Chainline question and 1x Drivetrains

johanpre44

I still have an older non-boost bike (from 2016, just when the boost spacing started coming out). I bought the bike new with SRAM GX 1x11 (the frame is 1x specific, no mount options for a front deraileur). My crank is nice but still the 104BCD/4-bolt kind and with the 30t 104BCD  (Raceface Turbine just before the 30mm cinch direct mount model was released). I'm looking at getting a direct mount crank (maybe a Raceface Turbine/Aeffect or Sram GX) specifically to have an option to run a 28t chainring if things get really steep. It will also be easier to clean, maybe lighter and look a lot better.

Riding around home (Jhb/West-rand) I use the middle of the casette, but it feels like when things get steep I spend a lot of time on the large cogs. Around home it does not really get that steep except if I search out those really steep hills but when I go on holiday (visiting George a lot) I do spend a lot of time in the granny gear and suffering up the mountains. And this is the question on the chainline (and chain wear).

Is the only reason for the 52mm chainline to give enough frame clearance (this makes sense with large chain rings)? When calculating the centre of the casette I get to about 43mm or 44mm with my non boost frame asuming the 11 speed casetts is about 43 or 44mm thick (smallest to largets cog distances including the lock ring). Is there any benefit of trying to move the chainring closer to the center of the frame (like having a 49mm chainline if possible).

When I bought the bike the mechanic who set it up moved the threaded bb spacer (73mm BSA shell) from the drive side to the non drive side to improve the chainline a bit to try and reduce chain wear somewhat (I'm not too sure about this since it changes the Q-factor).

Any suggestions or comments on this? should I just stick with the standard and get a nice direct mount crankset?

I wouldn't go with a 28t at the front, increase the range of the cassette and stick with the 30, heck even go with a 32 oval. In terms of chain lines, it doesn't make too much difference on the 1x, don't over think it, if the chain doesn't make a noise when in the granny and or the rear mech doesn't drop the chain then you're golden