Tandem convert!

Windbreaker

Sure that this'll make MDK and other tandem advocates smile.

In my relatively short time as a cyclist I've been under the impression that Tandems are for ol' farts that can't pedal their own bikes. Although some of them are good for a tow, as soon as they/we hit the hills - that's it they're useless again.

I've been trying to get my 12 yr old son more involved in cycling - he thinks that us ol' farts in tight shorts are "uncool". That is until I introduced him to a certain 15yr old girl at the club who whips all the boys butts. So now he is showing some interest!!!

So on Saturday morning I got him on the club tandem - yes in that foul, foul weather. It was my first time on a tandem ever but I wasn't sure that he could do a 65km club ride on his own bike so I thought what the hell. I must admit I did wear a disguise in case I was spotted by some of my usual riding buddies. 

The outcome - The best fun we've had together for a long time. It was "really cool" to use his words. The demon in him came out and we were accused of destroying the group ride :-)

Ok, so now where do I get a decent tandem for a decent price! Either that or we book out the club tandem for the next 6 months! I'm not sure that would go down well though.
Windbreaker2006-11-06 00:05:02

Welcome Burp to the weird and wonderfull world of Tandemming. It is like owning Jack Russels..... life will never be the same again!!!!!!!

Ok' date=' so now where do I get a decent tandem for a decent price![/quote'] The market for tandems is very well covered in RSA and they are available from R 6000.00 to about R 30 000.00.

My honest advice is dont go cheap as most "double the fun" lovers who have bought cheap have had to upgrade the parts out of necessity due to part failure. Look seroiusly at the Ravo and Raleigh tandems as they are good solid bikes with good components and then at the Cannondale and Trek if you have the extra bucks.
mdk5552006-11-07 02:34:10

I agree on what mdk555 proposes on components. Whatever you do do NOT use Campagnolia, the components are weak and not designed for the aditional stresses impaired by Tandem cycling.

Windbreaker.... I can only smile...... have myself got onto the back of a tandem with a family friend, and am hooked.... such fun, and a great way to train. Been on a single bike, abeit as a "FUN rider, done 4 Argus'... yes in those days (Last one in 2000) and heading for my 5th in 2007.......)

Enjoy quality time with your son, and you will never regret it.  I cannot comment on parts or makes, but know I got a 'bargain' with our tandem.... affordable and reliable. See you on the road.

Big H - Campag components are not weak, the reason that Shimano is more widely used in the tandem market is because they offer the MTB range of components which are better suited to triple chainblades and the wider gear ratios used on a tandem. And it's Campagnolo...not Campagnolia.

Thanks guys' date=' how would you rate the Titan?[/quote'] One of mates owns one and says that the frame is solid, components so far OK except that he goes thru a lot of spokes and believes that the brakes need an upgrade. On the overall though he feels that it is good value for money.

I agree on what mdk555 proposes on components. Whatever you do do NOT use Campagnolia' date=' the components are weak and not designed for the aditional stresses impaired by Tandem cycling.[/quote'] Got Shimano Ultegra on mine and am very very happy so far.

Hey Windbreaker.... I have only raced once on a tandem....

Me and fatty tried to give robby and Uwe a run for their money.... we had so much fun and didnt do to badly for a 1st time stoker (donkey)....

When ever its not a league event then me and fatty always consider going double up....cos it really is doubel the FUN!!!Big%20smileClap

Agree..I have an Ultergra / XT mix on my tandem and it works great. The campag  chorus on my single bike also works extremely well - horses for courses.

Keep the Campy on your half a bike although Campy is not a horse it is a donkey, Shimano is a race bred horse.

Ag wat hier gaat ons alweer.....

And I do not see why you say it is a "half bike". How dumb do two people need to be to ride one bike. LOL