Garmin waterproof?

Speed Devil

Due to Uncle trevor's generosity I was able to buy my garmin Edge 305 last week.

I noticed that the battery is rechargeable and has a little rubber flap over the mini USB port. I see there are are also little holes underneath, probably for the warnings sounds etc. Further more the unit seems to be pretty watertight.

I would just like to know if these units are waterproof or splashproof and if anyone has had any hassles with water ingress on their units.

I had problems with one after riding in rain, it misted up shortly after and then a few weeks later stopped working. Generally though they are pretty waterproof.

I've taken my forerunner 305 paddling many times and it's been fine (including numerous swims). It seems to vary a bit from unit to unit though.

Admitidly the forerunner has less obvious holes than the edge so things may vary there.

Decado2008-10-06 03:20:00

Talking about Forerunner and these type of things ......I see Mblula of ANCYL has had his fore..... removed at a late in life initiation ceremony. Wonder if he is still water proof???????

Talking about Forerunner and these type of things ......I see Mblula of ANCYL has had his fore..... removed at a late in life initiation ceremony. Wonder if he is still water proof???????

Well, he has to take a shower afterwards for protection...Shocked

if its waterproof in the manual, then try it out, otherwise you will look stupid if it fails and you have to take it back to Garmin. Read the manaul, most men tend to skip that part, but it sometimes help!

I have ridden in the rain, hiked in the rain and even gone canoeing with mine - never any issues - I wouldnttake it underwater like in a pool and I dont think its designed for swimming, but its very capable of been exposed to the odd rain shower and splash.

20081006_050038_20080407_062512.jpg

dunno' date=' ask her......
[/quote']

Konafan, I wouldn't mind asking her, but I'm married so no way af finding outWink

damn... better get my wife to cycle a lot more... maybe she can also inherit a set of legs like thoseThumbs%20Up... I'll get her the Garmin and kit LOL

Due to Uncle trevor's generosity I was able to buy my garmin Edge 305 last week.

I noticed that the battery is rechargeable and has a little rubber flap over the mini USB port. I see there are are also little holes underneath' date=' probably for the warnings sounds etc. Further more the unit seems to be pretty watertight.

I would just like to know if these units are waterproof or splashproof and if anyone has had any hassles with water ingress on their units.

[/quote']

Speed Devil, the Edge is rated IPX7, so it is waterproof.

Garmin 305 Edge is "Rugged and waterproof" according to the box it is sold in. But I wouldn't risk mine too much. I would rather think of it as "splashproof".

Have a Polar which was rated "splashproof". Stopped working after a ride in a mild drizzle. The unit is still in for repairs.

My 305 also did same - after rainy and hectically muddy Pilgrims Rest MTB race last year, misted up and to this day now and then won't switch on. Careful in the wet, bag that sucker or some such - it is not fully watertight I suspect!

PS Never get tired of that pic of Yolandi...

at sabie experience last year if you were there you would have noticed all of us garmin riders with our garmins taped up we were warned about them not being as waterproof as they say so we took out the insulation tape and literally taped everything up where water could even think about the only parts without tape were the actual part that the bar mount could fit in and the screen so to answer your question

They are waterproof enough for the odd river crossing with a bit of splashing but not constant contact with rain and mud