Shock lube question...

HomerSimpson

I see that on the SRAM website they recommend that you put a few drops of oil on your (Rock Shox) shocks before or after every ride (helps with the dust seals apparently).  Anybody regularly do this?  Which oil (they recommend a "fork oil", like that helps me!) to use?

You can use a teflon lubricant (I use the Finish line teflon lube) to or the official rock shox lubricant called "red rum". Both should be available at any decent mtb shop.

Make sure the upper tubes and area arond the top seals are clean, then lubricate the upper tubes just above the rubber seals, use a small plastic tie rap (cable tie, zip tie) gently push the tip of the tie rap under the top of the rubber seals and allow some of the lube to run in under the seal, slowly working your way around the whole seal. Once both fork seals have been lubed work the fork up and down a few times and then wipe off any excess lube from the seals and upper tubes. 

Doing it after or before every ride is ideal but not practical, but do it at least once a month - the idea is to keep the foam strip (just below the seal so you cannot see it) and the rubber dust seals slightly lubricated.

SwissVan38820.7612615741

Sorry thats wy i'm a roadie' date=' much less work needed on the bike[/quote']

You can always take your MTB to that bikeshop you work for...

I lube mine before every ride I do.

I dont have socks on mine so I use the lube to clean out the grime of the last ride as well.

I use a yank product called WD40. A yellow spray can. You can get it at most Mica stores @ about R50-00. I like to use it because I have been using it on my bike since i got it.

But I think you can just as well use any spray lube on it.

Hope it helps.

smileys/smiley1.gif

vanwa_mordo - Well done for doing it before every ride allthough WD40 is not really the ideal product to use, (about 75%parrafin).

Quote from rockshox web site:

http://www.sram.com/en/service/rockshox/tuning_tips.php#DosA ndDonts

CLEANING DO's and DON'TS

Do: Wipe all excess water, mud, and sand from the upper tubes, lower tubes, and crown area with a clean rag or bristle brush (Park makes a great one!).

Do: Wet a rag, or spray your fork with isopropyl alcohol or degreaser. Wipe the crown, top caps, upper tubes, dust seals, and lower legs clean.

Do: Apply fork oil, RedRum, or Teflon-based lubrication to the upper tube area nearest to the dust seals. Cycle the fork a few times to circulate the lubricant. You can even gently pinch the dust seal, nearest to the upper tube, and add some lubrication (mentioned above) to the inside of the dust seal. This will lubricate the foam ring. Wipe away any excess oil from the upper tubes and dust seals.

Don't: Stop by the local car wash and spray your bike with a power sprayer. This can force water into the dust seals and contaminate your seals, foam rings, bushings, oil, and rebound damper with water, dirt, and sand.

Don't: Use a solvent (think WD40) to clean or lubricate your RockShox suspension.

Use suspension or Teflon-based lubricant. Solvent will damage o-rings, seals, and bushings.

Go pick up that can.smileys/smiley36.gif

All the lubricants (Teflon based etc) all contain some petroleum distillates.  What you must stay away from is thinners, acetone etc (things that will actively strip away lubricants and damage the rubber and plastic seals.  Paraffin has roughly the same chemical make-up as the heavier oils.  But WD 40 is probably not ideal, as it contains only about 12% heavier oils (if memory serves), and it contains some alcohol (helps drive out moisture).  At a guess the fork oils are constituted with more oil and less distillates (and the price goes up accordingly).

Thanks for all the info.