GX 12sp Shifting

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

my 2c. Buy a new hanger right away. Remember it is a sacrificial part meant to break so your derailleur doesn't break.
Put the new one on the bike and then get this one straightened and then put it in your saddle bag as a spare. Every bike should have a spare hanger on it at all times. Nothing worse than breaking a hanger or bending one badly and ruining a ride for something that weighs 20 grams and takes 2 mins to change.

Good idea!

Thank you.

On 5/6/2024 at 8:06 AM, David Marshall said:

I don't understand why you would avoid properly checking the alignment of the hanger.  If it is not bent at least you have eliminated it as an issue and can look elsewhere for the problem. 

Poor shifting can be due to a number of causes. You have to eliminate them one by one.

Find someone with a tool and get it done.  In my workshop I charge R120 to for the job.  

OP, listen to this man. He has fixed many a bike in his time and his methodology is bang on in this case.

If the hanger is straight, it may be that the cage is bent from a rock strike, transport, someone knocking the bike over in the garage, etc.

As to anyone saying get Shimano because it's better - both systems can fail. Neither is better, they're just variations on a theme.

(My guess would be that your RD fixing bolt is loose, but without seeing your bike I couldn't say exactly)

On 5/6/2024 at 8:06 AM, David Marshall said:

I don't understand why you would avoid properly checking the alignment of the hanger.  If it is not bent at least you have eliminated it as an issue and can look elsewhere for the problem. 

Poor shifting can be due to a number of causes. You have to eliminate them one by one.

Find someone with a tool and get it done.  In my workshop I charge R120 to for the job.  

Bike is going to my LBS  late this week for some other stuff that's expensive so I need to wait till I've got the cash for that. I was merely trying to confirm as visually it's difficult for me to assess an out of alignment issue.

Edited by love2fly

7 minutes ago, droo said:

OP, listen to this man. He has fixed many a bike in his time and his methodology is bang on in this case.

If the hanger is straight, it may be that the cage is bent from a rock strike, transport, someone knocking the bike over in the garage, etc.

As to anyone saying get Shimano because it's better - both systems can fail. Neither is better, they're just variations on a theme.

(My guess would be that your RD fixing bolt is loose, but without seeing your bike I couldn't say exactly)

Checked bolt tension -loosened to check RD seated properly and retightened but thanks for the idea.

On 5/5/2024 at 7:35 PM, ChrisF said:

A hangher allignment tool is a once off cost.

In our sport these issues is part of the game.

Some bike shops still have the will and the skills to do this quickly .... but it really is one of the easier things to DIY with the correct tool.  

Parktool YouTube is an excellent tutor for this.

Sounds like the top derailleur pully is worn so it first has to take up sideplay before indexing

2 hours ago, droo said:

As to anyone saying get Shimano because it's better 

Nobody said that. Just that they are more forgiving when it comes to minor misalignments, cable stretch, bent whatevermabobs. Yes, at a certain point neither systems will work right. That point is just a bit further with shimano. Call it what you want. I guess its the same reason their chains are more efficient and quiet, they build in that slop lol. (Yes sram chains last longer) Having owned and set up both systems plenty of times, i know this to be fact. Sram b-screw is as sensitive as a non-binary vegan at a bush braai.

Edited by MORNE

• 2 weeks later...

Just in closure - LBS straightened hanger and shifting now 100%. This with a cassette tats done about 1400km!