Sani2C FAQ????

Wazza

I wan't to start this thread because this is my first S2C and I have a few questions I would like to ask. I think there are a few others aswell that have some questions, so let's ask them and hope the experienced guys can help us noobs out.

How do you get your vehicle from Underberg to Scottborough if you don't have support crew?

What spares do you take along and can you get spares along the route at the water points?

What food do you pack in and how do you prepare it in the race village, or do you get food from the camps?

I'm sure there are other questions and I will certainly be adding a few more as the event gets closer.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Car shuttle is arranged by one of the schools in Ixopo. If you cant find the name pm me and I'll send it to you.

2. You must take your own spares. There was a bit of a workshop on night 1 but I didnt see anything on night 2. Nothing on the route.

3. Catering is awesome. You just need to take your cycling stuff, gu's, bars, cytocrap etc. The water points are a real treat.

Just take normal precautionary spares, i.e. tube, derailleur hanger, cable ties, maybe disc brake pads (if it is wet).  First stop had good bike spares available - in general organisers are very helpful to get you back on the road again.

Food is excellent, and you do not need anything more than they give (except if you have very exotic taste).  There is a 24 hour snack table with donuts, milk, cold drinks, fruit, coffee, etc.

Good questions!

Any advice on tyre choice? Crossmarks all the way?

I found Crossmarks a great tyre. Last year was dry. If it was wet I would have been in serious trouble on them though.

I'm hoping my partner knows what they're doing...and by that time I also know what I'm doing??

WW - are you doing the Sani2C?  Good to see you getting into the mountain biking! Smile

Crossmarks may not be the best choice, as you have 103km singletrack which has a bigger chance to be wet than not (I think only 2 years has been dry).  Kenda Karma's, Schwalbe Nobby Nic's, Maxxis Ignitor's are better choices for this race.

I'm hoping my partner knows what they're doing...and by that time I also know what I'm doing??

WW - are you doing the Sani2C?  Good to see you getting into the mountain biking! Smile

So far two rides down and a TON to still learnEmbarrassed

but yip...I'm doing Sani2CBig%20smile

If you are able to have kit for 3 days. Pack each one in a ziplock bag including your riding food if you take. Each morning when you wake up you just pull out kit for that day put it on, eat and hit the start. The better you get at admin such as kitting up, washing bike, findig stuff in your tent the more time you have for enjoying the vibe.

A good tip is to practise cleaning your bike. Try do 3 training rides in a row with just cleaning your drive train. There is a bit of a bottleneck at bikewash because everyone is getting their bike into showroom condition. Sometimes this cleaning causes more problems for the bikes than they would have otherwise. 

Last year there was really no need to wash the bikes after evry days ride , but if its gonna be wet then some cleaning will be needed . But washing the bike is a total over kill . Spray of , dry and lube .

Stay away from high pressure hoses in cleaning bay.  They do have some normal hoses.  I was amazed at how the people ruined their bearings with the high pressure hoses - luckily the normal hoses were not popular - so no bottleneck there.

What about the beer tent??

I'm riding SANI2C just for the beer, I heard it's really good. What are the prices like? (Do they take both Cash or Credit Cards??)

Maybe Big Ben can sponsor me some of those 'Jungle Biscuits' he goes on about???

Take a spare dropout hanger and lot's of chain lube.

Pack loads of sunblock a, very good sleeping bag and a Petzl, it can get cold at night.

Toilet paper and as little clothes and shoes as possible, that black box can get very heavy.

A raincoat for on and off the bike is essential Wink