• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Simon123 said:

I'm in when GravDH appears.

Your bike still has to appear...

On 7/31/2024 at 6:51 PM, Simon123 said:

It's here!! And Rupert says gravDH sounds great!

We definitely agree!!!

• 5 weeks later...

This looks rad! The vibe and gees around the enduro style format is amazing, so why not combine some gravel with that. 

Keen for that free Houw Hoek pie at the end :D 

On 7/31/2024 at 2:13 PM, Red Cherry Events said:

we are just the first to bring it to South Africa

*cough* Eroica Nova *cough*

It clashes with Boland 100 Miler this year. If it's on one of the dozens of weekends without other events next year I'll be very happy to line up for it!

On 7/31/2024 at 2:13 PM, Red Cherry Events said:

This concept isn't unique as it happens in the US already, we are just the first to bring it to South Africa. So please come and support and checkout our route! https://www.gravduro.co.za/route/

It’s great you are putting this on but you guys are not the first to bring it to SA. In 2018 there was a gravel bike gravduro from Trails End hotel using many of the same trails including Hans Se Kop. It’s a great concept and should be a good day out. 

On 7/26/2024 at 8:52 AM, bleedToWin said:

And Durbie Dash also has a gravel option. I wonder to what extent the clashes are due to gravel falling under MTB instead of road, or if they would have managed to mess it up any way. Gaps in the calendar and then double booked weekends. 🙁

On 7/26/2024 at 1:29 PM, Jbr said:

Absolutely not blaming DD. It's the gravel monster Org in my opinion. They were moaning about numbers last year, and this year they decide to pick the same weekend as an OG event (not to mention very well rewarded in terms of seeding) that everyone racing bikes will attend, wether it's on the road, gravel or MTB.

Right now I'm seriously considering skipping Gravel Monster, it's a tough enough race for a weekend already. I'll decide closer to the time if I'm skipping DD rather, but don't see myself doing both

Last year Gravel Monster was in September, they moved their dates to the DD weekend after the DD gravel option was announced

For good measure PPA decided to also now host a road funride a day after the Durbie Dash 🤦‍♂️ So instead of helping the PPA is now basically competing with the only independently organised road funride left on the calendar in the 2nd half of the year.

I think the DD gravel route will be a nice suprise for northenr suburb locals because we have access to farms & gravel roads neighbouring Durbanville not normally accessible to local riders. Also hopefully the 80km DD and 160k GM will appeal to different type of riders, but lets see.

Apologies @Red Cherry Events for hijacking your thread