MTB Pedals

Thug

I have put my old Shimano PDM 520's on to the SC, but would like to replace them with something lighter.

I'm looking at either the Crank Bros Eggbeater SL's or the Shimano PDM 540's.

Obviously from a pure weight point of view the SL's are lighter, however I have heard that with the Eggbeaters one has to rebuild them quite often.

Any thoughts / comments ?

Shamus ?

thats prolly gonna upset someone - you know what I eman- I went from 540's to steel beaters and I love the beaters, I really love them.

I really do.

(plus I don't ride enough to wear anything out)

Time ATAC XS' date=' ridden with all the rest, and I disliked all of them![/quote']

Do these use the same cleats as Shimano?

For the 110 000 000 time... nothing beats Egg Beaters... now let's say it all together now..." NOTHING BEATS ........."

The rebuilding thing is BS... had mine to 2 yrs now (SL's) and they have no wear & tear yet.

Time ATAC XS' date=' ridden with all the rest, and I disliked all of them![/quote']

Yip, best pedals ever.

Egg beaters are a fad like yoyo's

It's either egg beaters or go home !!! But expect to break a few over time . Rocks tend to break the clips but can be repaired for R120.00 (Crankbrothers) . RE bearing replacements , the cheaper egg beaters do need rebuilding after about 2000+kms .

Don't bother with either.

Being mountain biking, if your bike is under 13kg the weight is a minor factor - you will gain plenty more benefit by improving your technical riding skills, your pedalling efficiency and by getting your bike setup (shock & tyre settings) fine tuned for performance.

Had egg-beaters for about 2 years and had no problems. Riding in mud was a pleasure. However they weren't very kind to the soles of my Sidi Actions. Now I'm back to M540s, which really aren't that bad at all.