94.7 - Suicide City!

The Stig

Please can someone give me some opinions here.

Was my first time doing 94.7 - absolutely shattered at speeds going down between Jan Smuts and Hyde Park - guys were going balistic!  Water was pouring down road and guys were literally "aquaplaning" at 70km/h, not too worried if the fell and obviously not too worried if they took someone out with them!

Just want to know - can I expect the same at Argus.  Is "Hospital Hill" the same story as "Jan Smuts" if we have wet weather?

I only felt "safe" on the road when I hit Witkoppen.  Before that it was "suicide city".

Didn't enjoy the 94.7 because of the weather and the "down hill" for first half the race.  How has Argus weather been last 5 years or so.  Basically, don't want to waste my money going to do Argus if  it is much of the same as 94.7.

Guest colonel

Hospital bend is worse cause you need to look up and dodge the guys on their hands and knees trying to stand up.

Stay in JHB

ag isnie man. Die ARGUS is much better much more fun and an amazing atmosphere. Be it Fun ride world champs but its a great race. Suicidal?? depends on where you start.

Yaah, believe the only advantage us Gautengers have is that we need half the amount of air to get up Suikerbossie than the low level okes!

Maybe that was the problem - should have started in M, but forfeited to start in U with a friend.

Would that have made much difference - the back okes could be just as suicidal as the front okes!  But then at least the front guys know what they are doing by choice, the back guys seem to have not choice in what they are doing!

Colonel...moet nou nie al die mense bang maak nie, toe!

Cape Town's not sooooo bad!Wink For most of it the Argus is quite safe(well, as safe as anyone can be in a bunch), and the organisers try to take all the necesary precautions if something could possibly prove dangerous.

Guest colonel

you started in U? Do you knw what that U stands for?

U NUTS!

Hospital bend is worse cause you need to look up and dodge the guys on their hands and knees trying to stand up.

Stay in JHB

Ahem! "Hospital bend is worse" because it's in sleepy hollow. Stay in JHB.Big%20smile

Guest colonel
Same people in the same conditions' date='  expect....... the same.[/quote']

Not when we come up there my friend

Front guys can be a bit shaky as well but they're bike handling skills are forsure better than the back okes who only get on their bikes twice a year (94.7 and Argus).

Guest colonel

Stay in JHB

Ahem! "Hospital bend is worse" because it's in sleepy hollow. Stay in JHB.Big%20smile

Hey atleast we got the mountain!!

I felt exactly the same coming down Jan Smuts, but thats bicycle racing in the rain. Some people have more skill and ability on steep gradients, until they crash.

Argus is better in that the hill is pretty near the beginning of the race so you can hang back and descend in peace.

But really I think if the weather is bad and you are worried about crashes you should stay in bed.

5 Argus done.  6 x 94.7

Weather has been good for the past 5 year down in the Cape. 
But the guys do hammer it down.  Even in dry conditions the last 10km going to green point is hair raising!!! 

Improve your skills and hope that the theory of "you fall harder when you go slow" plays out for you....

Second option is don't fall......Big%20smile

Colonel, seems to me the concensus is that the "guys with the mountain" are a bit slow on reaction time.

Thanks all.  Looks like I might be flogging my Argus entry next year - unless someone comes up with an idea of how to incorporate an airbag into the cycling jerseys.

Big%20smile

On the downhills I "accelerated" (blast me if U want) but I have confidence in my bike handling skills to say the least..not that I never took the guy next to me into account which I did that's why when I got into the corners I stayed clear of anyone as best I could...I agree I could have fallen / slid etc but hey did not...It was great fun...& I'll do it again..& again..

Also let me mention to get a good start on the uphills it helped me BUT people were all over the uphills trying to climb/keep upright etc..some were swerving all over the show & not holding their line...what say U here?? that too can take you out ???

"DTThumbs%20Up"