Die Toer in sy moer?

Groot Lem

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After what Ricco did, I can't help but think Andy Schleck maybe using a bit more than vitamins   Wink

Maybe I just don't like him beacuse they have such a good strategy (Team CSC) and my favourite Cadel suffered due to their strategy yesterday...
fastone2008-07-24 02:17:35

If I remember right, the game of golf decided to ignore doping totally.  After some serious accusations by players in the game, their governing bodies just chose to say that it does not happen - a bit like the Catholic Church on child abuse (although the Pope at long last acknowledged this).  I know some players in some of these other sports mentioned - doping is happening in all of them.  How can a rugby player that weighed 73kg when he first played for the Springboks 10 years ago, now weigh 94kg (all muscle mass increase) - physiology does not allow for this to happen in a natural way.  Again, I would like to see stats on the number of non-invasive and invasive tests being done per year on different pro-athletes.  I read somewhere that national rugby players only get about 3 blood tests a year.  Pro-cyclists probably get more than 50.  In the end cycling is one of the few sports that is serious about cleaning up - the others are too scared to open that can of worms.

Lets pick on golf seeing as thats the "sport" they were playing while having a discussion. Wasnt it Gary Player who,  a few months ago, caused a major stir by saying that most pro golfers almost all use some kind of,  shall we say, stimulant.

I remember a few months ago Phil Mickleson getting a cortizone injection in his wrist on international TV but not one word was said about it anywhere. Yet try that as a pro cyclist and you are banned for life.

Surely cyclists are in the spotlight purely because such a concerted effort is being made to have a clean sport.

where are their helmets??

its 1992Smile

didnt they make helmets back then? or were the 'fro's and mullets protection enough?

I don't agree with Dan's opinion on the tour but do yourself a favour and read his "Graham Smith's Diary".  It is the funniest bit of writing I have read in a long time.

Before we get all defensive and emotional about the tour, we need to look at it in context to other sports.

The common argument from the two Ps (please deliver me from those two) is "Look at all the people here" as if that means anything.

Lets remember the tour spectating value is free and people are naturally curious,so if a big event like the tour went within a hundred kilometres of your home and it cost you nothing to watch, I am fairly sure you would go along as well, I would, even if I had no interest in cycling, its just a free interesting day out.

By contrast no other sport is free, yet Wembly is 20 x oversubscribed for soccer tickets at 400 euros each, imagine if Formula 1 threw open its doors and said come watch for free, people would be camping outside for a month to get in. 

You cant judge the spectator level like that, ask every spectator at the tour 100 euros to watch, and I am certain you will find a dramatic drop in spectators.

Another problem is most people who watch the tour listen to commentators who have a vested interest in keeping the tour alive and interest up, so they seldom tell you the sad facts and other feelings amongst the public.

The truth is the French public (in general) are sick of the tour, there is a feeling in France that "France dosnt need the tour", its disruptive to big cities and it is very expensive, in fact I remember seeing a survey where it was worked out that the tour costs the French public around 80 / 200 euros in extra taxes annually.

In a heavily taxed country like France, that a big talking point.

Fair enough the argument for the cost is that the money gos towrds basic infrastructure like resurfacing roads etc but if you have no interest in the tour, 200 extra euros in your pocket sounds inviting.

I am not been critical of the tour, personally I think its fine, (although I prefer the GiroBig%20smile) but lets not kid ourselves it has lost interest over thelast few years, maybe its the doping, maybe its just that there are no big stars like Armstrong / Ullrich to talk about, I dont know, but its not that big a thing with the average french public, believe me.!

i can like the tour and can like to have now a calf muscle problem and be forced to watch the remainder of the tour in my lounge ... go Touries go !!