Can you use a NON-UST tyre as a tubeless

Brakkies Sport Fotos

Hi

What is the dangers in using a non-ust tyre (Continantal Spead King with gatorskin) on a Crosmax tubeless rim.

Just add sealend, get it pumped and bob's your uncle?

How hard (or low) can you go without snakebites etc.

Anyone doing it.?

On Stan's they say you can ride non UST tyres, but be sure to keep the pressure up then, as the side wall is a little weaker...

Popeye, I'm currently running a tubeless setup on normal rims and normal Larsen TT's.

No problems whatsoever and have only had 1 puncture that the Stans immediately sealed.

So........ as you say........

Just add sealend, get it pumped and bob's your uncle

popeye,

on a UST rim you will still have to use the Stans Rimstrip to get a proper seal but you won't need to eal teh spoke bed.

For a list of non UST tyres that can be "NoTubed" check their website, www.notubes.com

However I have to tell you that UST tyres are just better in every way except weight of course but they are far more reliable and they roll a lot better.

Also Stan's is high maintenance system. I've seen rims rotate inside the tyre and blow.

Never seen this happen to a UST tyre.

Pop eye I know Mud Dee rides his like that non ust tyres as tubeless, know he uses a normal rim that he converted to tubeless. pm him he'll explain gladly I'm sure!

Thanks guys.

So, last night I took the crosmax rims and put the speed kings on, Add 2 cups of stans in it and took it down to the gerage for "quicker" air.

I could not get it pump up with my manual pump.

You could hear the "shots" as it settle into the rim.

I turn it every way to see if any juice is running to the outside, but nothing. Its seems fine to me.

I pumped it 5psi (can go max 6.5psi).

Is 5 to hard? Obviously now if you go softer , you can loose some air?

not sure

At the moment I use Crossmax Xl's with normal Conti speedking tyres.(wirebead) They are superlight! I run them at 1,5b f and 2b rear. Did a 24 h and two races without any troubles. The sidewalls are no thinner than any tubless ready tyre. They inflate easier than ust tyres. And at R150 a tyre...its cheap too.

I pumped it 5psi (can go max 6.5psi).

Is 5 to hard? Obviously now if you go softer ' date=' you can loose some air?

not sure[/quote']

You mean bar right? Go home right now and let some air out! You shouldn't need to pump them harder than 3 Bar.

Is the Speed King a proper XC tyre with traction and all the rest?

Speed King 2.1 & 2.3 "

The fast option for marathon races

Spikey, open tread which is low profile enough for high speeds yet grippy in the gloop   

The Speed King is designed for marathon racing. The tyre offers low rolling resistance and secure grip at 510g (2.1 ProTection version). The Speed King masters various terrain, from fire road to moist singletrail with the low profile tread ensuring a faster lap time. The shoulder knobs reach deep into the side for predictable handling on hard and loose pack giving you enough traction where others already skid and slide. Available in the following versions: Wire / Folding / ProTection / Supersonic.

Have you gone home to let some air out yet?

Not yet , only after 18h00. Hope the tyre dont blow up in the gerage, my wife is going to kill me if that snotty stuff is over her pot plants.

Titus: - - - - - - - - -

You see the line alongside your name ? Thats how it normally looks on the road as well. Don't go over it.

Naughty boy !!!! smiley36.gif

Not yet , only after 18h00. Hope the tyre dont blow up in the gerage, my wife is going to kill me if that snotty stuff is over her pot plants.

somehow i read that as "that snotty stuff all ver her hot pants..."

I need to take some leave..

Titus: - - - - - - - - -

You see the line alongside your name ? Thats how it normally looks on the road as well. Don't go over it.

Naughty boy !!!! smiley36.gif

Roadies are weird!

Titus, I checked the tyres as I got home, It lost a lot off preasure (about up to 3bar), and I thought , no hell I can pump it everynight.

So, I pump it last night to spot on 3 bar, and both are still 3 bar this morning.

I guess, it lost air yesterday but eventually sealed and now it , it.

Will use it on saturday and sundays's race to see if it holds the air.