All cramped out

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recommend not mixing gym/'leg strengthening' exercises with cycling to help avoid cramps, espec in calves. eg calf raises. Even hard hiking to some extent! The the way the muslce contracts in cycling is different to these other activities and may contribute to confusing the 'spring' that controls muscle tension, even after just riding for a short period.

A bit controversial, but streching all the muscles in the legs before you go to sleep at night may help the nightly cramps. Some people say stretching helps nought while others live by it.

The other thing is, if you start cramping in the upper legs towards the end of a ride, it usually means you not used to the distance or intensity and need more training.

Ou seun hier is baie tannies in die aftree-oord wat enige tyd vir jou 'n lekker bord kos sal kook. Van hulle is nog wulps vir hulle ouderdom. Jy moet net laat weet, hoor.

Hi Bored Girl!

There's lots of advice here which could force you to alter your lifestyle completely.  Confused

You had the cramp on the leg extension machine, right?  Did you warm up properly beforehand?  (some kind of cardio exercise 10-15 minutes before the time, stretches *in my humble opinion* don't cut it as people tend to rush them)

Did you eat something before you went to gym?

Were you drinking enough liquid?  Typically when in gym I don't use energy drinks if I'm there for under an hour and a half, but water definately as I sweat like a horse (I'm sure many people can relate).

If it's specifically calves that cramp up - maybe your technique on the machine is wrong?

For the nightly cramps - sounds like over-exertion...  After a tough workout, try icing them before going to bed - works for me Smile

Hope this forum is answering your question! Wink

hi Vleuelmoer,

i always start with cardio - lately it has been rowing

water i drink like there's no tomorrow

and as to eating - i dont eat before i go to gym for about an hour hour and a half, and when im done i give it at least 30min before i eat something (waiting is not always easy i might add)

i dont do calf raises at all - even when i went to a trainer i refused flat out because i know i have a problem

night cramps havent happen in a loooooong time thats why this was a complete surprise

the only thing that i had done differently is that i hadnt eaten fruits and veges for about a week, or at least it wasnt as much as before that

so i was wondering if that could have been it

thanx for all the responses though and i might think about those sports salts

my leg is ok now

went training sun - didnt push it and last night had a good workout and its all 100%

now lets see how that 35km goes down......

Great to hear!Big%20smile

As mentioned, your body develops a "memory".  With time I'm sure the cramps will get less - if they recur!

I also hardly ever cramp (except when pushing really hard during races/fun rides, or going well beyond my normal training distance), it usually happens afterwards when I try to stretch, so then them ice packs go on the quads first, then the hammies, and lastly the calves!

Good luck with the ride Smile

Hi Bored Girl!

There's lots of advice here which could force you to alter your lifestyle completely.  Confused

You had the cramp on the leg extension machine' date=' right?  Did you warm up properly beforehand?  (some kind of cardio exercise 10-15 minutes before the time, stretches *in my humble opinion* don't cut it as people tend to rush them)

Did you eat something before you went to gym?

Were you drinking enough liquid?  Typically when in gym I don't use energy drinks if I'm there for under an hour and a half, but water definately as I sweat like a horse (I'm sure many people can relate).

If it's specifically calves that cramp up - maybe your technique on the machine is wrong?

For the nightly cramps - sounds like over-exertion...  After a tough workout, try icing them before going to bed - works for me Smile

Hope this forum is answering your question! Wink
[/quote']

I agree on the warm-up and stretching, enough water.  But doing leg extentions doesn't involve your calves????.....you use your quads for this exercise. 

Bored girl,  you should try a few things to see what works for you....i don't cramp in gym, but i cramp really bad on the bike....(quads mostly).  in my case it's a lack of training and not enough fluid.  but gym....never cramped after training....just don't go to hard on yourself. 

i know it was bizzare

plus it was during peak hour so some embarassment was involved

i dont know how my legs would perform on long rides  but i used to snow ski when i was younger and had very strong legs

now thanx to gym they are getting back to what they are supposed to be

waiting for the ultimate test though - that long hilly ride.......... 

I agree on the warm-up and stretching' date=' enough water.  But doing leg extentions doesn't involve your calves????.....you use your quads for this exercise. 

Bored girl,  you should try a few things to see what works for you....i don't cramp in gym, but i cramp really bad on the bike....(quads mostly).  in my case it's a lack of training and not enough fluid.  but gym....never cramped after training....just don't go to hard on yourself. 
[/quote']

Hi dudet

I get confused between what you call them (leg curls are the one where you sit and extentions where you lie on your tummy?)

Anyway - although not exercising the calves, you do use them to keep the toes pulled up (or the foot steady).

In both cases, had the machine not been set up properly, calves might have been affected.

But yes, just glad to hear that BG already seems to have solved this!

Smile

Here's my personal observation. My wife has suffered with night cramps for quite some time. She is not an active individual so it is not as a result of training too hard. What I have noticed is that she consumes a large amount of fluid (primarily water) daily.

I recently fell ill 3 days before a major race and in an attempt to flush it from my system I upped my fluid intake (again water). I started cramping about 20min into the race and basically suffered through them for the rest of the day.

It is my opinion that excessive water consumption causes an upset in the electrolyte balance which then manifests as cramping. There has been a lot written about hyponatremia of late, including some interesting articles by Tim Noakes and I think that we are misinterpreting cramps as dehydration when in fact they are the complete opposite. The human body is quite capable of handling being in a mildly dehydrated state but hyponatremia is extremely dangerous and potentially fatal.

True as well, sire!

But how much is too much?

A lot of individuals struggle with the recommended 8 glasses a day...

I understand that hyponatremia is due to "excessive" fluid use?

I remember speeding down the N1 after the 99'er because I couldn't get my "seized" leg off the accelarator. Like Sara I have nightly "attacks". I've been in my wife's bad books occassionaly for literally booting her out of bed Angry. Well almost. 

He he Clap Dont you just hate it when that cramp (or spasm) attacks you in the middle of the night or when you least expect it. In my case its usualy the calf muscles late at nightOuch

Remeber once having to leave a mate lying on the side of the road unable to move without throwing a cramp - while we went back to fetch the bakkie to carry him home - oh so funny and sooo glad it wasn't me.

My imo cramp is usually due to over exertion, either riding for longer than you are capable (or trained for) or riding longer and harder (higher exertion) than you are prepared for, very rarely seems to be due to mineral defciency.

Was once told by CT Sports Scientest that all the mineral supplements for cramping are in most cases good money thrown down the loo..

I get confused between what you call them (leg curls are the one where you sit and extentions where you lie on your tummy?)

Anyway - although not exercising the calves, you do use them to keep the toes pulled up (or the foot steady).

leg curls are the ones you lie on your tummy (always hated thse so i dont do much of them) and funny enough they should excersice your hams meanwhile all i feel is calves - cant put much of resistance on that particular one either

the leg extention is a sitting one but you dont actually need the calves much (and yet i got my cramps right there) as the pad holds your feet....but who knows......

it will be a mistery and yet im happy it went away and cos of my theory i am eating more veges and fruits these days.....

Interesting indeed!

If the pad pushing down on your shins for the extension was too far down it might have forced your foot into a funny position aggrivating the calf.  But it's all speculation by now, eh?

But fruits and veg is the way to go!  Stock up on that B's and Magnesium!

I read in the Bicycling mag that cramps were caused by the lack of fluids in the body??? Can anyone give me advice on what to do if you start cramping during a ride? should you take on more fluids or not ???  tks