Nice Picture... No Credit!!!

Cruxpearl

The Picture I took at OFM Prize Giving Big%20smile

http://www.tcsn.co.za/downloads/OFM46.jpg

Picture by Crux/Carel Smith Wink (team Computer-Smith)

Race Report From SuperCycling,

http://images.supersport.co.za/LynetteBurgerOFM06180.jpgThe City of Roses hosted the annual Pick ?n Pay OFM Classic and it was a spectacle of racing by the ladies. Arguably the fastest race of the season was won by Lynette Burger (Harmony/Schwinn), in a hair-raising sprint as she made it three wins in as many weekends for her team.

On a very cold and windy morning the girls started with the under-16 boys and from the start it was attack after attack as the boys looked like Dura-Cell Bunnies trying to get rid of the competition early in the race. With their restricted gears no-one got a real gap on the field and the bunch stayed together till they reached the suburbs after about 30 km of the race.

The short but steep climbs quickly spread the field and only 20 girls survived the hilly section through the most beautiful city in the country.

As the girls turned on the N1 Highway it was the Mountain Bike Expert, Yolanda de Villiers, who decided to show the roadies how to do it as she attacked the bunch and opened an immediate gap on the field.

The always present CBIST team also saw the opportunity and sent two riders (Samantha Oosthuizen and Luzanne Naude) up the road to try and bridge the gap to De Villiers.

All the favourites were happy to let the move go as they knew the head wind would play a huge part on the way back and didn?t want to waste too much energy early on.

De Villiers kept increasing her lead on the field and had a maximum gap on the chasing bunch of 1min 45sec as they turned for home into the the head wind with 30 km to go. The two CBIST girls never had the fire-power to close the gap on De Villiers and were caught by the bunch with around 25 km to go.

The bunch kept attacking each other in an attempt to close the gap on De Villiers whose lead was falling all the time but with around ten kilometres to go she still had 30 seconds on the bunch. Unfortunately the race was one hill to far for De Villiers and on the last three kilometre drag on the Highway she was caught.

The attacking started immediately after the catch as the girls tried to reduce the numbers of the bunch.

Home-town girl Engela Conradie (USN/Kuota/Rudy Project) used her knowledge of the route as she tried numerous times to get a late gap on the field. She was, however, closed down quickly by the bunch. Kelly Tome (BikeMax) also tried her luck but the bunch was in no mood to let anyone get away before the finish.

The fast and tricky approach to the finish made for a very dangerous and hair-raising sprint as the girls not only had to content with each other but also with the under-16 Boys.

It was shoulder to shoulder sprinting as everyone fought for their place in the bunch and as the line approached it was Burger who came out of the chaos to win the race by millimeters from Anriette Schoeman (Proline). Cherise Taylor (Mr. Price) again produced a solid performance and finished in third place.

Results

1. Lynette Burger (Harmony/Schwinn)
2. Anriette Schoeman (Proline)
3. Cherise Taylor (Mr. Price)
4. Laetitia Botha (CBIST)
5. Ronel van Wyk (Bionic/Rauch Ice Tea)

Article by Engela Conradie (USN/Kuota/Rudy Project)

Credit to Reporter... alas no Credit to the Photographer...Cry

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pictures are different sizes and shapes, and their picture has only one person in it... I dont see the similarity.

Hi sorry Cruxie.. I'm at fault.  Embarrassed  They called me yesterday for pics and I send a couple to supercycling.  They picked the best one - the one you took!!  Promise you'll get some credit next time...just don't stop taking awesome pics Thumbs%20Up

Gumpole, are you being serious ?

Cruxie, were did they lift the photo from ? The Hub ?

I would strongly suggest that in future whenever you post a picture you have a small copyright logo in the post.

The Thug2006-11-07 04:15:08

Why, does he sell the pics and make a living of them?????? The HUB is fre domain in any case. Copyright would constitute advertising and that is not allowed.

The pictures are different sizes and shapes' date=' and their picture has only one person in it... I dont see the similarity.[/quote']

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

The original photograph tells a much more meaningful story than the cropped one used by SuperCycling. The original shows Lynette being interviewed with the focus being on her - a well composed picture. The cropped picture simply shows her with an arb hand that is not attached to a body hold a lollipop in her face - no story there. 

Crux - I must also say the pic of the two tandems is a awesome photo - worth actually doing something with.

Why' date=' does he sell the pics and make a living of them?????? The HUB is fre domain in any case. Copyright would constitute advertising and that is not allowed.[/quote']

The copyright wouldn't constitute advertising, and I cannot believe admin would have a problem with it anyway.

As a person who earns (attempts) a living from the art of sports photography, I have become reluctant to post any pictures on any website, unless the images are so small they could never be used in print.

It is sad, but nobody respects copyright laws and the cost of trying to force the end user to pay for the pic simply isn't worth the effort.

People who STEAL should be punished, whether it is a top line Trek of Cycle Labs floor or a picture from the internet.

Crux..... we touched this subject before. I have actually typed a reply yesterday regarding that article... and how the writer continue crediting herself for.... let me stop there.

Let me just say that the irony continues to blow me away - no hesitance to blow your own horn, but not crediting the photographer? Shame on you Engela Conradie, you should know better by now

I actually do not have a problem with them using my photo/s at all,

It's actually quite flattering that one's pictures are deemed good enough to be used for race reports...

It's just that it would be nice to be recognised for the effort... Embarrassed

Really didn't think of it as STEALING Steve. Confused I was just a bit lazy to download the photos our manager took at prize giving and I probably should have known better.. won't happen again

Guest Michelle

Didn't admin post something about the use of images posted by users on this forum?  I believe Supercycling was the culprit last time as well... I really think it's time to get hold of the editor.  Maybe something could be set up that could benefit both parties Wink

but shouldn't SC, or whoever for that matter, when they publish a photo recognise the photographer? If you're a professional it would mean a loss of income, and that means court action etc. I think they have to credit the photographer. (ah ya, obviously a professional photographer won't post his pics on a website where anyone can get it) You should actually scramble your name over the pic like a watermark, with  your contact details, declare that they may not use it without your permission. If they want to , they can contact you first.  See ACTIONPHOTO , they write their name over the photo, if you want the real thing you pay. cervelo2006-11-07 08:08:44