Rear Casette Gearing

Prince

especially if I'm on the bike for long periods .4-5 hours.

So' date=' like an average day's training for you thenBig%20smile
[/quote']

LOLLOLLOLI WISH!!!!LOLLOLLOL

Token i have a 53/39 on the front and i am definately a spinner not a power rider so maybe i should stick with the 12/25

thx 101%, I was contemplating getting a 12-25 since I suffer way to much with a 12-23 going up hills. I like spinning at a fast cadence and find that going uphill?s I have to slow my cadence down to 50-70Rpm and it's really eats my legs. I normally sit on flats at a Cadence of 95-110rpm<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Ppl argue with me and say that if I do get the 25 I'll be to slow to keep up with the guys using a 23 going up hills, but would a faster cadence not negate that??

As I understand it you are quite a good rider so you should know since you climb with the best of them?

i ride 12-25 for both training & racing.  cant really push the 12X53 in any case!

makes no sense to me to train on 11-23 & race on 12-25 or vice versa.

if you want to build up strength during training,  train on a heavier bike or get a heavy set of wheels.

What is the logic for this? Why dont you use the more difficult gearing to train with in order to build up leg strength then take the strain off to race? Or is the idea to use the more difficult/faster gearing for racing?

Leg strength has no bearing on what gear you can push - the limiter is your CV fitness.

In a 39 x 23 combo you may find that in order to climb a hill at  or just below threshold, you are limited to a cadence of 60-65 rpm whereas if you put on a 39 x 25 combo then you may be able to ride the same power at a more comfortable cadence of nearer 75-80 (estimates only)

Most of the climbs in CT (not that steep) require me to be in a 34x23 or thereabouts in order to stay under my threshold power (280-300w) and keep cadence over 75rpm

I think that the guys will often race with a harder gear due to the fact that the extra motivation and adrenalin will see people push a little harder than when training - we alsmost always see peak power outputs achieved in racing as opposed to training.

Leg strength has no bearing on what gear you can push - the limiter is your CV fitness.

In a 39 x 23 combo you may find that in order to climb a hill at  or just below threshold' date=' you are limited to a cadence of 60-65 rpm whereas if you put on a 39 x 25 combo then you may be able to ride the same power at a more comfortable cadence of nearer 75-80 (estimates only)

Most of the climbs in CT (not that steep) require me to be in a 34x23 or thereabouts in order to stay under my threshold power (280-300w) and keep cadence over 75rpm

I think that the guys will often race with a harder gear due to the fact that the extra motivation and adrenalin will see people push a little harder than when training - we alsmost always see peak power outputs achieved in racing as opposed to training.
[/quote']

Say for example you are trying to stay with the SV buch climbing Red Hill.  The other guys use 39/23 to climb and are hammering 80RPM.  Obviously they are dropping me, who is in the same gear, but just don't have the strength or stamina.  Marius aparently has a similar problem and wants to up his revs by adding the 25 at the back.  So he will be at 80RPM but going slower than the rest of SV and still get dropped IMHO.  Or am I just being stubborn?

In a 39 x 23 combo you may find that in order to climb a hill at  or just below threshold' date=' you are limited to a cadence of 60-65 rpm whereas if you put on a 39 x 25 combo then you may be able to ride the same power at a more comfortable cadence of nearer 75-80 (estimates only)

[/quote']

Say for example you are trying to stay with the SV buch climbing Red Hill.  The other guys use 39/23 to climb and are hammering 80RPM.  Obviously they are dropping me, who is in the same gear, but just don't have the strength or stamina.  Marius aparently has a similar problem and wants to up his revs by adding the 25 at the back.  So he will be at 80RPM but going slower than the rest of SV and still get dropped IMHO.  Or am I just being stubborn?

No - you are correct.

All ading an easier gear will do is allow you to ride a higher cadence for the same power output and speed.

In a race this may be an advantage if, for example, somebody attacks on a climb and due to the fact that you are at a higher cadence, it is a little easier to respond quickly. On top of that I find that I just do not like grinding up Red Hill at 60 rpm when I could be at 75rpm.

Getting dropped on a hill is a fitness issue - gearing will not change this (will you tell him or will I ?)

thx 101%' date=' I was contemplating getting a 12-25 since I suffer way to much with a 12-23 going up hills. I like spinning at a fast cadence and find that going uphill?s I have to slow my cadence down to 50-70Rpm and it's really eats my legs. I normally sit on flats at a Cadence of 95-110rpm<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Ppl argue with me and say that if I do get the 25 I'll be to slow to keep up with the guys using a 23 going up hills, but would a faster cadence not negate that??

As I understand it you are quite a good rider so you should know since you climb with the best of them?

[/quote']

Hi Marius.

You right !! a faster cadence is the answer .

Faster cadence with a good pedal stroke is more efficient than big gears.

Just look at the comparrison between Lance and Ullrich. Say no more!!!Big%20smile

Personally I used to train on a 12-25 and race on a 11-23, the reason is during training you need that easier gear so you can take the pressure off and chill out whilts going uphill. I know in the league I very rarely use my easiest combination of the 39-23, and I generally ride easier gears than those around me. I used to have a 12-25 for racing but then on the small ring I wouldn't use my top 2 gears effectively losing them. Also its easier to cross chain to a 53-23 than it is on a 53-25, I know you shouldn't but then again it's racing, use whatever gear works.