the Aspen.

16 minutes ago, Dappere said:

In short, perhaps not. I have never ridden the Crossmark, but I have ridden the Ardent Race.

My previous go-to tyre was the Bontrager XR2. I couldn’t find a pair and settled on the Pirelli Scorpion XC RC, as it’s a tyre I have been meaning to try.

The primary thing I like about the Pirelli XC RC is the grip, especially in corners. In terms of rolling resistance, it’s very much like the Bontrager XR 2, maybe even a bit better.

For the type of riding you do, primarily gravel roads, there is nothing wrong with your current setup. Should you want to go with even lighter tyres with less rolling resistance, you could consider the Aspen.

Yip, I do like the Aspens....

17 hours ago, MarcoDeS said:

I found them to roll very quick. Perhaps you could get the racing Ralph 2.25 front and rear if it’s just for asphalt rides? 

Thanks. I picked up a set of racing ray and racing Ralph at CWC today for 499.00 each. The one is 2.35 and the other is 2.25. they look fast and that's all I'm after. I ride a fixed 42km road route each morning and I want speed. On Thursday and Friday I was having to work my a$$ off trying to keep up with other riders just pedaling with almost no effort. They were shooting the breeze while I was striking matches. 

10 hours ago, Pandatron said:

Is there a big difference between 2.2 and 2.4 in terms of speed that has been proved. Not tread pattern, just width. 

I would think the 2.2 are a bit lighter and hence easier to maintain speed due to lower rotational weight. But no data to support this other than the running of the 2.4’s. Gotta say though, they run super fast on tar and jeep track descents, like I hit 79kph on taal monument tar road down, where other tyres have felt like they top out. 

13 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Thanks. I picked up a set of racing ray and racing Ralph at CWC today for 499.00 each. The one is 2.35 and the other is 2.25. they look fast and that's all I'm after. I ride a fixed 42km road route each morning and I want speed. On Thursday and Friday I was having to work my a$$ off trying to keep up with other riders just pedaling with almost no effort. They were shooting the breeze while I was striking matches. 

Is that the evo casing?

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Is that the evo casing?

I'm not sure. The box says Addix Performance Compound. I don't see any reference to Evo. I'm new to these tyres so I have no reference point. I just got them because they look fast and were cheap.

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm not sure. The box says Addix Performance Compound. I don't see any reference to Evo. I'm new to these tyres so I have no reference point. I just got them because they look fast and were cheap.

Ok the performance line is the entry level compound from schwalbe. Heavier construction, more rubber. That’s still a good price . 

4 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Ok the performance line is the entry level compound from schwalbe. Heavier construction, more rubber. That’s still a good price . 

They may be heavier compared to other xc tyres but they're still a good ton lighter than the Maxxis Assegai 2.50 and DHR 2.40 I was running on that bike. Those tyres work well in a gravity descent and nowhere else. I just fit them and I'm happy.

52 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

They may be heavier compared to other xc tyres but they're still a good ton lighter than the Maxxis Assegai 2.50 and DHR 2.40 I was running on that bike. Those tyres work well in a gravity descent and nowhere else. I just fit them and I'm happy.

Those ‘performance line’ ones without the color stripe also have literally 0 protection against punctures. Just a polite warning 😊 they sell them at sportmans warehouse too for reference. Should be fine for road use though, just don't think about doing any XC-duro’s on them though. You’ll destroy them on the liaison to the first stage…. 

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

Those ‘performance line’ ones without the color stripe also have literally 0 protection against punctures. Just a polite warning 😊 they sell them at sportmans warehouse too for reference. Should be fine for road use though, just don't think about doing any XC-duro’s on them though. You’ll destroy them on the liaison to the first stage…. 

Thanks for the heads up. For the record, I won't be entering any xc-duro's on the Camber. The Stumpy is way too much fun.

I'm just needing some quick rolling rubber for the cycle tour and my morning rides. Since I started "training" ( building base ) my fitness has shot up and I'm suddenly much stronger and leaner so I'm continuing this trend. My only problem is the slow rolling speed on those Maxxis tyres and the fact that tar riding was killing a perfect set of gravity tyres.