Spruit Bike-jack!

Roons

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not exactly sure where all the road bike hi-jacking were but I think it was over the Main Road bridge going over the highway. With the building of the bike park there maybe they thiefs got "kicked-out" of their "homes" and now taking it out on the MTB riders. How many quotes can you use in one sentence?

Seems there are 2 guys with knives that are responsible for the hijackings in the 12th Avenue area. It can't be too difficult to get them arrested? Surely they must be there almost every day, and we've got a hubber who can identify them?

What is their modus operandi? Do they jump out from behind trees? Knock you off you bike? etc.

Perhaps this info would help others avoid this kind of incident.

Look, I hadn't been aware of the recent attacks and so wasn't ultra cautious. I ride past many pedestrians on the Spruit, most step off the path and I thank them as I pass.

I was heading South towards the 12th avenue bridge and had to slow right down to go through the little ditch near where they did all the work on the pipes. (it's right by the bridge, so unless you do the old detour and cross through the traffic on 12th, you don't have an option but to go under the bridge.)

They were walking towards me and it appeared as if they were stepping out of the way for me to pass, but as I got to within 2m of them they looked at each other and drew their knives and started screaming.

They grabbed hold of my bike and pushed me off and tried to pull the bike away while my right leg was still clipped in and I was on my back. I unclipped and they demanded my shoes, helmet etc.

I would say that they walking up and down looking for a good opportunity  and took it when  they saw it.

Hi Everybody,

Yip  not a great experience! As IanJ correctly said, this is the exact place that i advertise in our newsletetr each week as one of the Hot Spots!
Bad ME!

It was at the last minute that i decided not to go with Andrew to the Race for Victory and to rather sleep a few hours longer after the 'race' to Crater Cruise and back and to rather ride my own ride a bit later in the 'safer' hours.
I had just left home at 8h30 (1.6km to be exact) and decided to ride up to Emmarentia and then look for somebody getting onto the Spruit there to ride down it back home. As i passed the gap between the fencing and the shear drop to the hiway, i remember thinking.... did i see something blue. The next thing a guy in blue overalls pulled me backwards on the bike from behind me and took what he wanted to out of my back pockets and then he pushed me forward over the handlebars and onto the floor. we struggled between each other over the bike all the time i was screaming. 3 cyclists were coming up the drag and the one in front (Wish i could remember his surname so i can call and thanks him!) started to sprint, i think the mugger must have seen that the guy was coming and he kicked and struggled with me and then let go to dissapear over the edge.
The funny thing is that i cleary remember 2 cars wizzing by, not one of them hooted or tried to help (Folk are strange!) anyway as our receptionist said 'ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you' How right she is!

Thanks everybody, all is well except for a black and blue leg from the fight i put up to ensure i kept my bike! It could have been worse. Unhappy

Spruit attacks:

I met this afternoon with the Randburg Cops that have the MTB unit. Ryan, I gave them your info. They'll be calling you. They're putting together a plan to catch the rodents! Will keep updates coming when relevant.

Ali:

Glad you're okay. Awful experience! The cops knew about your incident. They do two patrols a month in that piece of bush (in the paintball quadrant) and make arrests each time! Usually illegal immigrants. They reckon the population on that side grew since the two bike park quadrants were cleared of 'residents'.

The cops had a search this afternoon on Bryanston Drive - near Cambridge. Either looking for illegals or they have a Xmas party to pay for Wink

Maybe we should get to see if they will do this on 12th? I always see them on Bryanston checking papers etc, but never 12th

Do these attacks happen on random days and times or is there some sort of pattern here?

Maybe we should post the date and time of these bike-jackings to see if there is a pattern. That way people will know when to be extra vigilant.

Do these attacks happen on random days and times or is there some sort of pattern here?

Maybe we should post the date and time of these bike-jackings to see if there is a pattern. That way people will know when to be extra vigilant.

Well there's been 3 (I think) reports now of 2 guys armed with knives hitting in the 12th Avenue bridge area in the late afternoons. That seems like a pattern to me.

Well there's been 3 (I think) reports now of 2 guys armed with knives hitting in the 12th Avenue bridge area in the late afternoons. That seems like a pattern to me.

And that is just on Hubbers. What about on people who don't HUB?

This problem could be far more serious than what we think.Shocked

Why not open a Forum called 'danger zones' or something to warn riders where danger lurks and establish some sort of profile.

One more thing, nah, can't be, but let me mention something about scare tactics to ensure the new bike park is proffitable from the moment it opens its gates .........!! 

While on the note of people who clearly watch too much T.V., who's up for hiding in the bushes around this danger area with some paintball guns with marbles or frozen pellets in em and aiming for the face and eyes of these fu**ers...?

MTBaaisikilist, if your joking, I'm in.

If you're serious, pm me. I have a paintball and BB gun.

I ride the spruit with my wife and kids. They look forward to their Sunday afternoon ride, and I won't allow these low lives to take my family time away.

One more thing' date=' nah, can't be, but let me mention something about scare tactics to ensure the new bike park is proffitable from the moment it opens its gates .........!!?
[/quote']

i think it sucks that you'd even suggest something like that. shame on you.