Hardtail VS Full Suspension

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, _David_ said:

This is mine, does the job for me road, mountain or gravel.

XTC.jpg

Yoh this is so nice 😎 Is it a large, how tall are you ? 

3 hours ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

Yoh this is so nice 😎 Is it a large, how tall are you ? 

It’s a medium, I’m 178cm tall. Can fit a medium or a large.

1 minute ago, _David_ said:

It’s a medium, I’m 178cm tall. Can fit a medium or a large.

Thank you, I see on their Geometry they say you can ride a L up to 187 ish I am 186 do wonder how good a L will fit then 👀

19 minutes ago, _David_ said:

Best to get measured up, limb length plays a role as well.

Will send it through to the guy that does my setups, because there are bike available in L but not a lot in XL unfortunately 

I've had dual's from most brands from light weight xc to enduro and I do see the appeal.

Now I have not been on one that does not suck up some power going up and down instead of forward. Yes you can lock the suspension but what's the point of it then. 

Sold all and built my HT the way I wanted it and happier than a pig in 💩. The people against HTs still had a old HT that rattled jou stopsels los. The new HTs have great comfort and the new geometry is so capable. 

In which area are you? Maybe we can arrange a lekker test ride then you can decide before dropping money. 

15 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

I've had dual's from most brands from light weight xc to enduro and I do see the appeal.

Now I have not been on one that does not suck up some power going up and down instead of forward. Yes you can lock the suspension but what's the point of it then. 

Sold all and built my HT the way I wanted it and happier than a pig in 💩. The people against HTs still had a old HT that rattled jou stopsels los. The new HTs have great comfort and the new geometry is so capable. 

In which area are you? Maybe we can arrange a lekker test ride then you can decide before dropping money. 

I am in Centurion :) What hardtail do you ride with ? Even if you are close I would just like to come and have a look. 

Two weeks ago I was about to buy a gravel bike. On the way to the LBS here in Durban I realised the gravel bike, especially after the rains here, will not be that much of fun. Decided on a hardtail for KZN gravel (Karfloof excluded). LBS owner agreed with me and said it almost does not make sense to buy a GB here in Durbs unless it's for the pothole infested roads. 

I have an aero road bike and now a hardtail for versatility to get the best of as many worlds as I can. Road, Gravel and some easy single track. 

This 'loss of power' is something I have never experienced. 

I've owned a lot of bikes in many shapes, sizes and travel ranges.

If the bike is set up properly and is a decent suspension platform, there is little noticeable pedal bob unless you're pedaling squares.

I have even built a teeny tiny 20" wheel single pivot ds in my braai room which pedals efficiently. 

All that being said, I am lazy. I hate washing my bike and spending time fiddling. My bike is a tool, it must work with as little fuss as possible. 

Having to deal with a creak creak ping ting pffft tak tak more often than once every 3 years annoys me. So I have accepted that I am not a suitable dual suspension bicycle owner.

I won't try and justify it with jibber jabber, I am the reason my dual suss bikes annoyed me. 

There are very very few competitive XCO or XCM riders who ride a hardtail. Without using extremes to prove a point, the general speedier, more proficient MTB bike riders will be racing (not 'riding') dual suspension bikes.

This isn't because they suck at putting power down 

One thing I can say though, is that bike musical chairs is not worth it. Constantly buying the thing you're lusting over wont stop you from lusting after the next thing.

Ride what you have, then ride it more. You will never satisfy your bike lust if you suffer from bike lust, you will just keep burning money and suffer from sellers remorse 

14 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

This 'loss of power' is something I have never experienced. 

I've owned a lot of bikes in many shapes, sizes and travel ranges.

If the bike is set up properly and is a decent suspension platform, there is little noticeable pedal bob unless you're pedaling squares.

I have even built a teeny tiny 20" wheel single pivot ds in my braai room which pedals efficiently. 

All that being said, I am lazy. I hate washing my bike and spending time fiddling. My bike is a tool, it must work with as little fuss as possible. 

Having to deal with a creak creak ping ting pffft tak tak more often than once every 3 years annoys me. So I have accepted that I am not a suitable dual suspension bicycle owner.

I won't try and justify it with jibber jabber, I am the reason my dual suss bikes annoyed me. 

There are very very few competitive XCO or XCM riders who ride a hardtail. Without using extremes to prove a point, the general speedier, more proficient MTB bike riders will be racing (not 'riding') dual suspension bikes.

This isn't because they suck at putting power down 

One thing I can say though, is that bike musical chairs is not worth it. Constantly buying the thing you're lusting over wont stop you from lusting after the next thing.

Ride what you have, then ride it more. You will never satisfy your bike lust if you suffer from bike lust, you will just keep burning money and suffer from sellers remorse 

Yes but you have lots of power for me only pushing 20w I feel even just changing tyres 😂

11 hours ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

and don't forget the improvement to MTB tyres. We can now buy much wider tyres and that helps a lot with traction and comfort.