iBike power meter

_Daemon_

Basic principles of training = all endurance cycling performance is limited only by CV capacity (heart/lungs)

If you don't have the CV capacity then you will not be able to ride at 5w/kg fo9r even 5 mins.

Power levels that you can ride at are dictated only by CV capacity in endurance cycling.

Be that as it may, how do you explain the woman at 24 Hour World Champs? In the shorter races, and by this I mean 100 milers, they get annihilated but in the 24 hour racing they finish in and around the people that are killing them in the 100 milers. I've always wondered?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah well, i am just very skeptical about all this.. i have been

cycling now since feb of this year without following any program or

whatsoever and in some races  (tough ones) where i was well rested I

rode good times and places (top 5)..This was in A open category and some races with the

elites (not near top 5 in this cat) where i could sneak in. And don't think for one moment the competition is not tough in jhb Wink.

I do not have time to train a lot, but when i train i train hard. Sure,

I was in an over trained state for most of the year.. but man.. usually after

a couple of days rest i would ride well Tongue.

They all tune me they train with this program and that power and they been

cycling for this and that long.. but I still give 'em a hard time

anyway Tongue

So if i train with power/structured program i will improve more ???

yeah well' date=' i am just very skeptical about all this.. i have been

cycling now since feb of this year without following any program or

whatsoever and in some races  (tough ones) where i was well rested I

rode good times and places (top 5)..This was in A open category and some races with the

elites (not near top 5 in this cat) where i could sneak in. And don't think for one moment the competition is not tough in jhb Wink.

I do not have time to train a lot, but when i train i train hard. Sure,

I was in an over trained state for most of the year.. but man.. usually after

a couple of days rest i would ride well Tongue.

They all tune me they train with this program and that power and they been

cycling for this and that long.. but I still give 'em a hard time

anyway Tongue

So if i train with power/structured program i will improve more ???

[/quote']

You sound like you are getting it right broadly speaking, but I liken it to shooting wildly at a target - you hit a few bullseyes but you waste a lot of bullets. Why not take careful aim, hit more bullseyes and waste less bullets...

You will improve alot. Now you just give them a hard time, if you train on a programe you can beat them.

I had a PowerTap. Switched to the SRM' date=' much better![/quote']

Great - I am glad you like it.

If you train with a power meter, you can see exactly where you need that little bit. Then you can focus on it, and with the power meter you will be able to see it improving

You said it yourself' date=' If you dont have the CV Capacity you cant ride at higher watts. So, if your CV Capacity is higher you will be able to ride higher watts. So train your heart and your watts will also be able to increase.[/quote']

Let me explain - I have never said that you do not train CV capacity to improve performance. What I have said is that power is a better metric to do that than HR itself.

So - yes, I agree with the above statement 100%

Have a great Christmas Big%20smile

Basic principles of training = all endurance cycling performance is limited only by CV capacity (heart/lungs)

If you don't have the CV capacity then you will not be able to ride at 5w/kg fo9r even 5 mins.

Power levels that you can ride at are dictated only by CV capacity in endurance cycling.

Be that as it may' date=' how do you explain the woman at 24 Hour World Champs? In the shorter races, and by this I mean 100 milers, they get annihilated but in the 24 hour racing they finish in and around the people that are killing them in the 100 milers. I've always wondered?
[/quote']

The longer duration means lower intensity and as such they do not get put into difficulty by the "sharper" nature of the shorter race.

The guys training for the shorter race more specifically might be training some shorter durations to help them make splits etc but this is less likely in the longer races I would guess.

Yeah I can't find conclusive answers either! It appears the longer the race the more balanced it becomes. And I don't know of any training that makes you better at 24 Hour races. I think it's a big grey area for alot of the competitors?

For Bike max and Bruce

Wonder....After considering all the pro's and cons - IF you had to choose only one, between a HRM, Power measuring device (without a hrm function) to train with - which would you choose?

Yeah I can't find conclusive answers either! It appears the longer the race the more balanced it becomes. And I don't know of any training that makes you better at 24 Hour races. I think it's a big grey area for alot of the competitors?

Ultimately, it is going to depend on a few factors, but aerobic capacity is going to be the main one. The more power you can generate for the duration, the faster you are going to ride.

I would imagine that knowing the sort of power you can maintain for 24 hours would be very useful information in managing your pacing (which has to be critical for this sort of race, where a spell at the wrong level will cost you dearly later)

I think that the longer the race, the more even the pace becomes and as such, factors like shorter duration power (Anaerobic work capacity etc) become far less of a determining factor and power at threshold becomes far more of a determining factor. Essentially the higher your threshold, the faster you can ride, or the more headroom you have while riding at a lower pace - and as such the more you have left to ride for longer..

Anyway, got to go home now

Cheers

Peter

For Bike max and Bruce

Wonder....After considering all the pro's and cons - IF you had to choose only one' date=' between a HRM, Power measuring device (without a hrm function) to train with - which would you choose?
[/quote']

You have to ask ???

I have not used HR in the last 3 years - so power meter every time.