Okay whats the concensus on this...........

widget

Hmmmm, I like the idea of a cold castle en route dudet - I havent done that for years - I also like the idea of chatting to someone in the bunch instead of gasping for breath and wondering when that nut up front will take a breatherBig%20smile - I like the idea of finishing with a bit of energy left to do something else in the day and I like the idea of looking out in the morning and if its cold and raining...................well just going back to bed.!

My wife has never complained, but I enjoy participating in things with her, its fun and I look forward to it. 

Honestly it will take a huge change of mind set for me to re-license this upcoming year - so, Scotty I may just take a little draft behind you next time Big%20smile - have mercy on me hey.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dive more' date='

did you make it to the 94.7 in the end?
[/quote']

Am gonna do just that Gumpole - dive more.!

No didnt make the 94.7 in the end,I had every good intention, but, when I saw the weather, I turned over and went back to sleep.Big%20smile

[quote name=widget

when I saw the weather' date=' I turned over and went back to sleep.Big%20smile
[/quote]

Hadn't you decided then already? There is no point in doing something if you are not enjoying it.

My wife asked me this morning how I could get up at 4am to go to Gym. My reply was that Gym is just a means to an end. You have to have a goal to work towards and be able to visualise that goal. Going to gym is just a rung in the ladder.

If I were in your position I think I would also be looking at taking a break and redefing your goals or targets. I have only just started with the licenced thing so I will probably be where you are in a few years time Wink.

Got myself an MTB just because I would never go for long holidays as I would get totally freaked out if I could not get on the bike. Never raced the thing and don't intend to. It is just so I won't find an excuse NOT to go on that bundu holiday...

Time you spend on the bike also depends on age and aspirations.

I used to do 450-500kms per week some 10 years ago and would have no life ouside of the bike. Career and family life went downhill. Unless you want to be a pro, decide how much time you are prepared to spend and adjust your cycling aspirations.

The only way I could eventually find a balance was by commuting. That was 2x Chappies and 2x Suikerbossie every weekday (78km round trip). Did sub 2:40 Argus's etc.

Now I'll be extremely happy if I just finish with the bunch.

By the way - if you manage your weight and do about 250kms a week (with some intensity training), you should be able to survive in the all but the Elite leagues.

Guest Michelle
scotty: Didn't they say that last year as well?  I think they're just trying to boost sales again. Dead

Widget i had the same issues...... i took out my vets and elites licence for next year, resigned from my current team and planning to do only the races i want to do next year.( as times allow me) i went through a very tough time this pass 2 months and decided that cycling is not everything. 15 - 20 hrs some weeks on a bike? i've been cycling now for 2yr non stop and at the end of the day i am tired..... will race next yr the full summer season and take  off in during winter. i want to enjoy my cycling and thats what i am goinig  to do........ i need to do quality time with the misses...... and enjoy life.

You do get to a point where the extra time is just not worth the gain in performance (well for me it's not worth it).

For example, I can train 230km a week and do a 2:58 Argus time.

If I increase my training to 400km a week I have to spend an additional 6 hours a week on the bike.

And that would get me ... ? ... a 2:53 Argus time ?

Just not worth the sacrifice of family time for me.

But everyone has different priorities.

As an ex licenced vet I can tell ya that there is a life after cycling bud. I only cycle for general fitness now,(not good enough for the A bunch). But hey, what a lot of fun back with the hooligans(I mean it in a nice way) of cycling. I admire some of those back riders more than the licenced riders, they certainly suffer more just to complete the race!!

Worst part of it all is growing back leg hairs?? Feels awkward when wearing work pants. However, do all the other stuff in life you always wanted to do, you will meet very different and very interesting people. Good Luck, but hey, keep on cycling, with the woollen legs and all!!! 

Michelle, i do seem to recall them making the same noise last year. Most cyclists will in any case just cycle for fun.

As an ex licenced vet I can tell ya that there is a life after cycling bud. I only cycle for general fitness now' date='(not good enough for the A bunch). But hey, what a lot of fun back with the hooligans(I mean it in a nice way) of cycling. I admire some of those back riders more than the licenced riders, they certainly suffer more just to complete the race!!

Worst part of it all is growing back leg hairs?? Feels awkward when wearing work pants. However, do all the other stuff in life you always wanted to do, you will meet very different and very interesting people. Good Luck, but hey, keep on cycling, with the woollen legs and all!!! 
[/quote']

Your post is like a breath of fresh air Skywalker - Yes I yearn to cycle again with no pressure, to just enjoy it for what it is - even with woolly legs, although I may take longer to get around to that.!Big%20smile

widget: do what i did this season, i did most of my training indoors and did specific workouts for 1hr per day, i have not struggled at all to stay with the sub vets bunch, do quality training and not quantity....... good luckTongue

Well then, to add to the post from Peleton, I can only say welcome. See, already new friends from the "other side"

Widget: If you take out a license, you only satisfying your club and cycling buddies!!! Do what you feel is right. I was in similar situations previously ... way  back in 1995 when I quit cycling ... then in 1999 I started Radio Control and now I am tired of RC ... now cycling is appealing to me and started again last year.

It appears a 5-7 year cycle with a specific hobby works well ... u can always do the odd ride and maybe consider riding in the open categories??

I Have been cycling now for 6 years and got gatvol of the weekend racing, as you all now cycling becomes a lifestyle, but not neccesarily a good one, I have started cycling for the fun again and feel like a brandnew person I enjoy climbing on my bike for the sake of enjoying the ride and not to prove a point. My goal for 2007=ENJOYMENT!!!!!