help with trek slash sizing

Matthew___robertson

so i’m looking at getting a trek slash and my size is normally a Large but the only size that is available is XL from what i know the slash is a slightly smaller bike in general, i’m currently 184cm tall and im still growing (15yrs) and on the trek site it says someone that is 188 can fit on a xl. and one of the bike shops recommended that if you get a xl to get a lower travel dropper will that help ? please any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

20 minutes ago, Matthew___robertson said:

so i’m looking at getting a trek slash and my size is normally a Large but the only size that is available is XL from what i know the slash is a slightly smaller bike in general, i’m currently 184cm tall and im still growing (15yrs) and on the trek site it says someone that is 188 can fit on a xl. and one of the bike shops recommended that if you get a xl to get a lower travel dropper will that help ? please any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Trek wolvespruit have a large carbon XT slash still

I am 183cm, Large Slash fit me well, an XL would feel like a boat, being 15 and 184cm now also doesnt necessarily mean you are going to grow much more, your growth may slow down significantly, so buying a size up may not work, it is a bit of a difficult situation you are in

8 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

I am 183cm, Large Slash fit me well, an XL would feel like a boat, being 15 and 184cm now also doesnt necessarily mean you are going to grow much more, your growth may slow down significantly, so buying a size up may not work, it is a bit of a difficult situation you are in

yeah i definitely get that my mom and dad are both quite tall. but im gonna try and find a place with a xl i can go and try or sit on to see because my current bike is a xl (didn’t realise it was when i got it) and i can fit perfectly just its a slightly different bike but i will definitely need to try it 

11 minutes ago, Scott roy said:

Trek wolvespruit have a large carbon XT slash still

Just now, Michael S said:

With sizing there is only one answer. 
Go sit on it. 

yeah i sat on a med one yesterday and it felt super small. just trying to find a place that has a xl so i can go sit on it.

19 minutes ago, Matthew___robertson said:

yeah i sat on a med one yesterday and it felt super small. just trying to find a place that has a xl so i can go sit on it.

Is it possible to shorten the stem?  I assume not.

32 minutes ago, Michael S said:

With sizing there is only one answer. 
Go sit on it. 

And if in any doubt .... get a knowledgable person to go with you.

Trusting the shop owner on sizing has cost me dearly ....

I bought a Large Slash 9.8XT from biket.co.za last week - they seem to have stock in size large again, they also seem to have 1 XL in stock if that fits you better.

https://biket.co.za/products/2023-trek-slash-9-8?variant=41009569955979

I'm 1.81m tall, I always ride large, and the Slash in Large fits me super well, and the ride thus far is amazing!

Edited by 440MTB

38 minutes ago, Super Sywurm said:

Is it possible to shorten the stem?  I assume not.

The stem is 35mm, you won't be able to go shorter, unless you go with something very niche and it's going to be quite expensive (and pointless in my opinion), rather get the right size bike than mess with stem lenghts.

Edited by 440MTB

Sit on both bikes back to back and try and ride them round a parking lot or similar. This is the only way to know which is the right size. Trek's sizing charts tend to push people to bigger sizes than they should be on in my experience.