Training wheels and Racing wheels

JoeK

Hi guys, don't know if this question has been asked before, which is your racing wheel sets and why, and with wich do you train?

In the near future I'll have to start thinking of buying a racing set?

Adios Wink

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

American Classic CR420 for training, Zipp 404 for racing. Any old wheels are cool for training, ancient Open 4 CDs laced to 36-hole Dura Ace hubs are nice, can take any sort of a beating. Only reason the Zipps don't get used every day is cause a punctured tubby is like the 'lelike ding' Robbie Wessels yodels about...sorry that is a bit obscure I'll be the first to admit.

You only need special training wheels if your racing wheels are poofter wheels. Get proper wheels and train and race with them. Even the gelheads in souped up Corsas don't have special mags for posing and going to work.

If your racing wheels cannot take the punch, either go slower or get better wheels. Wheels just take up space in your garage. Life's too short to fiddle with wheels each time you go for a ride.

It reminds me of Doom for Crawling Insects. The other day I had a fly walk over my kitchen counter. I reached for the Doom for Crawling Insects but just as I was about to squirt the bugger, he got up and flew around my head - zoom, zoom zoom. I then got the Doom for Flying Insects out and took careful aim and....he landed and walked towards a piece of cheese. I quickly holstered my Doom for Flying Insects, drew my Doom for Crawling Insects and then debated whether he/she was actually crawling or walking.  I then decided the bugger was crawling and took aim again. But just before I could zap the bugger he ran a few short paces and took off.

I then just ate the cheese and went for a ride. Haven't seen him since.

There is one very good reason for training and racing wheels.  Your racing wheels get the good tyres and your training wheels get the former racing tyres (ie after 10 or so races retire them to the training wheels).  That way you feel nothing riding your daily commute through urban glassland.

Same reason I have two MTB wheelsets - one has knobblies on, the other has semi-slicks.  Much easier to change wheels than tyres.

hahahaha that's funny JB - I agree with you that whatever wheels are cool, it is only when you have tubbies (which definitely feel better to race on than clinchers....they roll, man, they roll) that I bother changing wheels between racing and training. Interested to try out a set of the new tubeless ones, they apparently feel like tubbies.... (ja ja I know, its probably all in the mind, and my mind is a bit small, so...)

intern2008-10-14 13:10:11

ya, well, I agree with JayBee here - all those plonkers fuzzing about wheels and tyres....get one set for everything, put the damned ultra gator skin on (which is not produced anymore - unless you take quantities of 100 or more) and ride that thing until your legs blow and then further! laugh at the bling-bling carbon freeks and kick it.

hahahaha that's funny JB - I agree with you that whatever wheels are cool' date=' it is only when you have tubbies (which definitely feel better to race on than clinchers....they roll, man, they roll) that I bother changing wheels between racing and training. Interested to try out a set of the new tubeless ones, they apparently feel like tubbies.... (ja ja I know, its probably all in the mind, and mine is a bit small, so...)

[/quote']

ha, mine too. put a nipple in there and it's occupied for a long time!

That will teach you not to underestimate the intelligence of flys. The little bugger knew you had 3 kinds of doom with you..

Thing is, I have a set of vuelta airline 2 wheels.  Got it with my bike. Do you guys have any info on these wheels?

Flippin heck I knew I was gonna get a pasting for that one! Well spotted TheLegend....just beat me to the edit...suddenly realised what I was sharing with the world. Confirmation, of course, of the claim made ...about the mindlet, not the noblet!

That will teach you not to underestimate the intelligence of flys. The little bugger knew you had 3 kinds of doom with you..

Thing is' date=' I have a set of vuelta airline 2 wheels.  Got it with my bike. Do you guys have any info on these wheels?

[/quote']

Fly: singlular

Plural: flies.

Rule number one: If you cannot pronounce the wheel's name when you're pissed, it is a poofter wheel. Vuelta Airline Too.....it rolls off the tongue like a square wheel.   Sell one set and go for a ride.

I have a set of Easton EA90 earo which I use for training and bad weather racing (strong wind etc) and a set of American Classic carbons for racing. As said above the tubbies roll a lot better and the ride is better too. The only downside to riding/racing with tubbies is that if you puncture then your ride is over and it's quite expensive to repair a tubby.

At the end of the day it's your choice and the size of your bank account that will determine what you use to train and race on.

Thing is' date=' I have a set of vuelta airline 2 wheels.  Got it with my bike. Do you guys have any info on these wheels?

[/quote']

Rule number one: If you cannot pronounce the wheel's name when you're pissed, it is a poofter wheel. Vuelta Airline Too.....it rolls off the tongue like a square wheel.   Sell one set and go for a ride.

Singlular: singular.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. I'm gonna go drink all the booze in my pub to establish whether or not my wheels have turned fag. I'm a bit worried about the Roval Controle E5 suckers on my MTB...

[/quote']

That'll teach you for buying a Trek Wink

Do what JB says.  Sell the heavy poofter wheels and get yourself a decent handbuilt set.  Anyone know a wheelbuilder?

[/quote']

Eeshtin EA nineteesh and American Clashicsh....My wheels aren't pooftersWinkLOLLOLLOLLOL
Speed Devil2008-10-14 13:23:42

[/quote']

Sorry about the confusion johan, I am a Dutchman, (those  Puke Twatson talked about the other day). Will do a spell check next time.

So is this poofter wheels?

What do you guys recomend??

Singlular: singular.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. I'm gonna go drink all the booze in my pub to establish whether or not my wheels have turned fag. I'm a bit worried about the Roval Controle E5 suckers on my MTB...

They say every grammar flame contains at least one schpelling error.  Nasty piece of work that Bornman oke, this should teach him....