Am I...

fatcyclist

...the only one climbing the walls during my rest period. After our last league race, I was in Jhb for a bit, so didn't ride the whole week, then last Saturday I did the Double Century and am now supposed to take another two weeks off before starting riding / training again for next season...it's Thursday and I'm climbing the walls!! ConfusedConfused How am I going to cope until 9 December when the hubbers hit Jonkershoek??Cry The only joy so far was a visit to CWC yesterday (but more about that later)...

fatty, i can relate.... last time i actually rode my bike was the amashova and then weeks off before i could do the idt thing but it just isn't the same! i sympathise and feel for you!

Buff: I made the mistake of not taking time out at the end of last year, and halfway through this year (after track SA's and road SA's) I was mentally a wreck and I got sick. Luckily after fighting the bad flu for 3 weeks I was back on the bike and had my best season ever! I don't want to make the same mistake again...Confused

Fatty   the worst is when the doc says you cant ride for the next 4months,  that what i had in march last year

I definitely agree Token. I was off my bike for only 2 weeks after a fall at Highland Gate Mtb, and that was torture. Dont think I'd survive 4 months!

I found this on another forum on the web regarding why we feel this way:

First off, good for you for being smart enough to take the break. Depression during a break is definitely not a universal experience. It is however common enough that it has been studied and published on. There are several possible reasons for depression during a break discussed in the literature. Let's see if any of them might apply to you.

"Underlying disphoria": This theory basically says that exercise is a mood lifter and if you are normally a somewhat unhappy person, stopping your exercise lets you return to your normal state. Have you been unhappy when not exercising or having other big projects in the past?

Loss of coping mechanism: This theory says that some athletes use exercise as an escape from the pressures of family life, work, school or even existential malaise. When you stop exercising, you confront the troubling aspects of your life non-stop, and it gets you down. Have you tried substituting other escapes during your break from riding? It sounds like you probably haven't since you are too depressed to do anything.

Lack of mastery feeling or satisfaction: This one is close to the last but a little different. This theory says that if cycling is the only really satisfying thing in your life or the only area where you feel in control then when you lose cycling, you're left with a bleak life. Are there other things in your life that you usually care about and enjoy? If not, you owe it to yourself to add another hobby, social or work challenge from which you can get some satisfaction.

The danger in any of the above is that if they apply to you, you may not take a break even when your body needs one.

Here are two more obvious explanations for post-season depression that are not discussed in the literature that I know of but which could equally well apply to you. First, if you had a really hard season, which it sounds like you did given all that racing, you could be just exhausted and mistaking fatigue for depression. If this is the case, you should begin to come around mentally about 10-15 days after you started your break. If you are past 15 days and not starting to feel better, this does not apply to you.

If you had a lot less success this season than you expected, you may simply be depressed about not reaching your goals and perhaps questioning the value or meaning of what you've been doing.

This list is not exhaustive but does cover the majority of the cases of post-season depression. Think about whether any of the items above apply to you.

One bottom line strong recommendation though: Talk to others about how you are feeling. If you are still depressed three weeks into your break, call your doctor or a mental health worker.

I took a 3 week break over x-mas last year - SWAMBO's orders and no she's not my coach.

I had one hell of a time getting my interval fitness back.  Wanted to pukeDead half way though each spinning class and that's only 45minutes.  Don't even mention the first few funrides trying to stay on Marius' wheel up Ou Kaapse WegOuchDead.

PS:  Marius did not take a break last x-mas, did not lose any fitness did not pass go and did not collect R200 bucks.  But ever since that 3week rest of mine, the little bugger tends to kick my a$$Angry.

This year my bike will not get any rest!Big%20smile

Oh and did I mention, I get more than enough rest by training only once or twice per week, excluding funrides.

Same here Fatty - took 4 days off after the DC, and all I want to do is ride. It is driving me nuts. Thankfully things get going again next week...

Insightful post above Fatcyclist. Damnitt, now it looks asif my girlfriend was right when she told me I have issues around exercise. Now I'm depressed... where's my bike....

Cry