THE DOUBLE CENTURY ? from the passenger seat

Brakkies Sport Fotos

www.bicycling.co.za

THE DOUBLE CENTURY ? from the passenger seat of the support vehicle - Tue 28th of November 2006

Supporting one of the 149 teams taking part in the Double Century in Montagu on Saturday evoked myriad emotions: inspiration, frustration, concern and pride to name a few.

The Pedal Power Association's Double Century is a very different cycling event, in that it combines the competitiveness of a team event with the pleasures of long-distance cycle-touring. Teams consist of 6 ? 12 riders with the official team time recorded after the first 6 cyclists have crossed the finish line.

My job as official support was simple; cheer my team on as they went past, rush on to the next watering spot, take out all the cooler bags, lay them out neatly (with plenty of space between each) so all riders could easily access their relevant energy-boosting goodies, give more words of motivation, pack up all the cooler bags and so on ? Oh, and to pick up any stray riders who fell by the wayside.

Nine odd hours later, with only two weary non-finishers and one moment where I was in the wrong place at watering hole number two (apologies Team Mokambo!), I would say it was a fairly successful attempt at my first foray into the world of official support.

It takes a very special kind of person to do a DC. Not only do you have to be fit to conquer 210 kays, but you have to have the mental strength as well. Being a team event, the team dynamics are fascinating. I have much to learn. Observing out my window, I noticed how being a team player in this event is vital. I was amazed by the cycling formations and how riders knew instinctively what to do when; when to pull the bunch up the hill, when to hang back and when to ride in single file. No time for selfishness in this event. You are only as strong as your weakest rider.

The route is spectacular. I probably had time to admire the scenery more than the riders but the roads were lined with brilliant colours; purple, reds, oranges and yellow, we passed gorgeous, immaculately kept wine farms, crossed sparkling streams and of course trundled up the breathtaking Tradouw?s Pass.

Unofficial photographer, official back up, and enthusiastic supporter, cheering the riders on from the four wheels of the support vehicle was an experience ? but I have to say, I?d like to be on two wheels next year. Calling a social (I stress, social) team for next year anyone?

Online Ed

It is WELL worth it - I will try again to convince 101% to do it!!  It is an awesome race.  And anyway, those Capies are so busy bliksemming each other they don't even notice the joburg teams LOL

bruce: Hey I take offense to that!! I noticed Izzi from Jo'burg, and his "way to much disposable income" polka-dot extreme-c Colnago, with Bora Ultra's etc LOL..then again, I did ride the last 50km's with him and Enzo...

bruce: Hey I take offense to that!! I noticed Izzi from Jo'burg' date=' and his "way to much disposable income" polka-dot extreme-c Colnago, with Bora Ultra's etc LOL..then again, I did ride the last 50km's with him and Enzo...[/quote'] Fatty, are you sure it wasn't the first 50km's and then you popped? I rember seeing Izzi's bike at Cyclelab... getting all set up... very very nice!

I always thought joburg people were aggro, looking at these message boards I reckon you lot bring knuckledusters and flick-knives to your cycling races - eish.

I reckon TCS should enter a team next year and go clock some serious wattage Big%20smile

Hey boet....

YOU HAVE NOOOOOOO IDEA WHAT YOU HAVE JUST SAID......Ride with Kakaa!!! Just ONCE as a team and we will talk again.......

The guy is NOT WELL.......http://www.advrider.com/forums/images/smilies/Disappointed.gif

I reckon TCS should enter a team next year and go clock some serious wattage Big%20smile

Hey boet....

YOU HAVE NOOOOOOO IDEA WHAT YOU HAVE JUST SAID......Ride with Kakaa!!! Just ONCE as a team and we will talk again.......

The guy is NOT WELL.......http://www.advrider.com/forums/images/smilies/Disappointed.gif

Don't worry spidey, he's already training for itLOL

Hey boet....

afKakaaa time then for me... but its for a good cause right ?